Husband diagnosed with Balanced Translocation - Genetic defect

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by MOM 2 BE, Jun 13, 2012.

1. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Hi,

I have had 2 miscarriages back to back. After the 2nd one, my OB/GYN referred me to a Reproductive Endochronologist ( Infertility Doctor ). He ran a panel of blood tests over me and my husband. All my blood work has come back normal but there seems to be a genetic problem in my husbands choromosome analysis. He is diagnosed with Balanced Reciprocal Translocation between chromosomes 4 and 18. This was observed in all the metaphases.

So my Infertility doctor said that I do not need his further help since I am all fit and that we must go meet a Genetic doctor to discuss my husbands case and check our risks of getting pregnant.

He also said that If we get pregnant again it may end in a miscarriage again. Or even if i carry to term its possible for the baby to be born abnormally.

He mentioned IVF as another option but he does not guarantee a healthy baby with this method as well.

Has anbody faced or heard of such situations ? Do you know if there is something that can be done to have a healthy child ?

Thanks

2. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Hi MOM 2 BE

I am very sorry to hear about this. Infact this is the first time i am hearing about balanced reciprocal translocation and googled it to get more info. I understand there is also an unbalanced reciprocal translation, where the chances of baby being born abnormally is more.

Do you have genetic counselling at your hospital? Do enquire and find out as they might be able to provide useful information. Lets see if other ILs have more to add on this topic.

3. MOM 2 BE

MOM 2 BE Senior IL'ite

Hi Chandrika,

Thanks for your reply. Yes we met the Geneticist and she guided us theoritically. But all of what she said made sense. So it was a huge relief. Now all is left to god and hope he blesses us soon.

Thank You.

1 person likes this.
  4. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Wish you all the best for healthy, happy baby very soon.

5. hannah80

hannah80 New IL'ite

Hi how are you MOM TO BE? Hope you are fine. So what have you done since your husband had BT? Did you go for IVF...I wish you all the best! Have you heard of PGM ? why don't you try that with IVF