1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Hunger strike

Discussion in 'Infants' started by mkclg, Oct 16, 2008.

1. mkclg

mkclg New IL'ite

Dear Moms,

Since last 1 week Micky is not having sound sleep in the night otherwise he sleeps around 6 -7 hrs in the night at a stretch but these days he wakes up many times,rolls over the bed & cries & again gets to sleep in 5-10 mins.I thought may hes getting his 1st tooth,afterall hes into his 13th month now.But fo last 3 days,he seems to b on hunget strike ,I never faced any problem with his feedings so far.He loves khichdi ,halwa,upma made for him but these days whatever i cook fir him,he just takes 2-3 bites then does not open his mouth & tries to push the bowl away with his hand.I dnt know whats goin on with him.He generally takes 7-8 oz of formula by 10 am but nowadays it has reduced to 4 oz approx..He tummy is also seems tight/hard,passing motions normally 2-3 times a day but refusing everything.Since yesterday ,he has been suffering from cold & runny nose bt before that also he was not very hungry.
    What should I do?Is this all due to teething phase(i dnt know if hes teething).Do i need to worry or he will be alright in a couple of days.
    Help me.
    Monica

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Typically, K drops the amount he eats when he teeths. He also gets a stuffed nose and slightly watery BMs. So it could be just teething. Have you tried running a finger over his gumline, there is no way you will miss a teeth and there is no way he will miss this opportunity to bite on your finger, so be careful LOL.

3. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

Teething cause motions but doesn't know if it really matters for running nose.
    I guess he may have some colicky or gastric pain in stomoch. Or due to some suffocation in your room he maynot be able to sleep. Try out othr possibilities.

4. SukiKumaran

SukiKumaran Senior IL'ite

Dear Moms,
    Sorry for a very long post.
    My daughter is 11 months and 3 weeks old.

She was a reflux and colicky baby, introduced baby food by her 5th month and idli and rice slowly aafter 7 mnths. Her intake was good.Doesn't eat sweets, chocolates. But likes hot and a bit spicy food. Hvn't tried NV until now. Doesn't take finger foods.

But from the beginning i had to struggle a lot to feed her any liquid. I tried different ways but failed in all attempts.When i was in India she had juices a bit but here nothing.

How can i make her drink liquids.

Her solid intake is baby foods,sathu mavu, rice, dal, rasam, idli, dosa(with
    our regular curry,sambar or chutney)carrot purees, mashed banana.

Even now i feed water with a spoon and only 5 to 6 spoons. Feeding milk is a very big problem. There is a spoon attachement in the bottles to feed cerelac. Only that is the source to feed milk for her. only 90-100 ml twice daily and that too after great struggle. :ideaNo formulas. Only liquid baby milk here. In India her pead suggested not to gv cows milk until she is 1yr.

I was in India until September and now in Germany. Planned for a long stay here but mainly for my daugher returning back to India in November.

Another main problem is, she will not sleep at a stretch at night. will wake for every 2-3 hrs and sometimes will go to sleep again soon or sometimes after hrs. but her sound sleep is usually after 4 am. my sleeping schedule is only after that. Sometimes sleeps after vomitting with an empty stomach.She sleeps only at nights . Her daytime naps are rare. 2 hrs somedays. If she naps or not her sleeping schedule is anytime between 11pm to 2 am. Even though she is sleepy she will not. Will hv to play Thalattu songs or sing and after 15-30 mts will succeed in making her sleep. Even though she is sleeping i should be near her all time. On average she vommits 4 days a week. After returning to India only i can consult a doctor.

Facing problems with her solid feedings now. Wants to play a lot without food and sleep. She hasn't got a teeth yet. but there were all signs of teething by her 5 month itself. She has started walking for a week now, other than her sleep and food her activities are good. loves going out. seeing people.

And one more thing i wanted to know, how u all manage ur housework with kids. Bcos for me eventhough she is sleeping i should be near her. How to make her sleep alone in the same room but not beside me. B'cos i hv to be very cautious if she comes near me too close and i hv to sleep in a same position which is too painful somedays.

After a yr i joined my husband here but not able to spend even 5 mts for a short chat atleast.

