1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Husband habit of drinking - good / bad

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sheebros, Dec 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

Re: Husband habit of drinking -good / bad

SriVidya, please dont be judgmental just because it doesn't conform to your views

What will the wife do after trying umpteen number of times to get him to quit. Divorce him?All she can do - try, its ultimately upto hubby to to act on it. Here I am talking about men who are totally in control and know what they are doing. Not talking about those alcoholics, whose drinking habit is affecting his and his family's life.

Its always a big deal. Even if they are not exposed to alcohol, its parents responsibility to educate their child about the right choices and right decision especially something potentially dangerous like drinking. Just like you would for driving. Its not enough to get them the license, you would probably also tell them the dangers on the road, how attentive & careful they need to be et al. Instilling good sense in the child helps so that he can make the decisions for himself. Parents are not with older kids 24/7 so how they behave depends on how sensibly they think. How they act is not in parents hand. THis is probably applicable to all aspects of life.

That was a joke. Everyone knows any percentage of alcohol is alcohol!

Dont jump guns here. My DH could handle alot more when he was in his grad school than he can now. His body cant handle all that much now, so he listened & has cut it down to what he is ok with. No he is not alcoholic. He knows wht and how much he can handle.

Totally your decision and I would respect that if I were coming to your house. Anyone should.

Very unacceptable!!! I would hold hosts responsible for being so callous to serve drinks in kids party!

Unfortunate incident!. My opinion is that host is totally responsible for maintaining decorum at his party and not get sloshed. THis is very sad. These were no way moderate drinker. My definition of moderate drinkers are those who one or two drinks, as much as they handle to just chill out and relax. Its not those who drink on occasions to get sloshed and create a scene. These would be your drunkard!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Very well-written , Sri!

True that people who drink loose their common sense and behave inappropriately.Another thing I hate about the people who drink is when they "drive" after drinking.Particularly in India, these people not only put their life in danger but also the other innocent people on road.

Looking at this thread I just cannot understand one thing.All of us are brought up saying drinking is bad.I still do not go near a person who is drunk.But I see quiet a handful over here claiming it is not bad.What a change!:cheers.I am just wondering what could be next!

3. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

TC

I have said this to Rakhii also...just like you guys I also have an opinion...I am also an adult..I have my learnings and experiences based on which I will frame my opinion.

We are talking about men in general and their drinking habit...and when couple of women say they also drink, I am talking about people who drink...then why take things personal??? this thread is aobut drinking and people who drink and we all are participating and discussing our side of the story and opinions and you also chose to participate......so the moment you are out of answers if you jsut throw this word "judgemental" at me!! I am clueless how to answer that!!

We are having discussion here...so lets try to present diffrent thoughts and opinions, rather than just beating someone down and saying ohhh no one is asking/forcing you to drink or that someone is prejudiced or judgemental etc...

Dont get defensive abut all this...we all are what we are!! If I dont drink that doesnt make me a saint.and if you are drinking that doesnt make you a sinner. WE are what we are!! we have the right to choose what we want to do ... but we dont have the right to say how someones family is supposed to be....just based on what worked for us!!!

Only thing that I dont like is..when someone says ohhh kids should be given exposure, education and there is nothing wrong etc..etc....so if that suits that someone !! be my guest..please go ahead and implement it in your family and when someone asks a parenting advice, do give that.... am sure every parent chooses the best for their kid. so you choose what is best as per you, and let others choose what is best for their family...(this is what i have been saying since the begining of this post..and seems like people are bent upon saying it is their way or high way, If I dont implement your way of doing things that doesnt make me judgemental or conservative...it just makes me different...I never even said your way of doing is wrong / bad...but I see that you always sayyy ohh if you do your way you would end up doing wrong!! I guess just like you everyone knows what they want to do and whats best for their family...so let everyone have their own way of doing things rather than saying my way is right way!!)

PS: The puking incident I explained happened to coincide with what you shared..but the thing that I hadd in mind was different ...specially after those sploppy parties guys who cant control their drinking and how much they can handle end up puking....I was not referring to your husband..and I didnt jump any guns any where...

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Against my better judgment, I am going to try and explain this one last time. If you still say that your rabbit has 3 legs, then I cant help it.

its evident that you have never been in a company of people who act normally after having a drink. YES! getting drunk is different from have a drink. It all depends on how one person handles himself/herself after that drink.

Who is forcing you to go near a drunk? Who is forcing you to drink? Is anyone forcing YOU to pay for others drinks? Why this holier-than-thou attitude?

You have every right to hold your opinion and let me hold mine. Just because you think everyone who drinks as "BAD" doesn't make us bad; just like it doesn't make you holy because you don't drink. Period.

I agree that drinking and driving is a bad choice. Ever heard of designated driver or a cab? If not google it, you will know what I am talking about!

5. Rakhii

Dear SriVidya,
    You have a point dear. I will explain to you what I think in a while. The auditors are right now on my head :hide:.

6. reverie

reverie New IL'ite

Thank You Stuti..Wish you the same...

I try to voice my opinion like the rest...sometimes I cross the line...Since it comes from the heart....hopefully people like Rahkii will understand me for what I am..and what I stand for...

Merry Christmas and a very happy New year to you all...:)

---Hey Reverie Merry Christmas and a very happy New year to you..:) I would love to see the same bold posts from you in 2011 as well :)

Regards
    Stuti

7. TimidlyConfidnt

TimidlyConfidnt Gold IL'ite

Your previous post did come across as judgmental hence the word.

I didnt anywhere say my way or highway. I was just putting my point of view, not forcing it on you. You seem to be baffled by it.

I agree, lets leave it at that.

8. bhuvnidhi

bhuvnidhi IL Hall of Fame

Well this holds good for people who still claim that drinking is not bad.Got the right proverb at the right time:thumbsup.

You are absolutely right!BTW, I have seen so many people in my 30+ years.Yet to find one who is in sense after boozing.

You got personal didn't you?And that is your choice:thumbsup.

9. indianguy2010

indianguy2010 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Srividya,

I am shocked to learn that your husband's friends drink and drive. It is one of the worst thing any one can do. Because, alcohol will , certainly cause slowness of judgement and blunting of reflexes. If a small buffalo crosses the road, the normal person will sense it immediately and apply brakes. But a person who has taken alcohol, even if it is only two pegs (the so-called moderate amount), will have a slow mental process. What will happen in a normal person's mind within one second, will go on for more then five seconds in a person who has consumed alcohol.

By reflex I mean, the capacity to apply brakes in the shortest possible time. This reflex action will be slowed due to alcohol. Dangerously, the men (and women) who drink and drive will go to any irrational extent in denying this scientific reality.

The only one thing I can say is............Srividya..........if you , your man, your kids are ever in a compulsion to sit and go in a car, which is driven by a person who has consumed alcohol, please get down ...........take an auto or cab and then go home.

For your information, I myself am an (occasional) alcoholic.

10. Rakhii

Please see my post in blue above.

Where did you read that I said what I am doing in 100% right and that you are wrong? Can you please pin-point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.