Immunity Vaccination after delivery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by AnithaPartha, Jun 10, 2009.

1. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies,

Today I went for my general doctor checkup. Doctor told me that my blood results are normal but my immunity is less so I would need to go for vaccination(Iam not sure but she mentioned something as Rubella) after my delivery.

Looks like during pregnancy that cannot be done. After delivery immediatedly they will do this vaccination for me seems and no problem if am breast feeding that time. She mentioned not to have intercourse also for 6weeks after that vaccination. This is all new to me.

Doctor asked me not to worry for anything and I can take up that after my delivery and not now. Did anybody faced this issues before? Please let me know :bowdown

2. AnithaPartha

Anybody any idea?
    Am waiting for your reponses ladies:bowdown

3. PeeVee

PeeVee Senior IL'ite

i am also not immune to Rubella..but my doc never told anything about vaccination after delivery..i don't know much about it..anyways i am not worried about it..hope someone else can help you to get more info..

4. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi

If you are found to be low in immunity you will be given the MMR vaccine after your delivery about a month later. This is to protect yourself and subsequent pregnancies from MMR (Mumps,measles and Rubella also called German measles)

WHy the doctor is saying no intercourse for 6 weeks after the vaccine is probably because she does not want you to be become pregnant as the vaccine is not be given to women who are pregnant or plannig a pregnancy.

Nothing to worry about. Just stay away from anybody who might be suffering form any associated disease mostly affected with measles or mumps

There is a lot of literature available on MMR and you could have a look AFTER again AFTER your delivery. Your baby will be vaccinated like every baby.

Take good care.

Cheers
    Deepa

5. videlhi

videlhi New IL'ite

My OBGYN also asked me to get the shot. I was pregnant at that time so she told me we ll do it after delivery. Unfortunately, I miscarried so she asked me to take it ASAP.

She clearly mentioned to be careful and not get pregnant for atleast 3 months after the shot cuz it contains live virus and it may harm the baby.

On researching I found that now doctors ask patients to not get pregnant for 4 weeks after the shot....but its always good to play safe.

6. AnithaPartha

Dear Deepa,

Heaps of thanks to you for letting me know:thumbsup. I was very scared yesterday(though my doctor told it will NOT affect my baby). My DH also scolded me I got this because I was on severe diet before conception.

So i dont want to worry about this right?

7. AnithaPartha

Hi Videlhi,

Iam so sorry to hear about yours. I understand.
    So are you fine now and started ttc?
    It is just an injection right? and did you had any side effects after that vaccination?

8. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Anitha...

I got Rubella Vaccinated before an year or above before delivery ! I had no side-effects from it. It is just an injection... as others said.

Don't worry.. take care !

9. AnithaPartha

Ok Gowri.
    Thanks for your information:)