I am taking aspiring full first trimester. is it safe

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by harinideep, Oct 10, 2013.

1. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

I am 11 weeks pregnant now. Have been told by doc to take aspirin ( ecospirin 75 mg ) from the time of trying to conceive.
    She told to continue that for entire first trimester. Today I just googled aspirin
    during preganancy and got scared reading about it .
    Please let me know if any other doc had prescribed aspirin
    ( I had a miscarriage last year . And In 6 th week , i had abdomen pain this time )
    I am worried. Please reply me

2. crazymom

crazymom Gold IL'ite

My doctor told me that I can take Tylenol. When I asked her if I can take Aspirin or not , she said a big NO for that.

3. LuvUMom

LuvUMom Silver IL'ite

Are you talking about aspirin or BabyAspirin? Aspirin is a No but doctors prescribe BabyAspirin for some with previous miscarriage. Call up your doctor and clear out your concerns as in why he prescribed it and if it is safe.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  4. augustmom

augustmom Senior IL'ite

Congratulations!! May i ask you the reason for the doctor to prescribe baby aspirin? It is usually prescribed if you have a blood clotting issue .I guess it was prescribed since you had a loss last time...Baby aspirin is safe since it is just 75mg. Also if you had a loss before or you have a blood clotting issue, then taking this only during the first trimester may not be very helpful ..Ask the doctor whatever doubt you have..

5. skyinsc

skyinsc Silver IL'ite

my RE prescribed baby aspirin and my gynec recommended to continue ( she said even if i discontinue in second trimister no issues and its upto me to take or not to take) and i took it until 26w. recently i read somewhere that taking baby aspirin in 3rd trimister is not good for baby so i stopped it immediately since it was not mandatory for me to take it anyways

6. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Perhaps your doctor has a strong reason to ask you to keep taking aspirin. You must make sure you understand why aspirin is needed in your case. Aspirin is classified as a class C drug for pregnancy by the US FDA, meaning there have been studies that show severe teratogenic effects on the embryo. The main ingredient in aspirin is salicylic acid, which is also present in many creams, soaps and shampoos. It is advisable to avoid any product with salicylic acid while pregnant. It has been shown to cause malformations in the fetus which could be as severe as heart or lung deformations, or cause bleeding and placental abruption later in the pregnancy.

Aspirin is completely banned during pregnancy unless the benefits to the mother's life are greater than the risk to the fetus. Please raise your concerns with your doctor. Make sure you know why it has been advised in your case and how it could affect your baby.

7. gurpreetsingh

gurpreetsingh Gold IL'ite

Doc told that i might have blood clot issues and advised to take aspirin 75 mg. I am going to go for seconday consulting today . I was little scared yest seeing that it is banned in US. But if i do a second consulting I might get some idea.
    I do believe my doc. But if i read something over internet , i get suspicious and I want a healthy baby as all gals aspire ..
    Let me update once i go to another doc for consulting today

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  8. harinideep

harinideep Gold IL'ite

Hi ,
    Thank you all for your responses.
    My doc said that I might have blood clotting and that she advises if there is a risk of miscarriage
    She has prescribed aspirin 75 mg for me . Today I am going to another doctor for consulting as I want to be pretty sure that this aspirin 75 mg would not cause any harm to baby .
    I will update you today evening once I consult the new doctor

1 person likes this.
  9. learnuser123

learnuser123 Senior IL'ite

I hope it is baby aspirin.....I am pregnant through IVF and in first trimester now ....doc prescribed baby aspirin along with some other medications.
    my gynac told many people take it till their delivery but since I don't need after 10 weeks it is up to me to continue or not.....
    What I heard from my doc is it is safe through entire pregnancy ...I advice you to ask your dr whether it is really needed for you in entire preg because if you don't need it why unnecessarily take it....

10. augustmom

augustmom Senior IL'ite

Harinideep..If you have a blood clotting issue, ask the doctor if baby aspirin is enough. I took heparin shots for the whole of my pregnancy yet there was a clot found but luckily this time around the placenta. My previous losses were due to clot forming in the umbilical cord thus preventing blood supply to the baby. Ask the doctor everything . Heparin is ok. Don't know about baby aspirin.