I Feel So Overwhelmed

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by mangaii, Jun 18, 2024.

1. mangaii

mangaii Platinum IL'ite

I feel so overwhelmed I just want my life to shutdown
    I need to pick up new skills for my project which I'm working with folks from India team and this has messed up my sleep schedule
    I need to plan for our upcoming trip booking rooms, flight tickets and other things
    I'm also doing a university class for credits which requires tons of reading and writing.
    I have skipped my shloka class two weeks in a row since I haven't practiced anything.
    I missed my kid's doctor appointment today morning since I thought 18th was on Thursday .
    I'm on edge most of the time since my husband and my older kid argue 24x7.
    I feel so overwhelmed at this point of time I'm actually spiraling down with stress and anxiety. My schedule is totally whacked up and I just want to run away .

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

Are you kumba raasi by any chance.

I might be wrong on my guess but try listening to some astrology videos for your raasi and how your time will be. Oddly enough, when things go crazy, for some people, listening to them gives strength.

Wishing you the best.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2024
    Thyagarajan and mangaii like this.
  3. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Gold IL'ite

Wow you are doing so much. I would like to applaud you first. I am doing only two things and now thinking i am working hard.

I think it is normal to be exhausted. Take an hour break and write down the tasks and share some of them with husband like doc office or trip. Rest u can come up with a plan like hours dedicated for the task and try to stick to the plan. Consider the least priority one on hold till the plan gets better.

You have come all this way. Dont give up now. Dont worry about missing two classes. Past or outcome. Dont think abt it. Just focus on organising the tasks and doing it and dont look back because you are doing best.

Common mistake I do when i have too much work is to think about all pending works while I do a work. And become frustrated and overwhelmed and that will make me not to do any work at all. Focus on one when doing one. Others will get their turn.

When u relax, you will get a sudden spurt of energy. Try and use it.

Thyagarajan, mangaii and radv like this.
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

Unless your children are very small and unable to handle day to day matters on their own, I would suggest you to prioritize your tasks, and always give importance to what is needed to be done for yourself.
    You have mentioned a few tasks here, but I am sure your day would be much more than this. Such as cooking, mothering kids, doing regular chores, going to work (9-5 job or part time) and many others; hence you are feeling overwhelmed.

Perhaps, delegate some of the tasks such as booking for trips, doctor appointment etc to your H. Involve kids in the daily chores, and teach them to manage at least some of their tasks. For now, ignore unwanted arguments and focus your energy on practicing slokhas or developing a new skill.

Thyagarajan, mangaii and radar30062 like this.
  5. mangaii

mangaii Platinum IL'ite

@wish4miracle thanks luckily the next day was off

I’m doing better
    @SGBV thanks I’m doing better .
    Weekend is here . Time to unwind

@Thoughtful no I’m not that raasi

Thyagarajan likes this.
  6. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

@mangaii I was in the same boat as you in terms of forgetting days/dates/appointments. This is due to mental stress that you are under. Even now some days I don't know what day/date is on because time gallops for me. So what worked for me was to put down every small detail and appointment in my calendar and look at it every previous evening. If I don't put my appointment in my calendar, for sure I will miss it because I have become horrible at checking my emails and smses.

First off, you need your regular sleep hours. If you sleep at hours that is not your regular sleeping hours, or even sleep for an hour less, it would make you sleep deprived (happened to me) and that would make you physically tired, with less tolerance and increased frustration.

Prioritize yourself. Everything and everyone else can wait. Take care.

mangaii and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Srama

Srama IL Hall of Fame

Dear @mangaii ,

Not to diminish how you feel, but all I will say is "Hang in there, and this too shall pass." One of the things I have learnt from my principal at school is to compartmentalize, and it works wonderfully. Compartmentalizing allows things (emotions and feelings) not to spill over from one area of your life to another.

My response to each of your situations in italics.

• I need to pick up new skills for my project which I'm working with folks from India team and this has messed up my sleep schedule - see it as a temporary situation and give yourself a timeline to work with this. See if you can learn to take cat naps
    • I need to plan for our upcoming trip booking rooms, flight tickets and other things - again a temporary situation and look at the fun times you are helping create. Pat yourself on your back.
    • I'm also doing a university class for credits which requires tons of reading and writing. - self-improvement as I see it. Something you are hopefully doing for yourself, remind yourself of that.
    • I have skipped my shloka class two weeks in a row since I haven't practiced anything. Don't skip even if you haven't practiced. Being in that satsangha will help you.
    • I missed my kid's doctor appointment today morning since I thought 18th was on Thursday .- phone reminders are the only way to deal with this. I put simple things like call this friend at this time, or make this binder etc on there. I even have reminders for turn on this shloka!
    • I'm on edge most of the time since my husband and my older kid argue 24x7.- a difficult one to process but if you gently remind yourself that it is somewhat expected and in fact, a normal somewhat natural thing also, it will help you to just be an observer.
    • I feel so overwhelmed at this point of time I'm actually spiraling down with stress and anxiety. My schedule is totally whacked up and I just want to run away .- completely understandable with all that going on but you got this! I cannot stress on 'compartmentalizing enough'! You can do this. Give yourself more credit and a hug!
    Best wishes @mangaii ! Get yourself ready for that vacation and unwinding!

mangaii and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

I feel so overwhelmed I just want my life to shutdown - It happens only when you are stressed beyond a level that you could handle. Do everything possible to reduce this stress below a limit that you can handle.
    I need to pick up new skills for my project which I'm working with folks from India team and this has messed up my sleep schedule - I have done this almost regularly having conference calls with Australia, India, and the United Kingdom. You need to relax more when you have breaks in between especially weekends. Find ways and means to bring in discipline and have brief conversations as a habit in the calls. We all know, calls can be repeatitive and can take longer than the time actually needed for learning new skills.
    I need to plan for our upcoming trip booking rooms, flight tickets and other things - Make a plan for the dates and outsource it to a travel agent to come out with multiple itinerary and options. Please don't sweat on this.
    I'm also doing a university class for credits which requires tons of reading and writing. - This is one time effort and your focus has to be on this as it is going to have a long-term benefit in your life.
    I have skipped my shloka class two weeks in a row since I haven't practiced anything. - It is okay to skip two weeks in a row and don't blame yourselves on this. Don't guilt wrap yourselves as though you have left away from God. Even a simple prayer to start the day during such busy schedule is okay.
    I missed my kid's doctor appointment today morning since I thought 18th was on Thursday - Have a printed calendar or diary in hand so that you can note down such important appointments at the time of hearing about it than assuming the day or date mentally. There is no need for things that can be noted down easily than keeping in our memories.
    I'm on edge most of the time since my husband and my older kid argue 24x7. - Have them sit down among themselves and resolve it and tell them pointblank that it is stressing you so much because you love both of them equally.
    I feel so overwhelmed at this point of time I'm actually spiraling down with stress and anxiety. My schedule is totally whacked up and I just want to run away . Always remember a list of action items are to remember what to do. You can always prioritize what is important and some of these items don't have to have a time schedule. Prioritize what is important and push some of these actions. Health is much more important than achieving some of these goals.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  9. mangaii

mangaii Platinum IL'ite

@Srama @Viswamitra
    Thanks for the input . I found some of the places where I was going wrong and was able to fix somethings in schedule. I appreciate you taking time to provide your feedback. It helped me to see things which I overlooked earlier.

Thyagarajan, Srama and Viswamitra like this.
  10. mangaii

mangaii Platinum IL'ite

@gamma50g it is funny we both advice each other to sleep well . I’m catching on my sleep. Summer break has really messed up my schedule

Thyagarajan and gamma50g like this.