1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I hate my MIL and want my husband to live separately.how do i convince him to do so.

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by pamira, May 1, 2013.

1. pamira

pamira New IL'ite

Hi,
    I got married two months back and am fedup with my MIL and her family.I stay in a joint family.My FIL has expired 4 years back and my MIL had cancer which my husband got treated (by spending all his savings) and now she is completely cured but still she is always taking -ve about my husband in front of me (when he is not around) and keeps praising her elder son who is a big time selfish person.... she has never liked me.Never talks to me properly and tries to irritate me in every possible way.She is very very conservative and the place where they live adds to it.We live in a place which is in the interiors of the town with very narrow roads (only motorcycle can pass properly) and the people are also narrow minded(just like my MIL)i nether like the locality nor the family members.I feel trapped and claustrophobic.I cannot go to any place all by myself,i can't wear what i like wearing...i have to wear all the traditional jewellery etc(in this hot and humid weather)...i have to eat whatever is cooked and have no other choice (rules made by my MIL).I have told my husband about my MIl's behavior and the various other problems but he always says one thing"give me some time".What i fear is how long is this "some time".I also have some dreams like all newly weds have and want to fulfill them at the right age and time.They have another very good flat in a very good locality which is not in use.I want that i and my husband shift there so that we have our own space.He can help his mother with the money etc for her checkups etc and i don't have a problem with it.His elder brother and other family members stay there onlyy so she won't be left alone also.We can visit her on weekends.This way we can be happy and the relations will also not get more strained....but he is not convinced...Please friends give me ideas of how i can convince my husband to leave this place and shift to a better place.Please help me.I want to get out of this place and away from my MIL.

Waiting for your response [​IMG]

2. Roopamanju

Roopamanju Platinum IL'ite

Re: I hate my MIL and want my husband to live separately.how do i convince him to do

Is this love marriage or arranged marriage? how about her relationship with your co-sis?

3. Roopamanju

Roopamanju Platinum IL'ite

Re: I hate my MIL and want my husband to live separately.how do i convince him to do

that's too early to decide!

that's a son's duty!
    that's not your problem it's her son's !
    Is this love marriage? have you ever tried to get along with her?

you would've been aware of these factors well before your marriage?!? then how come you feel trapped?

I'd blame your DH rather your MIL for these issues........

you need her son and flat but you don't want to take care of the old widowed woman , I don't get any clue about her nasty behavior from your post, but your intention is not genuine , sorry to say this and sorry if you are hurt.

7 people like this.
  4. sunshine1970

sunshine1970 Gold IL'ite

I think it is too early to do this. You should give it at least a year. I am pretty sure before marriage you were told about living arrangements so why do you feel trapped now. My husband offered before we got married (arranged) to live on our own in his rental house and I said no because I wanted to be a goody DIL. We moved out about two years after we got married because I had to give it time. Also my husband had offered alternative and I did not take it. I think you need to invest some more time into relationship and living conditions. Remember if you had arranged marriage your husband hardly knows you, and he has more loyalties at this point to his mother than you.

2 people like this.
  5. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

it's been only 2 months. you are giving up too soon. take one step at a time. be diplomatic and stop telling your husband your complaints. have patience, things will change. If you move out this soon, relationships will not improve as you expect. chances are they will spoil because you will branded as house breaker :roll: thats probably why your h s also asking for some time. I think you should go with him. he knows his family set up better than you do.

your problems are little annoyances and can be dealt with if you keep it in perspective.

example: about the jewellery and stuff, I agree it is hot and icky and damn uncomfortable. but can you put it in front of her and remove it once you are out? and when you come back, put them back on.

About food, get to know her, know about her likes and dislikes.. ask H what is it she prepares well and ask her to prepare it for you and do not forget to appreciate.

Go out with H and spend some time. yourDh can talk to your MIll about having some time alone together.

sweetheart, yes you are newly wed, you are young and the time is right to do the things you want to.. but you have nothing to worry, you are going to be young a long time, there will be enough time for you to enjoy... you are losing you patience too soon... relax and see what happens. :) adjusting is difficult, but not impossible and if you have to vent, we are always here for you. Goodluck girl.

4 people like this.
  6. ChandrikaV

ChandrikaV IL Hall of Fame

Pamira,

I agree with other ILs......your expectations are not reasonable and I do feel your husband is doing the right thing by taking care of his sick mom. You do not want to separate him from his family in just 2 months. Why dont you find a job and keep yourself busy?

1 person likes this.
  7. tulipzz

tulipzz Platinum IL'ite

Whose flat is that?

Whoa! You are fed up in two months? What does your mil do to you? How exactly does she irritate you? Does she abuse you or say hurtful things ? If she likes her elder son more it's her wish.

Does she stop you from cooking what you like? What "newly wed wishes" does she not allow you to fulfil?

If you can answer these questions in detail, ppl on this forum can help you with better advice

2 people like this.
  8. Coolchap

Coolchap New IL'ite

You better get the flat on your name first, then throw out your DH and MIL so that you can live happily.

what a crook you are.

Last edited: May 2, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. suasin

suasin Gold IL'ite

Assuming the flat to be a joint property, why not ask your bil n cosis move over there? That way, you will be in everbody's good books and you can cook whatever you want to eat, you will have privacy to some extent(as it'll be only your not so healthy mil),you can go out shopping for essentials, giving you some time out, etc..:-D
    Seriously, There are worse situations, atleast you are asked you to 'eat' whatever is cooked, there are people who have to cook, clean n then eat whatever is left.I think since you are newly married, there will be expectatioons on appearances, so, they expect you to wear jewellery etc...wear some cotton salwars, comfortable n easily manageable ones.
    Relax, you are probably missing home, those carefree days... Once you bond with your husband, you'll blend in... Afterall, your mil is sick, she is old n your husband'll love you all the more he sees you caring for his mother..old fashioned advice, but always a winner!!!
    All the best!!!!

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  10. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

If it is your mils flat then things will go according to her wishes. If you want to live separately take another flat on rent and move out. But you need to give things some time. Your husband is right.

1 person likes this.