1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for gifts to India

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by padmavathy, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Re: Ideas for gifts to India(Reposting)

Hi Chennai Ladies,

Since dont want to open a separate thread and many Chennai experts visits here often, I am placing my doubt here, pls do reply ..

I am planning to buy some stuffs from US to my folks's kids(girls) and want to know abt back packs. Actually, I was thinking of getting backpack with different characters like Dora the explorer or any princess like Cinderalla, snow white etc.

My query is that in Chennai, is there any backpacks available with all those characters. If so, there is no point in buying the same from here and that is why, I am asking you guys.

Also, pls let me know more gift items(if you can) acc., to 9 yr & 4 yr old girls interests, as the taste differ from here to there.

Waiting for yr replies.

Thanks.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Ami,
    S we do get backpacks with charecters printed like that, but those bags really cost a fortune and so parents like me are not ready to give those costly ones to kids like my daughter. My SIL sends and brings kids items like shoes with lights which the young ones love and like to show off, and small bags with lots of pouches and zips to keep so many items. Cups and sippers with charecters(especially the rubbermaid ones which are spill proof and in which you can take juice, milkshakes etc.). She gets lots and lots of playdough tubs in various colours (you get the models and moulds here but clays in different colours are a shortage as you get the same colours repeatedly). She has sent my kids bowls with straws which you could use to eat the corn flakes and drink the milk(my kids use those bowls for their daily kanji)

You can get them stretch jeans also which is not available here and which you get only in US. Soft towels in various sizes, liquid soaps and bubble bath liquids. Till now I remember only these items at this hour of the night. Will keep you updated when I get more.

3. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

That is so nice of you to receive atleast A reply..

I thought that in Chennai, the bags with popular characters like minni, mickey etc. will only be available; still, being very expensive, guess that I can give a try from here. And, shoes, did you give the size to yr sis.,? And, playdough, which is an excellent idea for little ones.

Finally , in the last para, all items you have mentioned are very useful for all people now and even in future.

Thanks a lot and do share more whenever remember something.

Bye.

4. mythili

mythili Senior IL'ite

I highly recommend Magna Doodle for kids.
    Magna Doodle is a children's magnetic drawing toy, comprised of a magnetic drawing board, a pen, and a few magnet shapes. Children can draw/erase as many times as they want. And it does not wear out for few years.
    I always get this for my cousins kids, they really love it!
    Fisher-Price Doodle Pro™

5. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thanks for the suggestion, Mythili.

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Ami,
    S, I give her my kids shoes sizes, which are generally UK or Indian sizes which she converts to US sizes. You get the appropriate size if you do the conversion. Also she was talking about cotton clothes strday which comes in the range of Rs.200 to Rs.300 of Indian value which have some good designs and cuts which are not available in India.

She used to get Gillette Mach3 blade for my husband and bils. Then she got the shelf liners and border designs for the rooms which are pasted on the top of the walls near the ceilings which definitely gave a beautiful look

7. Ami

Ami Silver IL'ite

Thank you so much, R...

8. radhika suresh

radhika suresh New IL'ite

gifts to take to India

Hi Friends iam new to this IL. Iam going to India in june so i need your help. what all gifts can i buy here.which place is good for it.I need gifts for all ages.Iam staying in Edison.Harhar

9. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Radhika,

We merged your post in this discussion thread that already existed about gift ideas to take to India.

Please browse through this thread and you are sure to get wonderful ideas.

Try to use 'Search' menu (especially Google search within that drop down) and you will find almost all that you want to discuss already discussed here.

Participate in those discussions than starting new threads on the same topic. That way you will not miss out on the ideas already shared.

Hope you will enjoy this community and have an enjoyable trip to India.

10. writeme

writeme Silver IL'ite

Hi Padma,

You may buy watches for your younger sisters. Just visit some shops in your area like Macys, you'll find a lot of beautiful watches. I already bought 2, for my mom & mil. I too am eagerly looking forward for my vacation !!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2008