1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I see lot of people going in for counsellings!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Jun 19, 2007.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

hi sowmi,

i agree with you that today's world is full of jealousy.

mostly we do not admit our mistakes to our closer relatives, since they might point us for all the mistakes that happens in the house.

nothing is going to be affected if the number of counselors grow but not the number of clients. thank you for your comments.

regards,

Vanaja

1 person likes this.
  2. savideva

savideva New IL'ite

Dear Vanaja,
    A very good , thought provoking thread! Counselling has become a big thing these days. Peoples' values have changed ; the present generation are found to be highly selfish. Even between husband and wife there is no adjusting mentality; each feels like he or she is an INDIVIDUAL and not a part of a family. As an individual he/ she wants to pursue their own interest. If the other one objects there is self pity, fight etc. Two decades ago it was thought best to discuss, find a solution by adjustment and it was all well again. Now the wemen have economic independence as well which really is a point to be appreciated, as it empowers wemen. But this is also one of the reasons for break-up and counselling. Attitude of both men and wemen must change for the better. The affection, kindness, helping nature, respect for elders, interaction between family members, family dinners - all these have become a dream now. When there is no interaction between husband and wife; bet. parents and children; bet. siblings when problems arise they do not know who to turn to and there come the counsellors with their helping hands. They are a great solace to the present generation I guess!?

3. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Savideva,

Thank you for your words. As you said the get together, joint dinner are all have become dream now. These counselors become a solace if and only if their solutions work.

Regards,

Vanaja

1 person likes this.
  4. yamusarna

yamusarna Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

Great thoughts indeed!!!

I just wanted to tell these points mainly:

1. A counsellor doesnot hand in the solution to the problem, but initiates the thought process by which you can see, the whole situation from all the angles. The objective of the counsellor is to just provide guidance. Inventing the solution is upto us. The counsellor might give suggestions.

2. We turn to a counsellor, because of the utter lack of the people in our lives who can guide us. This is due to a lot of social factors, that has changed the whole family system.

So, it is us who finds the solution to our problems, and not the counsellor. If we become aware of this fact then the rest is just a cake walk.
    It is important to detach yourself from the problem first and then take 360 degree look at it.If we put ourselves at the centre of the problem we cannot do this.

I admit that it is easily said, than done, and that visiting the counsellor and paying for it seems much easier. And may be that is the reason why people go to the counsellor.

Awaiting the thoughts:)

Yamuna.

2 people like this.
  5. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Yamuna

Have you come across counseling anywhere for anybody? You have given a clear picture of their job.

I too agree social factors also play a great role in pushing people towards counselors. And also the fact - that if we have to detach ourselves from our own problems and look around. Thank you for your comments.

regards,

Vanaja

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vanaja,
    Me, a third time :-D ! I want to stress about the need for counselling for youngsters.
    Going to a counsellor in today's context is a cry for help.
    More than ever, we see the stress of modern life, particularly the younger generation - social issues, inter-personal problems, stress of failure in exams, disappointments in love & marriage, disciplinary issues, gender discrimination and humiliation by peers. They suffer an identity crisis, the problems affecting them at the psychological, physical & emotional levels.
    Counselling helps them deal with the pressure, which, in many cases, parents busy with their professions, find less time to do.
    I also feel when the parents are emotionally involved as well, counselling from a person outside the personal sphere helps them identify the problem and put them on the right track. The counsellor acts more as a friend, helping them take decisions, accepting them unconditionally (this, the parents find difficult to do with their exzpectations from their children) and give them hope.
    I hope, I don't come back in this thread again, Vanaja !
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Chithra Madam,

This thread is a need of the hour. Let us keep open this thread for all members for discussion. A speaker goes away when his speech gets over, and since it is a discussion, all are welcome for any number of time.:-D

regards,

Vanaja