1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Human Oddities

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by vatsan, Mar 19, 2008.

1. vatsan

vatsan New IL'ite

Ego, false sense of pride, hypocrisy, cheap popularty - these are what most of us suffer from.

VATSAN

2. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Vatsanji,

As I went thru some previous threads, I came across the one on Mr. Warren Buffet,the second richest man in the world........

It comes as a surprise,that the world's second richest man would not have a mobile or a computer,not have a driver for his car,and he still lives in a three bedroom house.......and has not left much wealth for his grand children......

Great!!!!

Secondly,I would like to quote an incident which really shook me,

A few people I knew were returning from a crematorium,

It was a hot day and as they entered their street ,one gentlemen asked water to drink to one of his neighbours standing on the roadside gate.

To this his neighbour refused to give him water saying "you have come back from the cemetry, why don't you go home,bathe and then drink water in your own house"

How is this justifiable, are these customs and rituals more important than a person's thirst, would we not set aside these things to give water to a thirsty man?

One of our acquaintence visited us recently ,I had never met the person before and what he told us shook me ,

He told us that his father died last year and he [friend] refused to perform his father's last rites] he was severely criticised by everyone and even when his wife,mother and family members forced him to perform the rites but he would not budge... then his cousin did the last rites for his father.... the friend called the Eye Donation camp and requested them to perform the operation to remove his father's eyes. He said my father is still alive according to me and so I will not cremate him,but if anybody wants to do it they can.....till date his extended family is not happy with his ideas.....but now his mother and wife understand him

When we asked him what transformed him so much,as he said he would never fail to recite prayers and follow rituals.....he simply said I don't really know but I only think it is fear that makes us do everything we do,but somehow I have reached the stage where I have decided not to fear, what will others say,what will other think etc.

He added one thing that "I think I changed after the Gujarat riots,It was same religion and rituals, for which every one devoted their entire life, that killed so many people",
    "so I thought I should stop ".......

I had no words ,I was dumbstruck...... I still cannot believe that someone like that is amongst us.............

3. vatsan

vatsan New IL'ite

Dear Meera,

It is heartening to know that Warren Buffet, who amassed millions
    in the share market, leads an unostentatious life in a world
    where most people want to flaunt their wealth.

Why blame the man who refused water? If he had offered the drinking
    water, socioety might as well ostracise him. We have to blame the system
    that still perpetuates these obscurantist practices.

The world will be a more religious place if all religions were taken away
    from it.

VATSAN

4. meera2503

meera2503 Senior IL'ite

Vatsanji,

How true but again

this has lots of ifs and buts ,

if only people just paused for a second, gave it a thought .........

but again who and how many would take a step.....