1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

HypoThyroid Problem

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Roo, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Roo

Roo New IL'ite

Hi IL,

I'm married and 27. I have hypothyroid, taking levothroid(25mcg) tablet everyday from 2 months. I have a 3 1/2 yr old daughter. I'm planning for a second baby. My question is:
    Is thyroid problem is common ?
    Will there be any effect of my condition on the baby ?
    Will there be any complication during pregnancy ? and
    I read in previous posts that people with thyroid problem have to take tablets life long. Is this true ? Does Yoga helps ?

Any suggestions please...

2. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Even I have hypo thyroid from past 6 years.
    I am taking synthroid. There is no problem with pregnancy and to concieve also, if your thyroid is under control.
    There won't be any harm to child also, for my second pregnancy I had already thyroid problem. Yes, people has to take medication for life long.
    It is better to keep the dosage at minimal level, but doing exercise, taking medication properly and keeping your mental, stress under control.
    But make sure you do exercise everyday and keep your metabolism high else you will put on weight and this might cause other problems.

Take care,
    Punitha

3. Roo

Roo New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply Puneeta.
    You are right, I've put on some weight from last 2 months.
    I'm a full time working woman, its really hard to get any time for the exercise. But now onwards I try keep some time for the exersice.What kind of exersices are helpful ? Please suggest any exersices.

Roo

4. puni88

puni88 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hello,
    Some aerobics excercise will really help like jogging, brisk walking, cycling etc. You can do little bit of weight lifting too for your upper body.

Good luck.
    Punitha

5. Amicable

Amicable Senior IL'ite

Hi Roo...I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid two years back, and I was on synthorid medication also. But after few months later I checked it, I didn't have thyroid problem anymore. So my doctor stoped my medicine. And I still don't have thyroid problem. I won't suggest you to stop the medicine without checking with your doctor though. My doctor told me it won't effect on the pregnancy and there are no complications during pregnancy, if you are taking the medicine. Take care.

6. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

may I know the symtoms of thypothyroid.....is frequent periods a noteworthy symptom?

7. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Shravanthika,

I like your name.It sounds very good when pronounced.

Now to your question abt the symptoms,from my experience i started to have irregular periods initially like i didnot get my periods for ard 45 days(though i didnot try for a baby at that time) and went to the family dr.and she gave me some hormonal tblts and i got it within a week.This happened for 2 or 3 times in a row and finally i didnot get it for almost 60 days and only then she checked out my thyroid levels(TSH and T4) and found out that i m having hypothroidism.Since then i m on Thyroxine(thyroid supplement) for past 6 yrs and it is under great control.

Doctors do believe that uncontrolled thyroidism might lead to Infertility.I was so scared on that part but i got conceived while on medication and delivered a healthy baby boy .

Hope this gives u some idea abt hypothyroidism.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2008
  8. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

Thanx selvi for the detailed info based on your personal experience.
    I actually posted it becos one of my cousins who is yet to be married is getting frequent periods lately like once in 15days and she is scared to go to the doc...But I have atlast convinced her to go to a gynec and out of curiosity I posted my query...

Her symptoms are exactly opposite to urs and hope the gynec would untie the real truth....

Thanx for the compliiments reg the name..............

9. selviik

selviik Senior IL'ite

Shravanthika,

U r very :welcome.

Firstofall get your cousin checked with the dr immediately and rule out the abnormality b4 it gets worse.