And one more doubt reg bottled baby foods:
    i bought spinach and noodles mix. For her age the availability was in 250 mg. But she is not able to take much. Only 5-6 spoons. can i reuse it. if so how to store it.
    Please help me with ur valued suggestions.

I hv gone thro' most of infants threads. But i need suggestions for my baby.
    Sorry for a very long post. I want to get answers for which i was not able to find for months and also which i was not able to share with anyone.

Please help
    -Suki

Last edited: Oct 21, 2008
  5. SukiKumaran

Sorry Monica I cannt gv u any suggestions. because i am too like u trying to get a lot of suggestions from other moms.

I was about to start a new thread. But then thought this thread would be the suitable for my questions.

Thanks
    -Suki

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Hi Suki, the one thing that stands out for me is her reflux and colic. Has she been tested for food allergies, espeically dairy allergy. Is the baby milk that she has dairy free. I would suggest have that checked out asap. The grazing throughout the day without eating full meals, the bad sleep, the reflux - how many times did I change his shirt in the first few months, I forget - all suggest to me milk allergies.
    K was not diagnosed in the first year and he would not take any solids till 7.5 months (not a drop.) Even after then it was like one tbsp. While only on breastmilk, he gained beautifully, then between 7 and 14 months. At 18 months we stopped obvious dairy and as of 20 months he has been dairy free, his sleep, eating, his behaviour everything improved tremendously.
    With allergies, the gut cells get irritated everytime it is exposed to the allergen, there is gas build up, spasm, malabsorption, frequent diarrhoea. Completely cutting off allergens for a while will help the gut recover and help the LO slowly outgrow her allergy (as is happening in our case).
    We noted allergic reactions to egg white, milk and milk products, soy, chocolate. After staying off of egg for a year, he can now have it without any problem. Keep a food dairy to see if your child responds poorly to any of the food you are introducing. Eliminate it, talk with your doctor for an alternate diet. Before you know your LO would have recovered.

7. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hey Suki, have you tried sippy cups yet? I let our daughter play with it when she was 5 months old, and now she's very comfortable with drinking water out of it.

About sleep issues, there have been a ton of discussions on this forum about it. I think most of us moms have gone through or are still going through sleep issues with babies and we have talked about it in detail here. Do go to the alphabetical list and click on the sleep links.

Why do you want to wait to see a doctor until you are in India if she's vomiting that frequently? If she doesn't take liquids as well, she maybe getting dehydrated, which could be causing a whole lot of other problems.

Try putting her to sleep in a crib, or you can get extension beds for co-sleeping that attach to the bed. Something like this.

If you are feeding the baby right out of the jar, the saliva can cause bacteria to grow. So the best thing to do would be to take a couple tablespoons out on a plate and store the jar back in the refrigerator. Also, check the label to see how long you can store the baby food even in the refrigerator after it has been opened.

Raj

8. SukiKumaran

Hi Raj,Thanks for ur suggestions.
    i hv tried sippy cups, direct from a glass, bottles, spoons. but nothing will work. whatever i gv her, she will just use it as teether, just a sip as soon as she gets then play for a while and leave it.

Reg dehydration: Thank god she was good even in worst cases in earlier months,

I have a crib but she will not sleep in that. only one hr max. after 5th month itself she will sleep only in bed and that follows till now. she wants to sleep on my lap or on the shoulders. but i will go through the sleep issus threads and follow the suggestions.

Reg Bottle foods, i hv taken only few spoons and stored the rest. so no prob in that. i'll check the label and use accordingly.

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Suki, there is one more thing you can do, if you are not already doing it is add probiotics like this or this into her diet regularly. It will help restore the gut flora balance quickly.

10. SukiKumaran

Hi Tikka, thanks for ur reply.
    I know how the initial months will be. bcos she was the one in our family and among the relatives and friends and neighbours.But now i'm knowing from IL that many kids hv suffered . And i had to go thro all this without any support during nights. Even my husband hasnt seen her. he has just known from me. but when he is seeing now in a better situation than b4 he is feeling bad.

She has not been tested for dairy allergies. i was not adviced abt that earlier. so i will do it now.
    she doesn't take any sweets or chocolates. only one or two spoons sugar in her milk. i still gv her only egg yolk. i didnt find any allergies.
    I dont find any allergies in other foods so i'll check for the dairy and take the necessary action

Suki