1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

I got annyoed

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by skalluri, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Skalluri

I'm sorry your feelings were hurt by the woman's comment. I don't know why SHE said what she did, but I can tell you that I personally do not enjoy listening to other people's phone conversations. So, I have to reiterate what SriVidya and Sabitha have said here - it is considered by some people to be an invasion of privacy to have a phone conversation clearly audible to other people in a confined space, and for that reason, many public areas, including restrooms, are marked no cellphone use zones.

It is unfortunate that you are going through a tough time in your life and that you can't go outside to use your cellphone. But it is precisely those kinds of conversations that I do not wish to hear. Half-listening to my colleague's subdued work telephone conversations in the next cubicle is not the same as being trapped in a restroom cubicle and having an earful of someone's very personal problems. Even if I can't understand or can't make out what the other person is saying, in a quiet place like a restroom, it can be quite abrasive to have to listen to someone else talk on the phone.

This is nothing against you personally, and I hope the woman who offended you did not mean anything against you personally either. There are many ways to invade someone else's space besides the physical - in some situations people are cautioned not to wear strong colognes (child birth classes, for example), whereas in other places it's quite appropriate. Cell phone conversations fall into this same category in terms of appropriate times and places.

Again, I am sorry your feelings were hurt; the woman in question could have spoken to you in a nicer way. But I hope you will understand that sometimes, we have to be mindful of other people even if it is inconvenient for us. I probably would have been hurt, too, if someone had done to me what this woman did to you. But at the end of the day, I would rather know when I'm offending someone, than keep on doing the same thing, blissfully unaware that I am causing a disturbance.

Even if you don't agree with this view, it might be helpful for you to consider it. I hope you feel better soon :)

P.S. If this was clearly some sort of racist or discriminatory incident that had more to do with your skin colour than your cell phone use, please consider consulting HR about your rights, and possible forms of redress, in this matter. However, you should be certain that this is the case; perhaps something specific the woman said, like a racial epithet or some other discriminatory marker.

2. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

People have different tolerance levels, Sujatha..
    May be she was the one with low tolerance atleast at that particular time..

No this was not anything racial..

Not to say that you talked loud or anything - not to hurt your feelings too... also not justifying that lady's rude gesture..
    but personally I would wish if people do not have long talks at the restroom..(however I won't be rude)
    it may sound wierd.. but sometimes I take refuge at the restroom to think logics. :rotfl
    And I had found solutions too many times. :biglaugh

Take it easy..

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Actually I do not mind if people talk all they want on the phone as long as it is not in the work area. Restroom and break room are the other options. How much time does it take to use the restroom anyways? Talk about low tolerance and lack of compassion. Have we become so intolerant and fragile that we are not even able to tune out other ppls cell conversations in non-work public areas?

Sujatha, I think the lady was rude, she should have come up with a more civilized way to communicate. I would not give it a racist tinge. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume that she lacks the ability to communicate in a civil manner.

4. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Oh BeeAmma.. in my case, till I hit a solution to the problem I am brainstorming or just before my boss files a missing person case. :rotfl
    Kidding.. just to ease the breeze.

5. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

Dear BeeAmma,

thanks for understanding my point, restroom is non work area and moreover it is break room with chairs too. and how much time does it take to use restroom and go away from there.. in that meantime there is no need to involve in others matters and get frustrated so much. she is so fragile and didn't behave in civil manner as you said. you said my feelings.
    If people become so intolerent, how can they lead their day to day life.

On day to day manner, in the office cubciles, I know people talk , talk, talk continuously and even unnecessary things to their colleagues or on phone that too in loud voice. are we not tolerating with good manners even though sometimes it is disturbing to our work?

On other other hand, I see people when we meet them in restrooms, talk so pleasantly, so polite even though we dont know each other, and even discuss any topic that comes in between spontaneously.

the kind of people like the frustrated lady I mentioned, it is shame to them to treat others like that. minimum manners , diplomancy she should have maintained in that matter of few minutes.

Sujatha.

6. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Suja

Using cellphones in restrooms is a known no-no. Restrooms are supposed to be a relaxing place for many away from their stressful cubicle or office rooms. As Ansuya mentioned in your workplace you can avoid minimally to listen to someone talking in their cell phone, but in a restroom you have no other go... whether you like it or not, you hear them talking... It is a widely known rule though not explicitly mentioned :) I agree that the woman should have atleast advised you of this. But who know what she was going through you know :) Take this is as a lesson learnt :)

7. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

Arre yaar nandhu,

People yap away in their cubes(amrus, desis etc) many a times. We are all humans and at times we need to vent, chill out, etc...

What about tolerance? Imagine what a low threshold the woman has. This is a one off incident, she had to endure it fo at the most 2-3 mins. It is not that she is sitting in the cube next to OP.

IMO. this "unsaid" rule takes intolerance to a new level.

8. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Agree, without disturbing your fellow workers is the point.. we can chat all our time outside, near the lobby, elevator, smoking areas.. but in cubicles and restrooms is not very easily accepted :)

It depends right... what if she was sitting in a stressful meeting for hours and as a break come to restroom only to listen to someone else yapping her break time all over again :)

Its all very circumstantial you know.. it depends on everyone's stress level at that given point of time and that is why it is advised to not talk in such places :)

9. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

You know, if she was stressed out, she could have taken a brisk walk instead of speaking rudely with OP. Or if she was concerned by some policy she should inform the admin and have the admin post a note to prevent future occurrence.

At my office, we have explicit notices in the office hallways indicating that people should not stand there and yap (in the hallways), none in our restrooms or break rooms.

10. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

We were just talking(me and my another amru colleague in my cubicle) about other woman in the next cubicle that she talks loudly and not concerned about others, people just dont behave and as we are not white skin, just need to shup up. thats the lesson I learnt.