1. The Great Big Must Read List : Find Interesting Book Suggestions
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

IL Book Club - Feb 2010 :: The Notebook

Discussion in 'Book Lovers' started by Gayathri47, Feb 8, 2010.

1. deepa04

deepa04 Gold IL'ite

dear gaya3,
    i downloaded the novel and start reading from today.
    we will discuss about this .
    one more suggestion,start a thread for tamil novel also.
    see you later.

2. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

After I fairly reached 20th page, so much of the story had already finished!!! Really fast paced!!!!!

3. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Hey guys, whats happening? where hav you reached now.
    I am still reading "the union" were the two have met and are having a conversation..

4. Meenupanicker

Meenupanicker Senior IL'ite

Hi all
    Let me also join with you.Thank you so much Gayathri & anamtvm for uploading this book.I have downloaded and started reading

5. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Thats great! we would love to hear what yu think about the book!

6. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Hi all,
    I'm so happy to see this thread. I always wanted to join a book club. I hope it's not too late to start reading the book of the month

7. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

Thanks for uploading the book. That would really help all those who want to easily join in and start reading. I'm goint to start reading now..

8. Anamtvm

Anamtvm Silver IL'ite

Hello everyone...
    Just now I finished reading ‘The Notebook’, I know I am pretty late, but couldnt do so earlier :(

I loved the story, but not as much as the movie. It is very warm, laden with so much of pure love, from the beginning till the end. I feel Noah is an exemplary character, high on patience and persevearance, who takes so much of trouble to get back to his love and to preserve it. Nicholas Sparks has succeeded in portraying Noah through out the story as the same person, nowhere do you find a change in his character, there is not even a hint of anger in his voice and actions, even though at times he feels sad about his and Allies life after the disease, I feel he immediately gets back on his feet, which I feel is possible only for somebody who has experienced and shared uncluttered, pure love. Through out the story, I felt that he completed the restoration work of that house, perhaps to bring her back to his life. Did you feel so too? I feel the author has touched upon different phases of life in the story, although not so deep, but the simple and short nuances the author gave of the time Noah spent with his children narrating their life story, his relationship with his father, his time in the army, his friends, the summer he spent with Allie, her paintings and his poetry, their old age etc etc, feel right on chord. The time when he was reading to her from The Notebook, I kept on wishing that she realized who he really was. And the surprise came at the end of the story.

Here are a few lines which I loved from the story, apart from his poetry.
    "Hannah, there is no reason to feel lost, for Nothing is ever really lost, or can be lost, No birth, identity, form‐‐no objectof the world, Nor life, nor force, nor any visible thing;... The body, sluggish, aged, cold‐‐the embers left from earlier fires, ... shall duly flame again;"

It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and
    still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence.
    It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because
    only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is
    the great paradox.

You can't live your life for other people. You've got to do what's right for you, even if it hurts some people you love.

I loved the freedom I felt when I created, the way it made me feel inside to make something beautiful

I realize the odds and sciences are against me. But science is not the total answer; this I have learned in my lifetime. And that leaves me with the belief that miracles, no matter how inexplicable or unbelievable, are real and can occur without regard to the natural order of things

Just a few lines I loved, I have also enjoyed reading other books of Nicholas Sparks like Message in a bottle, A walk to remember, The last song, Rescue....

Hope all of you enjoyed reading it too...

..Anam

9. sofiz

sofiz Senior IL'ite

I just finished reading the book a week ago. It's tough to read with a one-year-old around.. :)

I enjoyed the book. It was a pleasure to read the details about each time Alley met Noah. I particularly enjoyed the way they admired each other silently. Like the time Alley noticed Noah's muscles flex as he took her on the canoe, the craving Noah had for Alley when she was next to him - but he held it back.. I really enjoyed the book.

Thankyou Gayathri for suggesting the wonderful book.

10. Gayathri47

Gayathri47 Silver IL'ite

Ah! Sofiz .. wonderful and good that you have finished and enjoyed the book!!! I am really glad that your are here!

As of what happened to book club, I forgot to stick the thread - my mistake. And i have been on a fix to pick a topic. But, I will start a thread anyways and see what happens. Do come and pour in your views.:thumbsup