1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

I Cried!And That Too On Seeing A TV Show! Varalotti In The US 8

Discussion in 'Wednesdays with Varalotti' started by varalotti, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Varalotti,

That was real nice... I tried to control my emotions... But unfortunately I couldnt but thant to wipe my tears... I can understand the feelings... We should appreciate the lady for all the work she has done... Donating few thousands when you are a Billionaire is nothing great... Doing for the people below you when you yourself is struggling to meet your end is something great... Not everybody will get such thoughts... You should have a very Big Heart for that...

The response from the people in rebuilding the house etc... receprocates the same feeling... This is something very fantastic... We normally see these things in Movies... But if this happens in real, then it is highly commendable..

Thanks for bringing in this, so that we all understand what humanity is all about... Which we are slowly tend to forgetting, reading the things happening in India....

Veda

2. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    not only you, we all cry on reading this! It is wonderful that people noticed the lady's worth and helped her so that she could help others more now, with out the fear that her family would be suffering.
    And the baby with the DS, that is how God deals his cards to humans mostly - patta kaalileye padum, ketta kudiye kedum. But in this lady's case he has done the most wonderful thing - makkal sevaiye magesan sevai.
    When very angry with my son's medium marks, my hubby says that he has done so much for him. I then tell him that he can afford all that he has done to his son, he has not sacrificed anything to keep his son in comfort. There are so many parents who forego even the basics, to educate their children. It is not a great thing to donate liberally a pittance when one is very rich, but to give even a handful of rice to someone even while you have not eaten for days, is indeed a noble cause.
    There was a touching scene in the Mallu movie 'Kazhcha' the hero takes a small orphaned boy to his house and feeds him (the boy had been pestering the hero to feed him for many days). When the child is given food, he starts to eat. Then he notices that a dog is looking at the food longingly. This child who had not eaten for many days, feeds the dog too.

3. gayathriar

gayathriar Bronze IL'ite

That was a very nice narration of an episode of 'Extreme makeover : Home edition'. I really like this show and every episode is as moving as the one you narrated. When it comes to generosity in terms of money and time, Americans top the world chart. They are the ones that volunteer most in the world...!

A very good show - let's see which of our SUN, Raj and Jaya TVs get inspiration from such shows...!

-Gayathri.

4. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vandhana,

Thanks for being the first one to respond. Yes, I hear a lot of good things about the people here. In Seattle when a child was missing, the entire neighbourhood abandoned their work and went in search of the child. Somebody took care of the grieving parents, someone co-ordinated with the Police and somebody baby-sat the rest of the children.

I observed Vandhana, that here life and labour has more value than material things. Once a country has that kind of an attitude it soon becomes the richest nation on earth.

In India in many places I find the exact reverse of this. They don't pay for the labour but pay exorbitantly for the materials. My client once paid Rs.100, 000 for a computer but was haggling for a Rs.15,000 software. He got it for 12k. The computer became obsolete in 2 years and had to be thrown away. He is still using the software.

I had planned to write about something else. But after I saw the programme I could not help writing about this.
    Thanks Vandhana for the kind words,
    regards,

5. varalotti

Welcome aboard, Tulasi. Well, let this be a great beginning. Looking forward to many, many interactions from you.

Helping others is not throwing money at them. That is giving alms and it is demeaning to the receiver.

Once you find somebody who think deserve your help, try to give so much and with so much love, that he should forget you throughout her life. At the same time we should not get carried away and help imposters.

Our Thaithriya Upanishad declares on giving:
    Give with earnestness. Don't be insincere while giving. Giving it with love. Give in abunance.
    sraddhaya deyam. asradhaya adeya. sriya deyam. hriya deyam. biya deyam. samvida deyam.

I am happy that you enjoyed the show and the narration.

Thanks Tulasi for your first response in my forum. By the way, if I am not inquisiite, what held you back from writing here, for so long?

Regards,

6. varalotti

Dear Kamla,
    The kind of praise you are showering on my writings infuses a sense of urgency in me to write more and write better.
    When I wrote the narration, for a while, the distinction between the writer and the written word disappeared. I could not say where I ended and where my writings began. The show had such an impact.
    And Kamla, I am after all painting the picture in words. Think about that noble souls who made it a reality.
    I would deem myself a successful person when I make somebody as happy as Momi someday.
    That will be the goal I will be striving for, for the rest of my life.

Thanks once again,
    Love,
    sridhar

7. varalotti

Dear Sundari,
    Yes, you are right. Land has got those qualities. Our poet Thiruvalluvar went one step ahead and said "akazhvaraith thaangum nilam pol". The land bears even those who are digging into it.
    That's why we worship land as Bhooma Devi.
    But one should see a show like that to just believe in the power of human love. The show came in at the right time when I started losing hope on human values, especially love and compassion.
    Happy to know that you are giving and helping in your own way. May you ever remain blessed.
    regards,
    sridhar

8. varalotti

You are right Shanthi. Many people think that helping others being something big - like giving a million dollars, or donating a kidney or things like that. When you see a lonely person on the street and just smile at her, her face lits up. You have made her day.
    When you see someone wearing a good dress, tell her that the dress is great. You have made her day.
    Helping others does not mean harming ourelves. In fact in a society of which I am a member, we are urged to help others without any detriment to ourselves or connections.

I am happy to note that you have an attitude of helping others even in small ways.

I once wrote about an incident here in IL. I don't mind repeating it. I had bought a new motorcycle two years ago and went for a long ride in it. It started to rain all of a sudden. I took refuge under the canopy of a large petrol pump. LIke me there were a hundred two-wheelers parked safely there. After ten minutes the rains subsided. Everyone started to leave. I started the vehicle. Then I remembered something. I switched off the vehicle. Went to see the person in charge of the pump.
    I told him that for ten minutes he provided me one of the fundamental needs of a human being. Shelter. And many thanks for that.
    He was rendered speechless.
    And Shanthi, when we do good to others, there is no need for anyone else to do good to us. For on that day, seeing that person in the petrol pump happy and emotional,I was very happy.
    A good deed is happiness in itself. It comes in-built with its reward. And that reward is happiness.

Regards,

9. varalotti

Thanks, Shobana.
    I was glued to the screen for the entire two hours of the show. And the show I saw was the very first of the season. So it was for double the normal time. And they built two huge buildings instead of the usual one.
    The monetary value of the help cannot be estimated as the entire work was sponsored and done mostly by volunteers.
    I would conservatively put the estimate at some 3 million dollars. That will be the price of both the buildings.
    But, Shobana, I will have to concede a total defeat when it comes to valuing the love, the passion, the compassion that went into building these.
    The two buildings now stand as unfailing monuments of human love. My faith in the human race is revived. With this kind of love we can face a thousand tsunamis and a billion storms. Nothing can tear us apart.
    regards,

10. varalotti

Dear, dear, Vinoran,
    I am very happy and proud to have such a nice person like you as my fan. If at all I write my autobiography one day, I shall mention this fact in bold letters there.

I am happy you liked the words that I carved with love.

In fact there are Angels around us. The main thing is, they are not recognized well, specially in our country. Hope atleast we make efforts to bring them to the "Lime light".

These words are good. But I would just like to add that our goal in life should be to be an angel, at least to one or a few persons. Who is an angel, after all? A being which showers its love and makes a difference in one's life. I am sure that we can be an angel at least to one person, be it the spouse, child, a friend or even to a dog on the street.

Love,
    sridhar