1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Humour Sanskrit, Dad, & Mom And School Last Bench

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Thanks for being honest about what you feel and felt about Sanskrit as a language.
    god for sure Ganesh would lend helping hand always in your endeavour as you always approach him with good for all and all for good. He will never be sceptical about your sincerity!
    2. I do agree that many chant not only Sanskrit slokas but in other languages like kannada telugu Malayalam Marathi and hindhi.. But with Google uncle there to help, it would be one click away for knowing the meaning of the sloka in anylanguage that is close to your heart and the pleasure of chanting knowing the meaning adds to chanting pleasure. it may even break the monotony if slokas uttered mechanically.
    3. yes now a days students are able to score even 100 % in languages such as French, Hindhi, Sanskrit etc., when studied under the third language option thanks to liberal assessment.
    4. Even the basic prayer to Lord Ganesh "suklambharatharam.........." consists of His description His attire etc is easy to visualise while chanting if once attempt made to know the meaning.
    Anyway as a student sitting in last bench as per alphabetical order I was comfortable with Sanskrit till I finished with schooling thanks to teacher Thiruvazhai ayyangar.
    Regards.
    God Bless.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  2. Thyagarajan

:hello:Well said sister @sindmani
    There are couple of prominent publishing houses have come out with management lessons from not only epic Mahabharata but also from lots of Sanskrit stories.
    I am glad you had almost agreed to what I intended at the concluding portion of my post.
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless.

sindmani likes this.
  3. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

quite a big deal of info about sanskrit &sanskrit learning.

Now I 'm learning sanskrit through NON FORMAL SANSKRIT COURSE conducted by ministry of human resources development in various places through out the country.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  4. Thyagarajan

:hello:You have expressed your enjoying reading my post. Thanks.
    In college, one is treated more of a gentleman and none would insist in a particular manner for sitting or at tiring! No such recitation of poems even in other languages. Once in a while if the student seemed to be sleepy or enjoying his or her slumber, some lecturer or professor would dare to disturb him and ask for some definition. In college it appears to be normal that some professors who had very poor estimate about few students delight them with super performance and some students exceptionally good Always In College exams performs miserably in final degree or university exams. I had given shock to the entire class and faculty of physics by securing first class and stood in front of them apologetically.
    2. Last benchers considered as drag inthe classrooms but in practical life many last benchers in school and college have done reasonably well and some even become bench mark leaders of the industry they represent.
    3. The advantage for teacher from front and for the last benchers are many fold.
    Both can observe the emotion quotient of the class, like as to what is popping out from their half trousers, some even stealthily taking out snacks, some trying to eat groundnuts only by chewing, some passing on pea nuts.....etc.,
    Thanks and Regards.
    God Bless.

5. Thyagarajan

:hello:@jayasala42 would be or might be pleased.!
    Thanks
    Regards.
    God Bless.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@Thyagarajan
    I believe you are referring to the Rick Briggs' paper on AI published in 1985 in the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence (AAAI magazine),Titled "Knowledge Representation in Sanskrit and Artificial Intelligence" . Please note that it is a single paper published on that so far.
    What Rick Briggs says is totally different from what has been interpreted.

Below is a quote from that article.
    " This article demonstrates that a natural language can serve as an artificial language also…”

He chose Sanskrit only as a example which is quoted here from his paper.
    "there is a widespread belief that natural languages are unsuitable for the transmission of many ideas that artificial languages can render with great precision and mathematical rigor. But this dichotomy, which has served as a premise underlying much work in the areas of linguistics and artificial intelligence, is a false one. There is at least one language, Sanskrit, which for the duration of almost 1000 years was a living spoken language with a considerable literature of its own. Besides works of literary value, there was a long philosophical and grammatical tradition that has continued to exist with undiminished vigor until the present century. Among the accomplishments of the grammarians can be reckoned a method for paraphrasing Sanskrit in a manner that is identical not only in essence but in form with current work in Artificial Intelligence."

I checked the NASA website to find out if this is mentioned anywhere. I could not find it.
    NASA is definitely not using Sanskrit for their programming.

My point is, why does not someone in India, say ISRO, use Sanskirt and develop a program for AI?

Let me stop here.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear KKrish,
    I was expecting someone to give this information.Happy that you have taken the initiative.It is a fact that many aspects have been kept as secrets and no attempt was made to share and spread.Many Ayurvedic and Siddha knowledge was kept between the families as though it was destined to be within precincts of those families only and Alas! we have lost many a treasure in this fashion.What is the use of glorified singing and doing Surya Namaskar after the vision is lost?The tendency of keeping certain things secret is very much there among Indians even now and we experience the after effect!

jayasala42

kkrish, Srama and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thanks for your elaborative response.
    2. I think I should say that I stand corrected. Yes NASA Is not using it for any future or present SO PROG.
    3. OF THE KNOWN languages only Sanskrit seemed to have complete grammar in its kitty and would find its use in future space programme. I am not sure from where I sourced the information recently.
    Thanks once again for your suggestion about ISRO or kindred organisation to develop programme for AI using sanskrit.
    Regards.
    GOD BLESS US all always.

kkrish likes this.
  9. Star25

Star25 Gold IL'ite

Very nice narration sir as ever...you had reminded me of my school days ..I too had Sanskrit as my second language in my XI and XII standards.. Since I knew Hindu it was bit easy for me..i didn't know anything about the language and since many of them said we can score high marks I had to take it..and I am so happy that I got a great score as well still date it has helped me to by heart the mantras. Sometimes our parents decisions are the best for us...

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. Thyagarajan

:hello:glad that you liked the narration. You are right that knowing Hindi did help learning Sanskrit.
    I agree many a times parents decision stood one good in the long run.
    2. In case of wedlock too parents analysed pros and cons for long and the expert astrologer match and find for at least next 40 or 50 years taking into account life span the possible low and highs etc.
    3. But with modern education and economies made parental decision turned complex and that puts young couples in disarray. Mine was arranged and I was lucky with very first bajji-sojii and after that no turning back and till day our sail never felt devoid of wind.
    Regards.
    GOD BLESS US all always.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018