1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Important places to visit in US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by kavyen, Oct 17, 2009.

1. kavyen

kavyen New IL'ite

Hi All,
    My mother has come from India and it has been 2.5 months. We live in Richmond and have taken her to every place in Virginia. Also been to Baltimore and Washington DC. But she is unhappy

She feels we have not taken her to any place except Washington DC as that is the only place she can tell to ppl in India (Luray caverns, shenandoah, cheaspeake, baltimore etc are not important). My husband has time to spend only every alternate weekends as 2 day weekend, the rest is one day weekend (only Sunday)

The other places that she knows are Niagara and NY.. are there any other place in east coast that I can take her. Please r'ber it has to be important place that ppl in India know. She keeps saying we dint take her anywhere all the time. So please advice..:bowdown :bowdown :bowdown

2. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Hi Kavya,

The important places that people in India are aware of are:

Niagara Falls
    NewYork -Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Madame Tussauds etc
    The 1 and half hour cruise is absolutely delightful and not to be missed!! :)
    NewJersey
    Washington DC
    Virginia Beach
    Pittsburgh Venkateswara Temple
    Disney World,Florida
    Disney Land,California
    Universal Studios in Florida & California
    Grand Canyon
    Las Vegas
    San Francisco

These are just from the top of my head right now. Of course, there are other beautiful places/sites to see here in US, but the above are the most famous and prominent attractions for people in India. Other IL'ites can throw more light on this.

Since you want to restrict to east coast alone, then NY/NJ and Niagara falls are the best choices. Ofcourse, Disney World & Universal Studios will need a couple of days more (if you take the flight)

Disney World again has 4 main theme parks and also the water parks. You need to decide which park you need to cover because of the time crunch.

I do understand that it's difficult to take off from work during this recession time. But if you can take 2 more days off (apart from the weekend), then you can combine Niagars falls & Pittsburgh temple together. Another time, you can combine NY and NJ together (for this you need 3 days and this includes the driving time from here.) It takes approx 6hours (including breaks) to drive from Richmond,Va to NJ (where you can book hotels online) Finish touring NY one day and next day in NJ visit the Bridgewater temple, Shirdi sai temple, have lunch at one of the many Indian restaurants, walk down the Oak street in Edison, do some shopping and start driving down the next day.

This is what we did when my parents were here last year.

Will try to think of more places!!

Good luck and take care!

Cheers,
    Krithika

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  3. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

I would suggest you find out about any bus tours for foreigners that would take your mom to niagra and nyc. they have indian guides and also arrange for hotels and food.

4. LovemyFamily

LovemyFamily New IL'ite

You might want to keep in mind that all waterfront places (like Niagara falls) tend to get extremely cold this time of the year. For that matter even taking the ferry to get to Liberty island to see the statue of Liberty is not gonna be an easy one.

5. sillygurl

sillygurl Senior IL'ite

Looks like your mom just wanna tell her friends back home that she visited many palces in US of A. Most people usually bring parents for delivery/taking care of grand children etc. May be she feels belittled in front of others [in your mom’s case – her relatives/friends/acquaintances back in India ] that she was taken to US of A for helping you even if she doesn’t have a problem doing that .

I guess she just wants to prove to them , that was not the case. In short – she wants to show to people that she went to soo many of those place that they know of.

Don’t worry sweetie. You are doing your best.

Apart from Washington[I guess you covered all those Lincoln/korean memorial and the like places as well there.] try to incorporate niagra and boston as well if possible. I understand that your DH works during alternate saturdays and so it’s kinda difficult to go far away places every weekend.

How about taking a conducted tour – like gotobus.com, these packages takes you to most of these places without the help of DH.

During one of the weekends , you can go to NYC and make sure to visit Empire state building , Madam Tussauds Museum , Metropolitan Museum of Art , Statue of Liberty(NJ) and Central park (only if time permits) .

You won't be able to cover all 5 in two days though.

Last but not the least, make sure to take LOT’S & LOT’S of snaps while visiting all these places. Like in the MT wazx museum, pose with Gandhinji, Amitabh Bachan , Obama, ( ) Einstein . Buy a good album where you can add tags/comments for every snap and put couple of good pictures from every trip – also write short notes on the imp of each place / the things that you were rabbiting while you were there .

This might give her relief that even without explaining it to others back home, she can give an idea that she had a wonderful time with her daughter and SNIL.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  6. kavyen

kavyen New IL'ite

Hello All,
    Thank you all so so much! I will plan for NY the next 2 day weekend and the Pittsburgh temple as well... I think the west coast will not be possible as she wants to leave in November, but will definitely plan for later...

sillygurl,
    I loved the idea of the album.. will get that done right away.

7. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Hey Kavyen,

Its funny the way you put your situation, no laughing matter! I know!

But if you do make it to NY, try to make a stop in Philadelphia - you show the Great Liberty Bell and stuff, and explain the significance.

Átlantic City should be lots of fun to just walk around and observe..

8. kavyen

kavyen New IL'ite

Thanks MrsV.. I will try and club as many places as I can in that one weekend. Hopefully my mom will feel we showed her some place around. :bowdown

When we went to the Baltimore Aquarium she really enjoyed herself (dolphin show and 4D theatre etc) but after 2 days she started saying to my husband .. I cant go to India and tell people I went to Aquarium etc, its a big embarassment. I have no clue why it is an embarassment :)

But now I have tonnes of places ...

9. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

hi,

please give me info on baltimore aq & temple around...

10. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Anitha,

No idea about Aquarium..heard its too good.

But i have visited Maryland Shiva vishu temple and Murugar temple lot of times while i visited my sister's place in Virginia.

Both temples will so good...Murugar temple is also too big and will be very traditional...both temples are around 5-10mts distance only.