1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

If wishes were horses

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Tamildownunder, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILites,

There is a poem which goes like this. " If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride upon them, rich won't die and poor won't live ". I have ridden the horses of wishes from very early days in my lfe. These horses did not run properly and as P.G. Wodehouse has written humourously about race horse that his hero Betty Wooster used to bet on " But for the intervel between the races there would have been a mix-up of horses ". But, these wishes have given me lot to dream about and taken me into fantasy worlds and those moments I recollect here.

When I was studying in school, I used to listen to the radio a lot for songs. I recollect an english pop group called Carpenters and their famous song " When I was young I listen to the radio waiting for my favourite song and when they play I sing along ". Now, my wishes during those days were to become a radio announcer like Mayilvahanan of Ceylon Radio or Melville DeMello of All India Radio. I used to lock myself up in a room and practice " This is All India Radio the news read by.....". This wish never materialised.

Next, as a big movie buff, I used to watch lot of movies by M.G.R and Shivaji Ganesan, the two top heros in those days. I used to like M.G.R's fight scenes and I recollect that after watching his movie 'Kulebahavali' in which he fights with a tiger and kills it, I wished that I could do it also. I used to dream standing in the bus stand and waiting to go to college that the girl next to me is attacked by a tiger and I like M.G.R fight it with my bare hands, kill it and win the girl's love. Ofcourse, this was a fantasy or day-dreaming.

Shivaji Ganesan impressed me like any one else in Tamil Nadu with his dialogue delivery and I used to practice all his dailogues. I still remember his dialogues from movies like 'Thuli visham' as Socretes 'Unnaiye nee enni paar, veeram vilai pokathu, vivekam thunaiku varavittal......'. I wished that I will become like him one day.

I am fond of listening to all film music of Tamil and Hindi. I can also sing a fair bit. In one of the Tamil movies, the hero Mohan will sing in rains and the heroin Radha will be so attracted she will come and fall at his feet. I wished that when I sing like that similarly some girl should fall at my feet. I did sing even on stage, but no girl clapped let alone came and fell at my feet.

Cricket is a big passion for me and I have played the game for my college team, my office team at CECRI, Kariakudi etc. I was never a great player. But, I nurtured ambitions to become one. I uased to dream a lot about cricket. Like, India is tottering at 100 for 8 with 300 runs to be scored for victory in one day game and I come and produce a rain of sixers and boundaries and take India to a dramatic victory. This was done by Yuvaraj Singh and Mohammed Kaif in the Natwest series of one day matches played in England last time in 2002 0r 2003.I was so thrilled at that time that it is not Yuvraj Singh but me who had won the match for India.

I had a large number of wishes like winning the Nobel Prize, saving the earth from calamities etc. These wishes are like the beggar riding the horses. When I joined IL, I wished that I should also write like Varalotti or Cheeniya. But, now I find this wish also is a pipedream. It is like the Tamil saying, 'Puliyai paarthu poonai soodu pottar pol'. Although I am getting aged, wishes do come but the horses are lame.

Regards,

TDU

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear TDU,
    Poonainu sollitu puli madri ezhuthirkeenga!!!

Being a Cancerian i too day dream a lot may not be like you.Getting gold medals in school Public exams, university exams..Sun tV crew at my house interviewing me n my parents...LOL

May be i wanted to fulfill our former President Abdul kalam's vision...this is how i justified my day dream:wink: :wink:

Enjoyed reading you post throughly...

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Once again a good article!Here are my wishes: I wished to be a 'sakala kalavalli'. This will explain it all.One more wish-- I want to look after my parents in their old age.Atleast waiting for the second one to come true.Sriniketan

4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Nice article TDU,

My wish right now, my kids are would go from 3 to 30 in a second!!:-D :-D
    But yes, so many of our wishes, do not come true. These day i just wish for peace and health for everyone.

Vandhana

5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

TDU,

Superb write, man.Loved it,and cant stop laughing.You made my morning cheerful.

Well we all dream to be Cheeneeya, but well like Tendulkar there can only be one Cheenya.And remember TDU, even Tendulkar needs spectators to cheer him on, so let us take ourselves to tbe that category.Even i am with u.

You write so well.the last line of the lame horse was superb.had never heard it.

Carry on TDU, i am your fan.Regards.kamal

6. mithili

mithili New IL'ite

if we get all our dreams true , then there will not be any more famous personalities...we dream and people efficient pick it up....great !!!nice write up sir,,it is a real thing written so boldly..................

7. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi TDU,
    Such a good write up. As far as dreams go i wanted to be a lawyer the " vayadi" that I was, but then couldn't get there. Fate wiiled it so, that' s what I assume.
    Now Iam much more sober. Maybe it is my way of protest against disappointment.

8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

TDU,

The post really made me sit back and think..If wishes were horses,
    Beggars would ride,If turnips were watches, I would wear one by my side...Wow so much perspectives from a nice nursery rhyme.......

You have presented your dreams so well..and then given an example of lame horse... :evil:.

Well for me...could sing well...but our family traditions did not allow learning singing..so it went out of the window....then wanted to go for law...but was convinced to go for computer engineering..excelled too well..but being a lady was not allowed to take assignments abroad..today girls are more luckier..

Sometimes my husband says it was better you did not go for law that is another matter....

9. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear TDU
    If wishes were horses, dreams would be destination!
    These horses take us to more and more dreams only.
    Like Bertie, I too dabbled in horse racing for a while and like him, I too had the uncanny skill of picking on horses that always thought that their race was next in the agenda while competing in an event! I have fancied them grinning at me as the jockies riding them literally got down and pulled them past the post.

I can see what you mean by the Sivaji effect. I remember young men walking out of the theatre with their chests drawn up and arms arching outwards like a body builder after witnessing Sivaji breaking the chain at Kannamba's fiery dialogues!

Talking of cricket, I have always dreamed of myself as a super cricketer who took six wickets in six balls almost as a routine and looking at the girls swooning all over the ground regretted that there were only four more to scalp!

The closest I have ever come to realising my dream is now in IL when the members talk of me as a writer! And TDU , dont ever pull my legs by talking of Puli and Poonai. I only tend to compare all the appreciation that I get here with what my five year grand daughter gets for drawing the picture of Pillayar with some Picasso like scribbling! Pure indulgence towards a Senile Old Man!
    Sri

10. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear TDU,

That was great.....

I dont know whether you said it as a joke or a write up.... But there exists a man who dreams a lot....That is me... When I was a kid I used to read alot of historical novels....Ponniyin selvan/chandilyan novels etc..... I always replace the heroes with me and imagine myself as the hero before going to sleep...

Replacing myself for the man who I couldnt become has become my dream..... Great Police Officer/sportsman/Actor/Superman/Yogi etc....... I have taken all avatars....

So.... It is nice to hear that there are other people also...

Veda