1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hyperactive Child

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by cuetypiein, Jun 11, 2007.

1. kavya007

kavya007 Gold IL'ite

Re: hyperactive kid

Hi Tikka,

During the first year my son had both "girl" and "boy" toys a lot. Somehow he gravitated towards cars and balls. He never touched dolls or stuffed animals. I even tried giving him my kitchen utensils but he never enjoyed playing with them. He did not take much interest in art work. I don't know what specifically interests him in cars and trains. Whenever we are driving on the highway my son is so fascinated with all the cars and trucks that he can see. His mind is only full of cars and trains. Even during his sleep he talks about cars and trucks !!!! Most of my friend's sons are also the same way !!! I have no idea how these preferences set in at such a young age.

Thanks,
    Kavya.

2. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

dear all
    i got two kids and both sons, and my doctor told "u'll age fast"bonk
    and it was not a joke, and u all know why it is not. both make me and my DH mad, though the age difference is six yrs. and i who have been brought up with boys , used to think that i know them, but now i am having doubts. they ned attention in work and independence during plytime...its like having no duties, only rights.
    hope to use all the suggestions here.
    thanx

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Aruna,

Removing from the scene has saved my sanity in shops, for sure. I tried many ways- bribing, shouting, not taking him at all to shop but as a last resort i tried this option. The last time it happened at the library. He screamed and i just took him back home. I didn't speak with him on the way. When I cooled down (and he too) i told him he was being a nuisance and he had to tell me what bothered him instead of shouting and screaming. I also stressed that we would have to return home if he ever shouted again outside. It worked.

Ofcourse, as Kritika says, we need lots of patience. Many times I am trying to run many errands and he can be a bottle neck. But at one point I realised helping him out of this screaming, 'i'll run wherever i want' mode was important for me to run my routine. So i juggled my time accordingly.

at home too if he screams or throws toys we remove the object and ignore him. We're still not there but i can see that he's getting the message. I always tell him that it's fine to get upset and angry but screaming wasn't the solution. He must talk to us what was bothering him so that we could help him. And I feel that's the attitude he must carry forward through his growing up phase.

Latha

4. pratapa

pratapa New IL'ite

Kids are kids lol just enjoy watching them do all these hyperactive things:)

5. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

Today i got a message from the School, saying my son hit another girl who is in 3rd std., my son in 1st StdRant
    I was embarrased, and asked my son the reason. He didn't open his mouth :-(. So the other parent took advantage of the situation and me :hide: I apologized and came off. After coming come he says that girl has taken his chocolate so he hit her.
    The problem with my son - very rarely he tells me what happened at school. His class teacher says he is not talking much to her. He gets excited when relatives come home, when we got out for shopping. I thought this behavior would subside as he grow but in vain.

So moms, pls help me. He takes Bread & Jam to school for BF and 1 chocolate for Lunch. Will this be a reson:confused2:

Regards

Rani

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Well there you have the reason... he reacted to a bully! It depends on how he was asked to explain in front of the girl, her mom and a teacher that's why he must not have responded. The next time tell your boy that if someone snatches something from him, he must first ask for them to give it back to him and if not complain to the teacher. I think he just acted on impulse. And also he must have seen other children reacting this way in a similar situation.

How long has he been in this school? And how is the teacher? Like is she kind when she talks to the children or sort of authoritative. May be he's just shy talking to her. My son too doesn't tell everyday what happens at school... i am still learning to frame the questions that'd bring out an answer.

On the food, yes if i were you i wouldn't send chocolate to school. It is tempting for other children and yes it does give a high:) Bread and jam doesn't seem a trouble though.

Latha

7. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Hi Latha,

Thanks for the suggestions. He is new to the school and going to complete 2nd term.

His teacher seems to be very authoritative, to be frank he doesn't like her. But i keep telling him how important it is to tell his class Teacher, if someone hits/snatches things. My words are going to air. Wondering how shyness prompts here only..

8. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

I think he just doesn't connect to a strict teacher. I wonder why in our country teachers of lower classes are not taught to be approachable. He'll definitely not tell her if she's not the attentive type. I think he'll learn... don't worry. If he has already made friends then may be you can tell him to take his friend's help.

Latha

9. marrgg

marrgg Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Latha - When i was discussing about this to my DH, he says it might be because of Language problem. Though my DS talks/responds well in English, i think still he is struggling to express his feelings/views in school. So need to concentrate on this.

Rani

10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Rani,

That is also a possibility that i failed to think of. My 3.5 yr old son was very moody and nasty when we put him in a German nursery last year. He was alone and never played with any children for about a month. But his teachers there were very nice and helpful and they never made him feel low. Very quickly, with their help, he also learnt the languages. And now since October he is in an english pre-school. The same problem again. Even though we speak english at home, he knows all alphabets, colours etc., and perfectly understands too, he was thinking in German. But now again he is talking a lot in english, german with his friends and follows tamil at home. I feel that in a way we are lucky here. The teachers have embraced him for what he is and have never made me feel agitated as well.

BTW, what is your mother tongue? Don't worry.. children are like sponge. We always underestimate their capabilities (that is called anxiety and worry in our language) but before you know he'll be fine.

Latha