1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

India is a poor country !!

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by piyarustagi, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Are you kidding me? Please do explain how software industry is helping the uneducated, who are the majority of the population in India?

Please... Africa is the most funded continent in the world now only BECAUSE of how its situation was brought out to the world, through well wishers, NGO's, etc. You need to let the world know what's the status of one's country and see if they can help us bring up our fellow people..

So let me ask you something. You feel humiliated, fine. What are you doing about it? Have you tried to find avenues to see if you can help back in some form?

This is the exact attitude that is killing our country to come up. Please try to change your perspective about our country, be proud to be an Indian and help the underprivileged in ways you can.

Thanks !!!

sindmani likes this.
  2. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Did I ever say I am not proud to be Indian? DON"T ASSUME. I am leading a group in my local community to help women to form small businesses and students for their education and job opportunities and I have plans to do something big for my country.

We should tell the truth to people. Not all indians are poor even though most of them are. They think all indians are poor. When a lady asked me the same question, I explained her the truth. She initially thought all indians are poor. So, telling the truth is very important.

Don't you think software companies didn't help our middle class people to get good jobs. I don't know about you. But my own family has come out of poverty only because my brother and I got jobs in software companies. Its the case in most of the households in my community.

Recently middle class people have started helping poor. When I got a job, my first thought was to help my country. I have worked in various non-profits in india and I'm still working virtually on some of them.

What I meant was, tell the truth to people. But don't let them assume that Total india is poor.

sindmani likes this.
  3. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

Hi

As shown in figures .... Indian economy may not show big in comparison with the western nations, honestly in recent years due to sofware MNC s lifestyle has totally changed for many who were not able to dream of a salary of Rs.10,000 in their life, now easily draw 20,30, 40,000/ working in software co's.Many young people after their school finals come to city and work in call centres ,are having better living. Its understandable that though poverty comparitively cannot be wiped out. Awareness is more these days in India how to live decently with a good income so people are working well overcoming their set backs.The no.of educated people is on rise.
    What we were a decade ago is not the same now,.........to the westren society only a few are aware of a country called India and they conclude what they show in television or movies.Recently there was a show by Gordon Ramsay s visit to India, in Mumbai they captured shooting only the slums ,does that mean Mumbai is so backward ,people here want to believe what they see.They captured the tribals in deep interior of rajasthan and their lifestyle ,do the whole country live that way.Obviously the percentage of poverty is more but we are developing ,the resources has to be enough.
    We can have a cool good feeling that worldstop 10 richest men are Indians.. Lakshmi Mittal,.Mukesh Ambani,Anil Ambani ,Azim Premji.Birla

4. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

When you don’t accept that there is a problem then it will never get fixed, so first accept the truth then we can find a solution.

5. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

Only the illiterate’s or people who intentionally want to humiliate will make a blanket statement like “Total india is poor.” , I am least bothered by those people but don’t hide the truth to people who genuinely want to know the truth about India.

6. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

The same can be said of USA, people in India think that everyone lives their life like Hollywood stars.

7. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

India has it's share of problems like the rest of the world. In my opinion, most people only have the websites or television to feed them the information.
    In my own experience, I always thought China was a very poor place as well again from what I had seen on TV, until I visited China and have been going to China for the last 10 years. Each time I go, I visit a different region. And I do see a vast difference there. It's the same here...you go to Hollywood, or you could go to Detroit (just an example), how the rich live vs the poor. Even within Hollywood, you will find the struggling actors.

JMO..
    OOPALL!

8. GiJoe

GiJoe Silver IL'ite

It is called the trickle down effect, lets say X gets a job in an MNC, he is now able to employ his own driver and a maid. The MNC's hire lot of people that don’t need formal education, like transportation, cooks etc. If you expect that the guy employed by the MNC has to be paid the same way as the un-educated person then that will not happen. We can have a separate debate of how the rich are getting richer and poor are getting poor.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  9. goldc

goldc Senior IL'ite

Lets summarise India 's positive feeds.........

INDIA is Rich in our Cultural Heritage
    Rich in Spirituality (the world ........so many are following our path of Hinduism, our saints,which seem to answer everything in life one wants to know)
    Rich in Moral values
    Rich in Talents
    Rich Land of Great Leaders ....Gandhiji,Sardar vallabhai Patel,Sarojini Naidu,Nehruji,these leaders lived only with great principles, world has acknowledged saluted our leaders.
    Currently world business tycoon Ratan Tata who leads a simple life ,never married lived alone,no successor of him .Tata s are ever expanding ........recently to Europe n Uk.Tata 's have got Uk 's pride of Jaguar n land Rover.
    With so many accounted culture,tradition we definitely made the world turn towards us for good reasons.
    Manipulation of our simplicity by some, has lead to this cruel state of country.
    Wherever Indians head we seem to be achievers in whatever we focus.

10. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

I'm going to tell you the same. DON't ASSUME. When someone asked me about India, I told the truth. The exact truth that India has both rich and poor people. But most of them are middle class etc. I have never hidden any truth. I don't have to. People should know the truth. Also, I don't want anyone humiliate me just because they are US citizens and I'm from India. What they know about India is solely from Slumdog millionaire (sources: People I met). So, I had to tell them that its not the case. We are a combination of both rich and poor. Poor plays majority role. But we're growing.

What do you want everyone to tell?? Should we tell them that WE"RE POOR. HELP ME..

Understand one thing. Even though NGO kind of organizations are helping, its our sole responsibility to help the country.

Now through MNC's, middle class people can achieve their goals in their life. We're going in a direction where an intelligent, hard working person can achieve something big in his/her life.