1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Humidifiers

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Mar 16, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear ILites

I might sound silly when I ask this-Pls tell me what a humidifier does?

The doctors say to use this but what does it do exactly.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Dear Sunitha,

A humidifier does exactly what its name suggests, It brings humidity into the room. Most places in the US, have very low humidity and hence the weather is usually hot and dry or cold and dry .
    The humidifiers spray moisture mists into rooms to bring the humdity levels up.
    This is particular useful when we suffer from allergies( nose) and cough and cold, the dry conditions in the room tend to dry out the mucous linings in our nostrils and we suffer. The humidifiers help maintain the moisture in the mucous lining and that actually helps when we are sufering. It really does work. Thats the reason why docs also tell you to run the shower in the bathroom and stand there so that the steam from hot water or the cool spray can go and clear up your nose.

Humidifers are good all year round but especially so in the winter months when we tend to have the heaters running and that drys up the air in the rooms even more.

Hope this helps.

Vandhana

3. Induslady

Induslady Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Sunitha,

Vandhana has given the best information about humidifiers.

I might be late but would just like to add a few lines about my experience...

Humidifiers are a must especially if you have an infant, during the winter season when you have heaters switched on for long. My little one developed cracked skin due to too much dryness. Using a humidifer made it a lot better.

M.

4. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot ,Vandhana and Malathy.

I got a humidifier about 2 mnths back because my son was suffering from cold. I could not see any visible changes in the room or the humidity level and therefore,I felt the need to ask this question.Further,this model has a built-in thermometer like thing which shows the humidity in the room.That always shows the humidity as high.So,I was wondering,why I am using this when the humidity is anyway high:confused: