1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Say It, I Taste It!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by twinsmom, Aug 18, 2007.

1. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

At last the dailies have come out with something that has tantalized the tastebuds of my creativity… Two prominent dailies of the emirates have come out with the same news on the front page—on ‘Synaesthesia’!

It appears people who are synaesthetic experience a triggering of some taste by some words. Corny eh? ( Bet that triggers off the taste of ‘Cupo’corn’ the mall- stands dish out for weary shoppers…the tangy taste of the masala used.) I can understand someone drooling when I say ‘masala vada’ or ‘cinnabons’ and even getting a taste of those even as I mention it! But what the researchers claim is that the synaesthetes get the taste of something remotely connected to the word uttered. One participant is supposed to have tasted tuna fish when she was about to name a pair of castanets.

Just wondering if I was suffering from the condition, I started testing myself! For the general benefit of mankind I share my scientific findings…

‘Work’- I think… I can taste acid that has come rushing up my oesophagus!

‘Diet’ - tastes like burnt intestines… (in fact, whenever I diet while others don’t, I go through the ‘vayaru paththi eriyaradu’ a k a ‘pet jal raha hai’ syndrome).

‘Exercise’ … I get the taste of hot chocolate…And that’s the end of it! Now no one can blame me for my ‘obelixity’!

‘Fever’—I can taste Horlicks but Freud would relate that to my sickly childhood and glasses of Horlicks Mom used to make me drink!

‘Popcorns’ … whoa! That word triggers the heavenly smell of fresh, hot --popcorns! That must be the proverbial exception proving the rule!

One consolation is that, apparently, Synaesthesia is very common among artists, poets and musicians.

So, ‘Write’ I think….and voila! I can taste success! ( Pssst! It tastes sweet!)

2. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Of course my dear ! "Write" cannot taste like anything but Sweet Success to You !
    Your posts taste like a sinfully rich bananasplit with oodles of syrup and loaded with nuts, yummy yummy ! leaves one drooling and screaming for MORE !
    More power to yr. pen or pencil or keyboard .....

luv
    manjula

3. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Manjula,
    Thank you for those lovely words... I feel scared to publish things here... I still am unfamiliar with all the Do's and Don'ts...
    Any positive comment eases me up a little... Thanx a ton for making me feel good.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

hey viju,
    nice taste da, what happened to those biscuits which jam us together,bring them over i want to distribute among the ilites..sunkan

5. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

twinsmom
    Thanks again for an interesting thread.
    enjoyed it so much.
    you really have such a nice way with words. good job.
    regards
    anandchitra

6. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi Sunkan,
    Thank you... The biscuit thingy has too many pictures....I wonder if it'll fit here...

7. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Dear Anandchitra,
    Thank you for the encouragement...

8. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Where did u get the mug photo. i want one that reads boys mom etc. let me know how. thanks

9. twinsmom

twinsmom Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    A friend sent it to me.. She is a blogger here...Sunkan... She sent me this.. Cute isn't it?

10. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Twinsmom,

"Now no one can blame me for my ‘obelixity’! :rotfl . "

Are you a fan of Asterix comics apart from Tintin?

Regards
    Vidya