I m in my 14th week and have a terrible aversion to rice.please suggest.

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Geethajithu, May 26, 2013.

1. Geethajithu

Geethajithu New IL'ite

I m in my 14th week now. I have eaten rice all my life,but now I got an aversion to rice. I feel like puking even if I think of rice, I cannot stand the very smell of rice or the smell from cooker. Has anybody had a dislike for rice during pregnancy. How did u manage. What other alternatives have u tried, can anyone suggest.
    :help

2. lgirish

lgirish Platinum IL'ite

It is okay to have weird tastes during the first trimester. Some women don't like the smell of cooking rice, sambar etc., Your taste will keep on changing. I had an aversion for sambar and had rasam instead for some time. Idli with chilli powder was my favourite and managed with it. As long as your intake of veggies and other things is okay don't worry about rice intake. Try chapathi or other tiffin items.

3. Nijasav

Nijasav IL Hall of Fame

Me too had. I don;t like to enter the kitchen. The sight of Dal and Rice made me puke. I lived on fruits and brown bread. My hubby used to cook and night time he forces me to have RASAM rice ( more Imli one). He gives me like soup type and i close my eyes and swallow it.

4. shruthipraveen

shruthipraveen Platinum IL'ite

:) Pregnancy always gives weird tastes/aversions.
    Try the following instead:
    1. idli-stew
    2.Oats with fruit of your choice
    3.Wheat dosa-coconut chutney.
    4. Rice puttu-Black channa curry
    5.kerala appam-egg curry/veg stew

5. ssm014

ssm014 Platinum IL'ite

Chapathi, parathas, dosas, adai vareities, bread, broken wheat/ dalia etc are all good options..

6. miscellaneous

miscellaneous Silver IL'ite

Hi geetha,

I am in the same boat but I am slowly getting over the aversion. I survived on chapathis,bread and soup for the last month.

7. Geethajithu

Geethajithu New IL'ite

U guys are amazing !! Thanku all for ur timely replies... :)

8. JazzyJazz

JazzyJazz Silver IL'ite

I have the same issue, I feel the rice smells of cockroaches when it cooks sorry no offence meant but thats how I feel these days, I used to prefer having rice 3 times a day. :( I also have an issue with onions getting sauteed which means I can hardly do any Indian cooking. :( If you have sambhar to which raw mango is added orw ith extra tamarind/tangy taste to it, it gets a bit easier. These days there are so many alternatives to rice, like our other friends said, brown bread is an option for now which can be had with soups, in fact its healthier than our regular white rice too, too much chappatis can cause an increase in body heat cause its made of wheat. I used to try something called cous-cous here, it seems okay so far for me. We also have so many other grains like rava, semolina, etc, please try giving it a try.