1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Impossible mil for kitchen :( :( absolutely fed up

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shobhamumbaikar, Jan 3, 2015.

1. shobhamumbaikar

shobhamumbaikar Gold IL'ite

As I already mentioned, I suffered tremendously at the hands of my mil and one of her tools was her position as the queen of the kitchen, I had to try take the kitchen over. I have been in the process for such a long time. But it seems to be utterly impossible in her case. Here is what she does when she is with us for some six months of the year.
    We have a cook. When I ask in the morning as to what she will have, her answer will be ‘I’ll cook what I’ll have’. If I make dosa, she will make idly and then will not allow fil to touch the dosa I made. At times fil would have it once by mistake and then tell me he won’t have it from next time because the dosa had something that is not good for his health. And she will try her best make dh have her food as well by statements like ‘u r my blood, I know what u like, cm have the idly. At times, dh will. At times he will say, ‘I’ll have dosa’. If he does it more than once a day, my mil will go into ‘depression’. And next day will start things with doubled energy. Once after a prolonged time of the same things repeating, I lost it one morning and dh went and told her ‘why can’t you have things cooked by her or the cook, we are paying the cook for some work.’ That day, she did not cook and did eat what I got cooked by the maid but there was such a HUGE drama that it was really not worth it. She went to the extent of saying that she would like to kill herself. And never failed to mention that when she commits suicide, she will mention the names of all those ‘evils’ who goaded her for that action.
    Dh has serious liver issues and mil would never ever take care of oil/spice/suger aspect of her cooking though she knows very well as to what doc has advised dh against. Once whn dh said something about that, to my utter surprise she said, ‘yes I know she (me) does not like oil/spice/suger’. I could not believe my eyes and ears. I just don’t understand how a mother can be so rigid about things that she knows will affect her own son’s life just because the dil also wants her to follow those things.
    I have got tired to fighting a battle on a daily basis with this lady half of the year. Dh also gets irritated with me only now-a-days and would blame me for telling him things that anger him and makes him go fight with his mom and that results in such terrible bitterness at home. Just don’t know what to do. Kindly suggest what wuld you have done in my place.

1 person likes this.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

What is the need to compete with her in kitchen for six months ,let her make what she ,fil wants to eat . You cook for yourselves.,let your Husband decide what to eat.

As it is you have a cook so I guess you are ok not cooking , so why get into competition mode for six months. I would say engage yourself in some other activity which gives you pleasure and let her rule the kitchen. I don't understand this kitchen makes queen thing. She wants to slog in the kitchen , let her do it.

Regarding your husbands health , let your husband handle it. He is not a child.

3 people like this.
  3. docathome

docathome Gold IL'ite

If u like cooking cook for yourself and anyone who wants to eat what you cook. If you don't let the cook make it.. Don't bother about what your mil does.. Let your husband handle her. Just inform him how much food gets wasted daily.

4. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Armummy said it.
    You have a cook. Have the cook prepare food for you and your husband, according to your taste. Let your MIL do what she wants. Don't even ask her anything related to the kitchen. She feeds off the attention she is getting. Try making it a non-issue and see what the reaction is.
    Use the time you are not cooking to do something for yourself. Either go out or shut the door to your room. It is one thing if you are forced to cook and have to listen to her nagging, but this sounds like a win-win for you.
    Your husband is an adult and capable of making his own food choices. Try to offer him healthy foods, but if he wants to eat what he likes don't make a big deal of it.

4 people like this.
  5. Rise

Rise Platinum IL'ite

Wow if i had a cook and mil in kitchen ... i would just relax....and order items

11 people like this.
  6. gauridinesh

gauridinesh Platinum IL'ite

lady - 6 months of freedome from the kitchen and cooking!!! What more do you need :) Just relax and enjoy. Add in some comments in between too saying "Oh idlis are nice. You are an awesome cook". MILs have this common tendency of not being able to digest the happiness of their DILs. So in a week, let me assure you, she will stop cooking because she sees that you are happy :)

7 people like this.
  7. pear

pear Gold IL'ite

Hey dont find fault with her,enjoy her cooking to the fill.Dont complain to your Dh.Let son and mom decide the course of action.If your DH objects ,say innocently that you dont want to argue or create diffrences bet mom and son.You could even ask your maid to enjoy a paid holiday or request her to cook something for yourself alone.Enjoy the freedom as you dont need to plan for 4 only for one.Make sure not to get irritated or angry and learn to keep your mind peaceful.Avoid clashes to decide the superiority of who reins the house and its members(as your MIL thinks).Take the fun off her clashes by being peaceful.When she finds not worthy to fight she may let things go a little.You could even order and make extra work for her.

1 person likes this.
  8. sweety127

sweety127 Gold IL'ite

Well said!

@ OP Shouldn't your H take care of his health and avoid food that is bad for him? Why should you go fighting with MIL and ruin your peace of mind?
    Had I been in your situation, I would have frightened H to the core with all scientific facts reg oily, spicy food and how irresponsible he is for his age that he himself avoids it instead of complaining about MIL to him.

2 people like this.
  9. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

:exactly:what i do when my MIL is around......Which also did not go down well with her...coz the goal is the create problems for DIL!!

As i can not eat too spicy food, so she started making food ultra spicy(with loads of red chilli powder) and also instructed the cook to do the same, so that i end up complaining. I never complained, i ate whatever i felt like eating else i made something nice just for myself(or whoever liked to have it) or i would take what i like from office cafe. Finally her DS and her DH only started complaining to her that the food is too spicy to eat, to which she started blaming the cook, saying that she told the cook that, "your bhabi(meaning me) can not eat spicy food, so do not use too much red chilli....", to which i calmly, told in front of everyone(my H and my FIL) that "mummy today morning, i saw, you only were adding extra red chilli to the curry, after the cook was done, not that i am complaining, its actually yummy!!" That was all, she stops playing her "red-Chilli" tactics, at least from then on.

3 people like this.
  10. Khushi78

Khushi78 Silver IL'ite

This is such an interesting thread.....laugh1smiley. No offences here but really these MILs love to slog in the kitchen and be the queen there. I am in an intercaste marriage. Though I have learnt all their cooking....and i donno what doubt my MIL has she ddoesn't let me do anything in the Kitchen when she is around. I too chill lliberally with no head ache of cooking. Even if i ask if something needs to be done she will say no not required.
    I am working so I have a cook....my MIL simply desists food cooked by Maids....typical mentality. The curry she made 3 days back is edible but the curry made by maid become old in 1 day and must be thrown if the maid has cooked after the heaven fell down. MILs life is making food....and finishing it. I see the behavior and feel strange but dont bother about it. Sometime DH becomes fedup of the food and takes us out. Yes I have to compromise with the food but its ok I dont make much of the issue.
    So just dont be fed up....really cool suggestions have come up....cant do much with these mentalities.

1 person likes this.