1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

In the spirit of Vedantha

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,
    Good that you made the above statement.
    I am a MIL as well as a student of Vedanta.
    You did make me slightly "wriggle" with your leader post. Hence I posted my detailed (boring?) reply, glorifying vedanta practised in present days - not the folklore " varattu vedantam".
    So, Sri, you came a full circle & admitted that as many come with a serious intention to listen, as much as those who come for "other reasons" !
    Now, all is well that ends well!!
    Regards,
    Chithra.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chithra
    Having furnished my clarification in response to Abha, I must also say that for the spiritually inclined, no initiation into formal spiritual learning is necessary. Bagwan Ramana became a gnani in an instant at such a young age. You must have heard of the story of Vishnu Himself chosing a poor farmer as a greater man of God than Narada who sings His praise all the time!
    I do feel that those who perform their allotted task true to his conscience are an epitome of spirituality!
    Sri

Last edited: Apr 10, 2007
    1 person likes this.
  3. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    I understand the intention "hidden" in your reply.
    You talk of "highly evolved souls" ! How could you dare compare poor poor me, a mortal full of follies with Bhagwan Ramana & none other than Vishnu ?
    You seem to be nearing an "evolved" stage - how blessed I am to interact with a near Jnani !
    Even after reading the vedanta in the Gita, I am literally groping to learn, how to " perform my allotted duty true to my conscience". " Banda pasham" plays a leading role very often in the multi various roles, I play in life, as a woman.
    Sri, you want to clean bowl me & send me back to the pavilion? It is not that easy & I will prove to be a tough nut to crack ! ( not that I am one, with the nut-cracker around me always !!).
    Love,
    Chithra.

4. Cheeniya

My dear Chithra
    First a clarification. The comparison was not to Vishnu but the poor farmer who chanted the name of the Lord just twice a day, once on waking up and the last when going to sleep. The Lord choses him as His best Baktha because he could find time to chant His name twice amidst his struggle to keep his body and soul together.
    Spiritual awareness does not necessarily require external help, definitely not the help of people who charge a fabulous sum to part with their pedagogic knowledge! Tell me Chitra. Just walk into one of these forums in the plush auditoriums of Chennai and watch the people who throng there. How many really strike you as being there out of a genuine thirst for knowledge and upliftment?
    A few years back, I have seen a poor couple delivering discourses on Ramayana from the platforms of Mylapore. Qualitatively, their discourses were nothing less compared to what we hear from Parthasarathy, Sunanda or Prema Pandurang. But these poor couple never had any audience save a few curious onlookers. The coins that these onlookers threw at them were their daily earning and perhaps amounted to less than Rs10. Where are the people thirsting for knowledge and why are they not listening to this poor Brahmin? Because they all want the cool ambience of Narada Gana Sabha to listen to the advice rendered by the Lord in the grueling battlefield of Kurukshetra! They all need the status accorded by their presence at Prema Pandurang’s discourses.
    About the instant gnana, Venkataraman was chosen by the Lord for this gift. Nobody save Him knows who will be the next Chosen One. It could be Chithra too. All that is needed is to keep ourselves in a state of preparedness by leading a clean life. Inscrutable are the ways of God but I certainly believe that He would not count the number of discourses of the Pundits that we attend as a prime parameter for our upliftment!
    Sri

sindmani and iyerviji like this.
  5. Chitvish

Dear Sri,
    Please do not think, I am going on & on - well, you lead me to it.
    Self knowledge needs a guru, unless one is Venkatraman.
    My teacher spends 1000 rs per hour from his hand for the auditorium rent & takes us classes - there is no fees.
    I still insist
    learning vedanta involves 3 stages::
    Learning vedanta is a consistent and systematic study of the scriptures for a length of time under the guidance of a competent guru. This is the journey of guru and student together.
    The student is likely to get many doubts initially. Instead of asking the guru, he should make a note of all the doubts. As the teaching opens up new vistas, new information is unfolded and all doubts get cleared ! Faith in the scriptures and the teacher is essential.
    Once the student has done a complete comprehensive study of the teaching, all his questions will be answered. The student is convinced to accept the teaching.

After this, the student can come out with any number of questions. All the doubts are “ attacked” by questioning. This is called mananam. This goes on until the student is convinced without any doubt, about the teaching. Now the conviction has come that I can be independent. But having been addicted to dependence, it is difficult to be independent. Slowly I have to learn to come out of dependence.

Next, the student goes through the withdrawal symptoms of dependence and learns to handle them. This is the discovery of true independence. Gradually he learns to drop dependences arising out of fear. He discovers that he can live alone, withut people around. In short
    this helps in converting knowledge into emotional strength.

Well, I strongly endorse the view that vedanta is best not self-taught. I very well know a person who claims to be self -taught, but whatever he utters is just opposite of what is given in the scriptural text. He is more injurious to society !

Sri, with this, I go my way ! It is best for both of us to agree to disagree & part as friends ( ofcourse only in this thread !) till we interact again in yet another thread !
    Au revoir !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

sindmani likes this.
  6. Cheeniya

Dear Chithra
    Whatever I wrote was to tell you what I believed in!
    I had no intention of converting you or any other member of IL through my statements. Everyone has a view which he/she wants to share with others. I did just that
    That 'part as friends' shot stung me!
    Were we fighting? Anyways, au revoir as you say!
    Sri

7. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya sir and Chitra,

Actually i thought you two were very nicely discussing this aspect from both sides.....i am sure like me many others were benefitting from this! So please both of you please do not go in 2 different directions now.....:cry:

I fully understood both points of view! I agree with Cheeniya's initial post, it was just a writeup on how things like vedanta lectures are being made as fashionable, status linked platforms, by a few ! It was meant to be just an article!
    At the same time what Chitra has said about attending vedanta classes or discourses for helping oneself to clear doubts etc is also correct! Not many of us have opportunities at home as kids to hear all this from grandparents or parents. So for such people who would like to comprehend the meaning of life , these vedanta or lessons in spirituality or whatever u call it is absolutely necessary. I for one would say that i have benefitted a lot from Chitra's sharing of her notes from these classes with all of us! Many of us have learnt so many aspects.
    By the way,here we are not talking of rituals, ....na na.....we all know that it is just for personal satisfaction and a kind of purification and calm that we do that! But understanding life and drawing mental and emotional courage /strength at many times in life is what i feel vedanta or the studying of scriptures does! And many a time these classes do that, if Attended by the Proper Audience! :wink:

So plz dont say "au revoir" and "part as friends" ! We are all waiting to see the White behind the Rainbow! So......:2thumbsup: say Cheers and shake hands etc etc!

8. Chitvish

Dear Sri & Sudha,
    Au revoir seems to have no relevance, now !
    Sudha thinks we are arguing "seriously" !
    Well, Sudha,
    we decided
    நான் அடிக்கறாப்போல அடிக்கறேன்
    நீ அழறாப்போல அழு
    to present both sides of a coin, Sudha ! Rest assured, we will not part that easily, but continue to punish the I L ites with our agreement on disagreement !
    Is not " LokO bhinna ruchi:" true ?
    Om Shanthi, Shanthi, Shanthi !!
    Love,
    Chithra.

9. Cheeniya

Amen Chithra!
    And Sudha, we'll not let you off our hook that easily!
    Stay hooked to us!
    Sri

10. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Ha ha ha, sariyaana potti! :yes:

So you two ILites are making me an April Fool, with all ur playacting is it? Whatever......keep it on and i stay TUNED/HOOKED etc etc!:wink: