Important things to remember

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by sonu_627, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Bharathi Babu

Bharathi Babu New IL'ite

Identify theft

Hi,
    I got this info from my friend.Thought of sharing with you all.
    Must read it can happen with anyone..... so easy trick.......

A lady's handbag which contained her mobile, credit card, purse..
    etc....was
    stolen in a Gurgaon Mall. 20min later when she called her hubby,
    telling him
    what happened. Husband says "I've just received your SMS asking about
    your
    Pin number. And I've replied a little while ago".

When they rushed down to the bank. Bank staff told them all the money
    was
    already withdrawn. The pickpocket had actually used the stolen hand
    phone to
    sms "hubby" in the contact list and got hold of the pin number.
    Within 20
    mins he had withdrawn all the money from the bank account ..

Moral of the lesson :

Do not disclose the relationship between you and the people in your
    contact
    list. Avoid using names like Home, Honey, Hubby,
    sweetheart,Jaanu,Dad, Mum
    etc..................and very importantly, when sensitive info is
    being
    asked thru SMS, CONFIRM by calling back.

Thanks
    Bharathi

2. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Microwaving Water

Microwaving Water

Danger of microwaving water ! I did not know this, did you?

A 26-year old man decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before). I am not sure how long he set the timer for, but he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven off, he removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cup, he noted that the water was not boiling, but suddenly the water in the cup "blew up" into his face. The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand, but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his face which may leave scarring. He also may
    have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospital, the doctor who was attending to him stated that this is a fairly common ocurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this manner, something should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as a wooden stir stick, tea bag, etc., (nothing metal).

It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.

GENERAL Electric's RESPONSE:

Thanks for contacting us, I will be happy to assist you. The e-mail that you received is correct. Microwaved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or tea bag is put into it.

To prevent this from happening and causing injury, do not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heating, let the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.

Here is what our local science teacher had to say on the matter:

"Thanks for the microwave warning. I have seen this happen before. It is caused by a phenomenon known as super heating. It can occur anytime water is heated and will particularly occur if the vessel that the water is heated in is new, or when heating a small amount of water (less than half a cup). What happens is that the water heats faster than the vapor bubbles can form. If the cup is very new then it is unlikely to have small surface scratches inside it that provide a
    place for the bubbles to form. As the bubbles cannot form and release some of the heat that has built up, the liquid does not boil, and the liquid continues to heat up well past its boiling point. What then usually happens is that the liquid is bumped or jarred, which is just enough of a shock to cause the bubbles to rapidly form and expel the hot liquid.

The rapid formation of bubbles is also why a carbonated beverage spews when opened after having been shaken.

3. rsankar

rsankar New IL'ite

bag theft...

Hello,

I read this, and I want to share this because, my bag was stolen too (last year-bus). I lost some money, bank cords, 3 library cords and our famiy photo. But every time I keep my mobile phone and house key on my pocket. Then I quickly inform to my husband and he, contacted to the bank and they stop processing.

Then after 10 days, I received a new cord from bank, and get new library cards (My husband's, my card, and my baby card) from library. But I really feel sorry for lost my family photo....(My grandmother and my family member photo...she is not here now that's why I feel unhappy.)

Now I keep my bank cards and library cards and money all in the small purse and I keep this purse on my one pocket, mobile phone and house key are other pocket.

Please be careful to keep your purse on the hidden place , and don't take out all money or purse often, so somebody will watch you. You can keep small amout of money on the other bag or something for your safety.

rsankar.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2006
  4. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Significance of cereals

Unique Customs

Significance of cereals

Traditionally grains have always been an essential ingredient at weddings, representing fertility and prosperity. Wheat, rice and barley are the commonly used grains that participate in the wedding ceremonies in two forms - as part of a ritual where their significance is highlighted, which is a legacy from the days when cereals were the only form of wealth known to man. And the second when they are partaken of in a form dictated by customs during the wedding ceremonies.

Grains over the threshold of bride's new home Cereals as part of rituals
    This is almost a universal phenomenon and is reinterpreted globally according to local tradition - such as tossing rice onto the path of the departing newlyweds at a Christian wedding to customs closer to home like the new bride tilting a vessel of rice with her feet to spill the grains over the threshold of her new home. This indicates that the bride enters the house as an avatar of Goddess Laxmi, bringing with her abundance of wealth. There are many other interesting customs relating to this, which are followed in various regions of our country.

Grains are used in the follow up to the wedding ceremony itself on various occasions and form an integral part of the wedding traditions.

* Several communities also follow the Phalikalu ceremony. Navadhanyams or nine varieties of grains are sprinkled on nine earthen plates (painted white) filled with soil. These are allowed to germinate for sixteen days. On the sixteenth day after the marriage, the mangalsuthrams (108 strings of sacred thread twisted together and dipped in turmeric) are strung together and the germinated grains are immersed in a flowing stream. In cultivating communities, the bride goes to the site where the seedlings are raised and an image of Lord Ganesha is created in mud. She worships the image and then breaks it up.

* Also upon the arrival of the baraat the groom is greeted with the ubiquitous aarti or tilak, of which rice grains are an essential component.

* In some communities, a rice and mango leaf bracelet is tied to the right wrist of the groom and a similar one to the left wrist of the bride.

* Bride throws rice on the groom's headIn Telegu and Oriya speaking regions, it is customary to impose a curtain between the bridal couple over which the bride throws rice on the groom's head.

Grains are also used as offerings during the puja ceremonies that precede the wedding.

* The Ghari Puja is one of the most important pre-wedding pujas amongst Gujaratis. Carried out in the homes of both - the bride and the groom - the Ghari Puja is conducted on the eve of the wedding. The priest performs the prayers with rice, coconut, wheat grains, oil, betel nuts, turmeric and other spices considered to be auspicious. All the married women then grind wheat on an old fashioned grinder to symbolise everlasting prosperity. The groom offers grain to the priest also, indicating that he will always help those less fortunate than him. At the end of the ceremony the bride and groom are dressed in old clothes. Friends and family then tear off these clothes symbolising the end of their single existence.

In the course of the wedding ceremony itself also grains play their part.

* Seven heaps of rice symbolizing the seven hills and the saptakulaparwata are worshipped during the saptapadi rite.

* In all Indian weddings, fire is the chief witness to the vows taken by the couple and hence no ceremony is complete without Lajahom. Arya Samajis and several Hindu sub castes, offer 'Laja' (puffed rice, a symbol of prosperity) to the fire. The bride's brother stands behind the couple while the couple faces each other. The bride places both her hands into the groom's and her brother then puts the puffed rice into them. Together they offer this laja as an ahuti or sacrifice into the fire amidst the chanting of mantras.

* Similar to western customs, the newlyweds are blessed by all the elders by showering coloured rice or akshat on the couple

Grains continue to signify their importance during the bidaai or farewell of the bride from her parent's home and also during the welcome into her new home.

* The bride throws a handful of grains over her shoulder during the bidaai to signify that she is returning to her family whatever wealth she has partaken of in the course of her maiden life. By doing so, she also blesses her home and wishes for them prosperity.

* In some communities, a mitti-ka-bartan (earthen pot) and a plate of wheat grains need to be placed in the bridal room as they signify fertility and prosperity. The newly weds offer puja here as they start their new life together. This is called maatha tekna.

* The measure of the bride's compatibility with her mother-in-law also seems to revolve around a handful of grains. Amongst Punjabis, the bride takes a handful of grains from a plate and passes it onto her mother-in-law who then passes it back to her. The exchange takes place five times and the amount retained in the end is believed to measure compatibility.

Partaking cereals in meals
    In the second form of usage, grains are consumed by both the bridal couple and the relatives and guests at the wedding.

* Most Indian communities originally used to feed the bridal couple boiled rice with milk and sugar, which gradually evolved into the delicacy - kheer.

* Amongst Kashmiris, for the Shagun ceremony, the Vaza or cook prepares a porridge made from rice and finely chopped intestines of the goat. This special delicacy is fed to all the guests and relatives. During the 'Shagun', 'badias' are cooked once again. The lady who prepares the dough for the 'badias' has a special task - in a terracotta dish she places the rice, 'badias', salt and money and holds this on her shoulder while she kneads the dough for the 'badias'. This spread of rice, 'badias', salt and money is known as the "ZUNG". The Zung is then given away to the poor and needy as a gesture of goodwill.

* Some communities serve wedding feast on banana leaves following a particular method. Cooked 'tur dal' (lentils) is served on the right lower corner of the leaf followed by 'halwa' (a sweet dish) 'pachadi' (raita or yogurt), chutney, two dry vegetables, gun powder or curry leaf powder, fryums made of white pumpkin, rice fryums and papad, pickle and salt. The above items are served all around the leaf till the left corner. Then mixed rice or vegetable 'pulao' is served in the center of the leaf and curd 'vada' next to that. Two dry sweets - 'bobatlu' (pancakes made of corn flour with cooked 'chana dal' (chikpeas) and jaggery, or boorelu), cooked 'chana dal' and jaggery stuffing made into round balls dipped in 'urad dal' (lentils) batter and deep fried, 'laddus' (round sweets made from gram flour, sugar and 'ghee' or clarified butter) are served in a cup. This is how the leaf is set and made ready before the guests are seated to enjoy the meal. After this elaborate meal, 'paan' (betel leaves) and nuts are served.

* Bengalis have a ceremony called "Bau Bhat". It is on this day that the bride is formally accepted by all her husband's relatives. The bride personally serves elaborate rice dishes to all the elderly members of the family for lunch. It is at this time that the groom avows to take on the 'bhat' and 'kapood bhar nilan' (literally translated it means - taking on the responsibility of providing food, shelter and clothing for his wife).

* Of course the most popular form in which the mandatory cereal is consumed is the wedding cake - a custom adopted from the West.

* The cake of yesteryears however was a far cry from the dreamy looking concoction of today. It was meant to be dry and crumbly and was simply broken over the bride's head for good luck!

* Traditionally, the cake also contained a thimble, which was supposed to indicate which of the brides' friends was next in line at the altar, by simply landing up in her piece of cake.

* Cakes are gaining more popularity in India and it is not uncommon to see a demure, sari-clad bride clasping her husband's hand over the cake knife.

And for the unmarried ladies, there's yet another significance that cereals hold... the belief that if you take a piece of wedding cake and place it under your pillow you will find the man of your dreams!

5. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Savings Plan

Does a “Savings Plan” really work! Do you wonder every month, where your money goes?
    Do your expenses exceed your income?
    Is “saving” an unfamiliar word for you?

If your answer to any one of these questions is “Yes” then read on….
    Close your eyes! Paint a picture of where you are today. Then try to visualize where you would like to be in 5-10 years! Your savings plan should be tailor made to help you reach where you really want to reach! When you make out a budget, chisel out a savings plan first! This is a sure fire method of making yourself richer!.

1. Learn to “pay” yourself first! Work out a reasonably comfortable percentage of your salary or income, that you would like to put away every month. It can be as meager as 5% or 10% to start with.

2. A firm commitment always works better, rather than saying, “ I will put in some amount next month, when I have some spare cash”.

3. Make sure you do this at the beginning of every month. If you wait till the end of the month, you may not have enough.

4. It’s wise to start a separate account for your Savings Plan. That way you can get to watch your savings grow, literally!

5. Putting your savings into your regular account gives a false sense of plenty, and you may end up spending more.

6. Your savings plan should work for you, not against you! If you can get your spouse to contribute as well, it will help.

7. A Savings Plan helps you see where your money is going, and how it is growing. A clear picture will also help you cut corners comfortably, should the need arise.

8. Small savings do add up! See if you can budget the gifts you buy this month, or look for “value-for-money” sales. You will be amazed to see the difference in about 6 months.

9. It’s important to plan to save for 3 months of your expenses. This will take care of you in times of a crisis: an illness or lay-off.

10. Scrutinize the way you spend your hard-earned money, and devise steps to cut down and save more.

11. Once you have a Savings Plan in place, and have emergency funds streamlined, you can think of investing in Insurance or Unit Linked Investment Policies (ULIP) which will provide you with a safety net even as you watch your money grow. There are many players in the market today, for you to choose from.

12. Don’t go into self-denial, and deprive yourself of everything! Remember, the key word here is cutting back, to save something every month. Looking for bargains, genuine sales and not indulging in “pleasure” buying can help in the long run.

13. Don’t get swayed by credit card offers and land yourself into trouble. Always read the fine print, try not to pay interest on your credit card spending and opt for 0% balance transfer offers. A penny saved is a penny earned!

14. A workable Savings Plan has to be realistic and specific to your lifestyle. Getting started on it is the first step forward. Revising and reviewing it will polish it further, till you perfect it..

Efficient money management is the fruit of laborious effort. The results may not be visible today, but a Savings Plan will certainly take care of your tomorrows! And yes, a Savings Plan does work!

6. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Baby shower gifts

Baby shower gifts

Your friend has had a baby and you have no idea what gift to give. Here is a list of possible gifts that you can take when you visit. Find one that fits your purse and wow them with your thoughtfulness!

Good baby shower gifts include:

# Baby care book
    # Baby carriage
    # Baby carrier
    # Bassinet
    # Blanket
    # Board books
    # Booties
    # Bottles/nipples
    # Car seat
    # CDs or tapes specifically geared for children
    # Clothes
    # Comb and brush set
    # Crib
    # Cup
    # Diaper bag
    # Feeding bowl
    # Frame for photos or birth announcement
    # High chair
    # Music box
    # Night light
    # Nursing pillow
    # Photo album
    # Portable crib
    # Silver rattle
    # Stroller
    # Swing

7. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Diamonds

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Its time to read about girl's best friend....??? WHO
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]DIAMONDS.....
    [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diamonds are a girl's best friend right? If this is true, then men beware, because there is a lot to know and learn when choosing the right stone for your soon-to-be better half. We've compiled a brief guide that will help you understand all the technical terminology and how diamonds are graded and priced.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Carats are a diamond a dozen[/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A diamond's weight is measured in terms of carat's, not to be confused with karat's, which refers to the purity of gold.) A carat is divided into points, meaning a diamond can measure a fraction of a carat or 3/4 carat, which is equivalent to 75 points. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The weight of a diamond can also be measured by its diameter and thickness. An accurate reading is best when the stone is not mounted. Although the jeweler should be able to tell you the exact weight of the diamond, an appraisal can give you an estimated weight. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's all clear here
    [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you didn't already know, diamonds are formed over millions of years by the heat and pressure below the earth's surface, which causes carbon to crystallize. Carbon and gaseous particles, known as natural inclusions, are found within crystallization. The number, size and location of these inclusions determines the stone's clarity.[/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's all in the colour
    [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diamonds range in colour from colourless to slight yellow or brown, to more rare pink, blue or canary yellow, also referred to as 'fancy' colour. The ideal colour for a diamond, although rare is colourless. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A cut above the rest[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although cut is an important factor when choosing a diamond ring, it is often the one characteristic that is least understood by buyers. A diamond's cut should not be confused with its shape. Shape simply refers to it being round, square, oval, etc. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You'll know, when shopping for a ring, if the jeweler tells you that the cut of the diamond is brilliant or round, that they don't have the expertise or are trying to conceal facts. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The perfect setting
    [/font][font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Once you have chosen the diamond you want, selecting the setting in which the diamond will be mounted is one you'll want to give careful consideration. You can choose from either a gold or platinum setting. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Typically, Asians are used to high karat jewelry such as 22K which is very soft. It is recommended that you do not use 22K gold as your setting because the progs can easily bend and wear, more so than 14 or 18 karat gold. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An increasingly popular type of gold is white or yellow. Different alloys are added to make pure gold either of the two colours. White gold has a small amount of nickel in its alloy and makes it significantly stronger than its yellow counterpart. White gold is often favoured as it resembles platinum and it doesn't cost as much. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Platinum on the other hand has become quite popular among ring buyers. Unlike white or yellow gold, platinum is white in its pure form. Therefore, it is hypo-allergenic and it won't tarnish. Keep in mind, platinum is a soft and will scratch like most metals, but it is extremely dense and it will not wear down like gold. Platinum's rare nature and time consuming labour process makes it an expensive investment. It can cost two to four times the price of gold. [/font]

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Buyer Beware[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Choosing a professional jeweler is an important first step when shopping for a diamond ring. Your diamond will last long after the wedding and reception, so you want to make sure you're getting your money's worth. Usually if something sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Seek a reputable jeweler who has the experience and professionalism you need.[/font]

8. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

LPG cylinders

Most of us might not know this. Do you know that there
    is an expiry date
    (physical life) for LPG cylinders?
    Expired Cylinders are not safe for use and may cause accidents. In this regard please be cautious at the time of accepting any LPG cylinder from the vendor.

Here is how we can check the expiry of LPG cylinders:
    On one of three side stems of the cylinder, the expiry date is coded alpha numerically as follows A or B or C or D and some two digit number following
    this e.g. D06.

The alphabets stand for quarters -
    A for March (First Qtr), B for June (Second Qtr), C for Sept (Third Qtr),and D for December (Fourth Qtr).

The digits stand for the year till it is valid. Hence D06 would mean December qtr of 2006.

Please share this message with everyone you know.
    Your co-operation will save life of many people and create awareness among
    the public.

9. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Six ways to frame a budget

Six ways to frame a budget

<!--editPad Six ways to frame a budget

<INTRO>"What we save is what we earn" goes the old saying and, in order to accomplish this, we have to budget. Budgeting our finances is just as necessary as earning money. Just like we make grandiose plans for losing those menacing kilos, we have to account for the money used.</INTRO><IMAGE1>E:\Editorialprocess\Prabha\QCIMAGE\Home Page\Today images\budget.jpg</IMAGE1><IMAGE2></IMAGE2><IMAGE3></IMAGE3><IMAGEI>E:\Editorialprocess\Prabha\QCIMAGE\Home Page\Today images\budget_hp.jpg</IMAGEI><ALT1></ALT1><ALT2></ALT2><ALT3></ALT3><KEY>Budget, savings, expenditure</KEY><ALIGN1>Right</ALIGN1><ALIGN2></ALIGN2><ALIGN3></ALIGN3><ALIGNI>Right</ALIGNI><SECTION1></SECTION1><SECTION2></SECTION2><COVER>0</COVER> editPad-->

"What we save is what we earn" goes the old saying and, in order to accomplish this, we have to budget. Budgeting our finances is just as necessary as earning money. Just like we make grandiose plans for losing those menacing kilos, we have to account for the money used. The whole family can be made budget conscious. This does not mean that you should turn into a miser, but you have to take extra care to cut superfluous expenses. Let's discover how to budget!

1. To start with, bring out all the bills, including your grocery bills, your new refrigerator bill, the new television bill, electricity bills etc. Make a note of whatever expenses you have incurred.
    2. Now categorise them into fixed expenses or the changing or the variable ones. Fixed expenses are loans for your car or house, etc. Variable expenses are expenses on clothes, food, leisure trips, etc.
    3. Try to write down all your expenses either in a diary or notebook or save it in the computer.
    4. Decide how you can cut down your unnecessary expenses. For example, you can cut the expenditure on expensive jewellery, an expensive dress you had wanted to buy, or expenses on entertainment.
    5. Once you have decided where to save, go ahead and save in mutual funds or plan out an investment option with your spouse. Do keep a note of the investment.
    6. Enjoy the necessary things of life. Don't drastically reduce the expenditure on essentials at one stroke. You have to live well and be healthy too. Remember, the money saved could give you a good holiday to the place you've always dreamed about.
    Now get your act together and start budgeting. This will help the whole family. Also teach your children how to budget their requirements. It is better that children learn to respect money at an early age, since money has to be respected and spent for the right reasons.

10. sonu_627

sonu_627 Silver IL'ite

Choose to be happy

Choose to be happy

One most important thing to remember is that you are responsible for your own happiness. Others contribute to your happy state of mind, but it is you who has to choose to be happy. Your parents are there to create a happy, homely atmosphere for you to grow in, but what you make of it is up to you. Similarly, when you are married, you cannot depend on your husband or kids to be the source of your happiness. Their actions are in no way responsible in making you happy.

Yes. Your happiness should stem from within you because you can choose your emotions. You can react to a situation in different ways. You can choose to smile or show a different emotion, just as you choose to wear a certain outfit that day because that is what you want to wear. You feel good because it is after all, your choice. Life is full of choices, and how we feel is also a matter of choice. It is entirely up to us to choose emotions that make us feel good. If you choose to be calm after you experience anger welling up within you, it means that you are moving on and not harbouring those emotions which egg you on to flare up. So you end up with beneficial results as you are not giving the power to someone to influence your emotions. When you react in a negative way, you are giving that person power over you. Your reaction is usually out of anger or fear and you are unconsciously revealing your weakness.

The way out? Simple. Keep your feelings in check and try not to react automatically to anything that is said. What you do of your own accord and what you do when you are reacting to someone are two totally different things. The first one is totally under your control, the second is responding to someone else's action. Stay conscious of your thoughts and feelings and don't let what others say influence your moods.

Always remember, you can choose to be happy. You may find it difficult at first and your need to react will be very strong. But once you learn the fine art of controlling your feelings and not let angry reactions take over your attitude, you are well on the way to choosing happiness – it is but a thought away!