1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hypocrite In Law

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nayidulhan, Feb 10, 2019.

1. nayidulhan

nayidulhan Silver IL'ite

How does one deal with an In law who is sometimes sweet and caring to the face but who gives signs of insecurity by means of sharp innuendos and hurtful comments disguised as jokes? How does one deal with an In law who backbites my family... sometimes even to the point of creating stories and passing them off as secrets my family is not sharing with the world? How does one deal with an In law who pretends to be innocent when confronted? This In law is a necessary evil in my life because I cannot cut off my contact or communication with this In law as she is a part of my immediate family. Please guide me.

2. NaiveLady

NaiveLady Senior IL'ite

Hi, sorry you have been dealing with this. I hope you take some comfort in knowing that you are definitely not alone in regards to your situation. Yes, this sort of drama is a real pain to deal with. Maybe in private, you can try asking your in-law (I'm guessing your MIL since you mentioned 'she') what issues she has given her hurtful comments and tell her what efforts you have been trying to do in order to keep the peace? Also, try requesting that she not go around telling private family matters since in the end, it will just make her look bad, after all, your family is also her family and vice versa! How would she feel if her personal matters were discussed with the rest of the world - not good, probably. Maybe that will bring her back to her senses.

I had to chuckle for a bit at the "necessarily evil" part as I was imagining her being some kind of rakshasi (female demoness), but I realize this is not a funny situation to be in but a very real struggle. Is there anyone else in the family whom you feel comfortable to confide in privately to try and reason with her (ideally, someone who is close with both you and her)? Any other relatives to draw support from (without going into details about her and her behavior, but just in general terms)? Maybe if you have a married sister/sister-in-law/co-sister/other female married cousin, they can relate to and understand how to deal with this type of situation?

Good luck and hope things improve here onwards.