1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

If you become a MIL, what would you do??

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by puni88, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Malyatha

Malyatha Gold IL'ite

I would think of my DIL as a HUMAN BEING and treat her with respect. My MIL thinks that she can treat me anyway she likes because she is THE MIL and I am "only" her DIL! She told me so - I told her that giving birth to a son doesn't entitle ANYONE to treat a fellow human so badly. Of course, being demented, she will never learn.

She is full of false pride (poly gauravam). People laugh at her behind her back and I have even been asked sly questions by my husband's Maamis about how MIL is treating me. She talks in a loud voice and thinks everyone is aftaid of her - in truth, people just make fun of her and have jokes at her expense.

I feel sorry for her. This is such a SAD life to lead. I give her royally now and she is afraid of me now - she thought I would take her BS. Um, sorry, MIL, I give back as good as I get. Net result - she is on her own in her old age. Husband can take care of her, I won't lift a finger for her, as harsh as that sounds. She has hurt me so much that I am beyond caring for her.

If I have a son (I have a daughter now), I will know how NOT to treat my DIL since I learned from the WORST MIL on the planet. I will treat her like my daughter but won't expect her to call me "Amma" or want to replace her mother. I will also remember that she is a human being with feelings and emotions. I will also remember that giving birth to a son does not entitle me to treat her like a slave or expect her to put up with my BS.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008