1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

implementing house rules

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by AprilLisa, Mar 18, 2015.

1. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I have been thinking of implementing house rules for quite some time. But don't have much idea, where to start. So came here to ask you all.

How many of you have already implemented house rules, for your house? How to introduce house rules for the first time(where partner doesn't believe in these things and wants to go with the flow)? And what kind of house rules do you start with for younger kids(4-5 year old)??

Do you also have house rules for guests? If, yes how do you practice it?

Please pour in your methods, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks,
    April Lisa

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Thats a wonderful thread! At my place we do have some simple house rules. Like my 3 year old knows that things should be replaced where she takes them from, including toys/books. Not sure if its considered a rule, but we do have it. No cartoons after 6 PM.

Maybe start with small rules and see where it goes?

1 person likes this.
  3. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@AprilLisa:
    Listing what comes on top of my mind:
    1. Keeping used glasses/bottles/bowls/vessels on table (My LO learns from seeing what I do.I have a separate table that he can reach). Same for others in my home.
    2. Take what you like to eat and eat all you take (for grown ups, still trying on LO)
    3. Rinse used plates/bowls before leaving it in the sink (for grown ups)
    4. Brush teeth before tea/coffee (for grown ups)
    5. Arrange toys, books etc. in place after playing (My LO watched me clean up his toys for a week or so and he picked this up quickly. This rule is applicable for grown up toys like laptops,mobiles,tablets,remotes,game consoles,newspapers also)

I have to admit that most rules are broken and I end up doing them myself or try nagging to get it done. For guests (and my family), I have only one rule. Absolutely no noise or any activity that might wake up my LO especially after I put what looks like aeons to make him sleep.

1 person likes this.
  4. AprilLisa

AprilLisa Gold IL'ite

Thank you Rakhii and Sparkle!!

Great ideas. I have also implemented some rules, like keeping things back in place after use, switching off the lights/fans when leaving the room, brushing twice a day, leaving used dishes on table/sink,.. most of which my LO does, but not the grown ups at times :)

What are the other rules that we can implement, that might help them later?? Please pore in your ideas.