I lost my draft message! How to retrieve it?

Discussion in 'Site Help & FAQs' started by Ushakrishnan64, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I was doing a spell check to my reply to Varalotti's Episode 7. I lost the message (Cannot figure out how..) Can I retrieve that message or is it lost?

Thanks for your attention.

Regards
    USHA KRISHNAN

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

this happens to me all the time. :confused:

Wld like some answers too.

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

The Only Way Out..

Dear Usha and Vidya,
    I have also suffered like that several times. This happens particularly when you are using a shared computer and you have not asked the computer to remember your password. (this has to be done when you enter the IL site for the first time). If it is a shared system, if there is no activity for a long time (this will happen when you are correcting the draft) then the connection is lost. When you go again your reply so far would have vanished into thin air.
    The best antidote for this is: If you have planned a long reply, first write the reply in a word file in your hard disk. Then when you have corrected the draft and saved it, open the IL site go to the thread activate reply and cut and paste the contents from your word file.
    Usha, please do write a reply fast. Since it concerns my serial I am anxiously waiting for your remarks.
    sridhar/Varalotti

4. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Solution...

Sridhar,

Thank you for taking the time to answer this help query based on your experience.

Usha, Vidya & others,

Be it a shared computer or private computer, there are few reasons for this to happen...

1. When you login into the site, below username & password - you will notice a 'remember password' checkbox. If you did NOT select this, your computer is only temporarily connected to the server hosting the site and hence the session in your username is also temporary. If you draft a message and leave the session idle for sometime, your computer looses connection with the server and hence your session is lost.

2. Someitmes, even if you have selected 'remember password', but your internet connection goes down for various reasons, you loose connection to the site and hence whatever you have been doing in the site in edit / draft mode is lost.

It is not possible to retreive the message lost for the draft is not stored in your computer (or) the draft is not yet reached the site too.

Solution suggested by Sridhar is one option. Alternately, if you are returning back to your session to continue with your draft, first copy whatever you have drafted so far. Check & ensure your connection with the site is still valid and then continue further.

5. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Induslady and others,

I have also faced this problem and continue to face it.I do this these days.

1. When posting/replying to a post,if I want to spell check,in Internet explorer,from the top menu,I click 'File','New','window'.

2. This opens a new internet explorer(IE)window.Here,you can do the spell check or anything you want,while your earlier IE windows having your draft mesg is still open.

3. Once you finish with the 2nd window,come back to the first and draft/send your mesg.

Cheers

6. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Thank you the suggestions. Sridhar, I have re-drafted my reply and posted the same. Waiting your read the rest of B & B.

Regards
    USHA