1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Husband Belly Fat...help!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by anika987, Oct 1, 2018.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I am very much into fitness and I have learnt that exercise,strength training and diet go hand in hand.
    Infact 80% is diet and 20% is exercise..
    so that quite makes me relaxed but not yet:(

Husband leaves early and returns back late.He has no time to workout neither is he interested.One cannot force someone to workout so that leaves me with working with his diet..

I dont need a six packs or toned bodyf or him but that belly fat is a lot..
    Infact I pack his breakfast and lunch and I get too tired with my hardwork and no results..

He prefers rice but I kind of cajoled and giving him roti 3 times a week max..
    he loves noodles and if i do not get it..he gets it.
    He prefers south indian food and his rice quanity is quite more than he shoudl consume..
    he eats late

Infact going a bit low carb and high on protein will help but he isnt interested.

Ok I know it is very very tough to help me with this but is there any way out and reduce his belly..
    any indian diet charts which helped?

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

What is his height, weight, BMI ? How old ?
    Family history of diabetes, high BP ?
    Anyone in his family suffer debilitating long term side effects ? (this is usually a good scare to induce better behavior in the next gen.)

You have a two step problem: (1) dH has to recognize the need for diet/exercise (2) deal with it through diet/exercise

It is best for the wife not to nag him about it. A third party advice would work best to get over the first hurdle. The doctor at the annual physical exam is the usual person who does this. For some, there is help at work place. Same age friends with similar problem might get together to go to gym or play some sports on a regular basis. And then there is the work spouse. No matter how it happens, it has got to come mostly from a 3rd party.
    good luck.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    Rakhii, shravs3, MalStrom and 2 others like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

He is 42 and 5.11 in height..
    I have tried so hard and persuaded him and made him Join gym or so walking..

All only for two days..
    :(

So I thought I will make do with diet
    But he wants rice everyday

Amulet likes this.
  4. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Tall boy! he could/should carry a pear shape well enough!

However, (like ...you could only get the horse to the water and not make him drink ) the problem you have has nothing to do with diet.

Should a fitness-freak-spouse harangue a couch potato spouse to get fit ? <== lots and lots of things have been written on the subject. Google "couch potato spouse" and be surprised/delighted/depressed at what you see.

The poor thing (dH) is a sentient being; be kind, and use means that are gentle. Spouses that harangued a lot may find their husbands spending time with Nick, the neighborhood bartender. Big companies set up lounges, snack bars, vending machines, so that employees can stay in a safe place and go home when they feel comfortable -- to avoid a traffic jam, or to avoid a less sleepy spouse.

anika987 likes this.
  5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I agree with Amulet. In this situation the change has to come from within. For me it was a wake-up call from my physician telling me that my HbA1c was veering dangerously into the diabetic zone. That scared the living daylights out of me and a low-carb diet has made a lot of difference.
    You can continue to provide healthy food, and encourage your husband to get a physical. Maybe the results will inspire him to make a change. But beyond that, frustrating as it is you should let him come to his own realization. He works hard, is tired and wants to eat something tasty at the end of the day. It is hard to swap out regular rice for alternatives like cauliflower rice but see if you can start with one day a week of healthier alternatives and slowly increase over time.

anika987 and Amulet like this.
  6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@anika987 my dh has and had the same issues,added to it his eating outsourced food for long took its t0ll,with a highly stressful desk job. he is almost 6ft.

what worked, no nagging, just sneaking in salads, heavy breakfast, lighter dinner, lesser coffee and also sending buttermilk or juice making him consciously reduce the number of coffee..(he was drinking a lot of it, now restricted to less.)

since i have issues, he is scared of allowing me to walk in parks alone, so he accompanies me to the park. make walking or some form of exercise as a way of life in the weekend. make it about the us time.

a regular health check ups, and a couple of sudden deaths in his peer group helped as a wake up call.

Instead of nagging, and pushing them away from working, or really take care of their health, work around the issue. the queries, the pats on weight loss that comes from outside will boosst and keep him going...Exercising and feeling good about it, keeps them at it even if there are a few miss and hits, once they are hooked on..

anika987 and Gauri03 like this.
  7. peet1983

peet1983 Silver IL'ite

From my exp, people start doing exercise when they felt it their own,we cant force anyone. My case was like , i never bothered about stomach or belly fat , though I'm lean ,till I came to know my cholesterol shoot up to 290 mark. Then the spark has came, started with walking and small rounds of runs etc etc.. also strict diet like oats in morning, sacks salads, little rice and more leafy lunch, and dinner with chappathi and some veg curries. I can say my cholesterol came down to 200 mark in 45 days and reduced good amount of fats from stomach and belly. I heard that belly fat will be the last and toughest one to reduce.
    I regularly takes some stomach selfies every week to see progress and whic really motivating to go further.

anika987 and Amulet like this.
  8. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Yes. Charting the progress in any project is a good incentive to push forward with the program. For those who are on weight loss journey, it is important to stand on the weighing scale everyday, and put the number on a graph, and reflect on what happened over the last 24 hours and over the last one week.
    Good work... best wishes.

anika987 and peet1983 like this.
  9. sherinl

sherinl Junior IL'ite

South Indian Breakfasts commons include Idlies and Dosa, even Kitchadi ... have you tried swapping the regular ones for Dal based ones instead? Pessarattu, Adai, even dal based kuzhipaniyaram like that? Toss in some onions n stuff and you will have tasty variants all with predominantly dal or only dal ... a good way to add more proteins in the morning ... remember dals hav carbs too so you're not skipping this key nutrient.

Have you tried swapping rice for small millets? Not too much difference in taste ... try doing that for one meal a day ... you will only one more meal left ... add more of veggies at night so the rice reqd. will be lesser ... and greens during the day ....

Sprinkle raw garlic to a meal ... or give a mxture of Ginger, Honey, Lime and Cinnamon in the morning ... like that ... along with a dash of Turmeric ... these help ... Make one day cheat day where he can probably have his favourite - in this case noodles ... these simple changes go a long way ...

Absolutely no sugar - white sugar .... jaggery, honey or even stevia leaves are OK to sweeten here and there .. but no white sugar ... Hope these tips help ...

anika987 and shravs3 like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Oh I’m in the same boat! I already created similar thread earlier.
    Seriously nagging dint help either.
    But suddenly he realised that at any cost weight reduction is needed. So we started complete Keto diet for more than a month.
    But again carb cravings started so started going to restaurants and slowly came out of keto diet.
    Now planning to start again.
    I feel it’s really difficult for us to follow this keto for long time being vegetarians.
    And some say keto is not good in long run so skeptical to try again..
    I’m in dire need for diet chart !!

anika987 likes this.