1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I miss my dearest WELL a lot!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by srinivasan_vanaja, Mar 18, 2008.

1. srinivasan_vanaja

srinivasan_vanaja Gold IL'ite

dear aishu,

thanks for the reply and the comments. yes, it is a habit in every house which has a WELL to check the water lever after heavy rains. and during this rainy season, we never use the pulley or rope. we would just put the bucket in and take out water with the hand.

2. Meenaneelakantan

Meenaneelakantan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vanaja ma'am

You made me look back..Even we had a WELL in our house in my native. With coconut trees surrounding it, and me resting my back on the walls of the well n studying under the shades of the coconut tree...Wow it was something like heaven..But the sad part is that well was closed after sometime when we were in need of bore water..

Thanks for taking me back!! Enjoyed your write-up!!BowBow

Love
    Meena

3. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Devika,

thanks for the reply. yes, it is a great joy when you do all these cleaning work near the WELL. that too our WELL water tastes good. and when you wash vessels and clothes you get enough lather. like you even i have done water service. great memories!

4. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Sriniketan,

thanks for the reply. clapping hands before drawing water is something i have not heard. if possible find out tell me the reason. may be awakening the pancha boothams as water is one among them.

but i have seen my neighbour uncle doing "Sandhya Vandanam" and "Amavasya Tharpanam" near the WELL, drawing fresh water from the WELL.

5. srinivasan_vanaja

thanks for the reply and comments. as kids we never get afraid of WELLs and we always have the curiosity to peep in and find out the depth. during vacation as you said, most of the time we hang around that area.

6. srinivasan_vanaja

shanthi,

thanks for the reply. you are reminding me one thing. that is when the WELL gets dried up. it happens once in 2 years. due to lack of rain, the WELL gets dried up, but still we can see the sand bed wet. may be the water level goes down, but the spring oozes out in less quantity. you will get a nice aroma from the WELL during that time.

even we use to throw small items like pencil, torn ball, dolls and stones. it was fun.

7. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Meena,

Thanks for the reply. Like you, I too used to sit and study for my Annual Examinations near our WELL. Being summer, that was the only place I find to Chillout!. I used to by heart the answers and would repeat them peeping into the WELL.

8. Oviya

Oviya Silver IL'ite

Dear Vanaja,

It's very true...

A pleasure in memorising again....The well was common to our house and a neighbour. That neighbour aunty used to call me standing on its parapet wall to give me something she prepared. Had some friends on the other side. I used to compete with my cousins in getting water from it during holidays. That well is a living evidence of my chidhood days. My parents moved out to a different town, now. So, missing it a lot. Still, we have some family friends in that city. Whenever I get to visit, like spending sometime there.

9. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Dear Vanaja

Do u beleive me .if i say.i still live in the same place............where i was born, brought up......did my schooling, college/got maried and now settled there...........the same place and still we have that well even today..........TO OTHER'S SURPRISE AND ENVY.........of our neighbours / relatives and all.we have never faced water scarcity so far...........and we have convcerted our INDIVIDUAL HOUSE to FLAT SYSTEM..........still we didnt have any BOREWELL and we are using the same WELL for flats also..........

As u say even we used to see our faces ( me and my 2 sisters) amd morning coffee we used to have there sitting in tthat wall.and if my our parents come by that side...we used to get shoutings from them....

And somebody say to us that.if fish is there in the well.it will be clean...and we begged our mojm to get us fish..............and atlast opur servant got us few....and after some rainy season..we see lot of fishes there.................and we used to feed them with Puffed rice.............

and in rainy season...even today.........the water will come to the top most level .like we can jus take out with our hand ........so we are scared now to send our kids that side.....

and, like u people we also used to drop pillair after vinayaka sathurthi..........so far nealy i myself have dr...opped nearly 25........and now we have small ganesha for our flat....near the entrance

then, this is the apt situation to , THANK OUR "WELL" ...BowBowBow..who has given us plenty of water even in the time of crisis......didnt allowed us to suffer without water....so far........and this is my dad's condition to the builder not to take out "well" .EVEN IN FUTURE IF WE GO FOR BORE FOR OTHER REASONS..........AND MY DAD IS NO MORE.AND OUR INDIVIDUAL HOUSE ALSO.........but only this "well"............and it really really means lot to us.............IS IT NOT FRIENDS?????//:cry::cry::cry::cry:and we have lost our dad...who constuct this biG house or flat for us..and gave us ample water for our future also..........

Dad.........where r u now......:cry::cry::cry:....i hope..u r still with us and will be with ........us for ever...........and safe gaurd and bless us.......

Sorry for talking iirelevant.......pls forgive me.........

10. srinivasan_vanaja

Dear Oviya,

Thanks for sharing your memories. Yes, it is a better place to share things between houses. In a tamil movie called "Samsaram Adhu Minsaram", the head of the house (due to a quarrel between him and his son) would separate the house by drawing a line between the house to divide the house into two portions. That line would go till the WELL behind.

Both the ladies of the house use to exchange words and things near this WELL. WELL had played an important role here too.