1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal language to communicate with God

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 1, 2007.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra
    That was a terrific example , Kandasashti Kavacham being translated in English! I had the same feeling when I listened to Ilayaraja's musical arrangement of Thevaram. Certain time-honoured things are best left untampered!
    Sri

2. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Dear cheeniya sir,
    Though ultimately you mean to say that our almighty blesses his devotees(ourselves)irrespective of languages.As you said abt the dual language policy,we always complain our troubles using our mother tongue.We use sanskrit language.Literally we chant mantras mostly which are of sanskrit language.Though there are tamil slokas,our official way of conveying our bhakti is through mantras.After a profound analysis of ,I presume that you have conveyed this message .Am i right?But the fact any individual prays to lord using his mother tongue.A good article.:2thumbsup:

Take care
    BC

3. Cheeniya

Dear Bhargavi
    There is a Tamil verse on Lord Ganesa compiled by Avvaiyyar called Vinayagar Agaval. It is all about the highest yogic exercise and awakening of the Kundalini. Paramarcharyal has prescribed it for memorising and daily recitation without bothering about the meaning.
    Some slokas irrespective of the language have a beneficial effect through the vibrations they create within us
    Sri

4. BhargaviChakravarthy

BhargaviChakravarthy Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for your prompt response sir

take care:wave
    BC

5. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear Sir,

What a lovely post!! Language and speaking , talking to HIM is something I have never done , so I was quite amused as to the language.

You know Sir when ever my Mom holds pooja at home and we have lots of them attending it , I always go a little late. And am met with quite angry looks from my mother but whenever i go there I see that i have to first go through the regular inspection by her friends as to what i am wearing, my accessories etc and while they grab my hands and throat that is to inspect my neckwear they are mouthing the holy names meant for GOD. The other side i observe a lot of these devotees busy gossiping, so in a way im glad im late. In the end I get my few moments of solitude. I always feel better to enjoy my time with HIM when I m alone . And i never ask anything because I strongly feel that as the Supreme HE knows everything. I dont need to tell anything but yes I need to thank him for whatever HE has being doing for me. The love, the care the guidance but then I have never asked for it , it has always been given as I would give my daughter.

And I do agree that the language of the heart is the only effective conversation and the best way to experience the love of GOD,his presence, the words inaudible but but so deep, so clearly heard , than the loud sounds that carry words with no meanings, so shallow.

Loved your post SIr.

Love,
    Your mol

Last edited: Aug 27, 2008
  6. Cheeniya

My dear Mol
    A classic definition of a 'bore' describes him/her as one who robs you of your solitude without providing you company! These invitees to your mum's religious functions perhaps fall into that category. I was amused to read that they acted as 'dwarapalakas' in subjecting you to some rigorous inspection before letting you attend the pooja!

Throughout the history of man, the highly evolved persons have developed different relationships with God. Some treat Him as a Child, some as a Lover (like Radha), some as Guru, some as a Teacher and many as a Mother. The last mentioned leave everything to the Mother like an infant places itself in the hands of the Mother. The infant doesn't ask the mother for anything but the mother knows exactly what the child wants and gives that in correct quantity but with a lot of love and concern.

As you rightly point out, it is more prudent to be an infant in Her Hands and leave everything to Her. While doing so, we must also remember that the Mother will only give what is good for us and not everything that we ask for.
    Sri

7. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Cheeniya Sir,
    A lovely post...with fbs...
    I had told my son to look upon Him as a friend..
    That is the way I look upon Him/Her always...
    Language is not a barrrier unto Him/Her as He/She is a linguistic..

I used to brude over, why it is like this, what will happen, etc., the usual 'polambal', but after getting to understand Gita., slowly these questions are disappearing eventhough they appear sometimes, as situation warrants, but effectively come out of it, quickly...
    I praise him in Sanskrit and even in my mother tongue...but as you had pointed out...language of the heart, the silence is the best form of communication, I am going to venture into it...

sriniketan

8. Cheeniya

Dear Sri
    'Polambals' are really ardent prayers of a very personal nature. I have read an article that people who are self-deprecating and who indulge in polambals never develop BP as they pass on their pressure to others through their 'polambals'! If we cant do that with our Creator Who is designed to take all the polambals in His stride, who else is there for us?

I must compliment you for giving some sane advice to your son to treat God as his friend. That will be the most enduring relationship with Him.

You will be amazed with the Power of Silence as you go on practising it. More than the silence, the mantra is 'Speak only if you must'
    Sri

9. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,
    lovely post..i do not know any shlokas and usually talk to HIM as a friend.. so most of the time i am talking in english...(i hope u are not laughing at me)..when my dd left for her hostel i have given her a framed pic of our fav lord and told her to light the lamp in her room every evening as amma will not be with her all the time and so she can ask HIM to guide her to the correct path always.....this gives me the confidence that she is being looked after...
    rgds
    Mindi

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  10. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    I am not surprised at anyone talking to the Almighty in English as I too do it once in a way though my English conversations with Him are restricted to the single expression of 'Oh, my God!' in moments of joy and exultation or exasperation!
    Your gesture of handing over a picture of God to your DD is indeed beautiful but the accompanying words that her 'Amma will not be with her all the time and so she can ask HIM to guide her to the correct path' are even more beautiful. Don't we all believe in the hierarchy of Matha, Pitha , Guru and Deivam in guiding us to the correct path? Amma takes the first place and only in her absence, the others can step in!
    Sri