1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

hubbys cousin asking to show my cupboard

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by shrutimanjunath, Aug 27, 2013.

1. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hi,

My hubbys is a very big (joint) heterogeneous family in his village. His cousin always asks me to share my clothes. Which i seriously dont like.
    I want a gud reason to tell her no to asking my clothes.
    We both worked at bangalore.
    when she visits my home she checks my cupboards and my clothes in my absence and when am there at home she tells show me your warddrobe.I hate doing this.
    I want to get rid of this thing once for all.Please share me what you would do in such instance.

Also i got to know that my co sister does this.My cosister in my absense(when im at work), checks my clothes filthily and her daughter uses my cosmetics and bindis. (i however locked my dressing table drawers to avoid this).

The cupboards are shared by me and my hubby and even if i lock it, he unlocks it sometimes to get his clothes and doesnt lock them.

If i tell my DH about these problems, he is very cool on this and says let them look in the cupboard, there is no problem in it.

My DH says If she asks for your clothes, give her she will return u back once she is done. I seriously hate this things from him.:rant

How to tackle these things?

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The best reason is no reason at all. Simply tell the cousin that you do not want to share clothes with anybody. Smile and thank her for her interest in your clothes and offer to go with her when she is shopping for clothes.

For the co-sister, you simply have to get a lock. Arrange for an almirah that is only yours, or some other place where you can keep some or all of your clothes, and keep that under lock and key. If she asks your for the key or clothes, smile and say you don't like to share clothes.

Keep husband out of these problems. If he interferes, ask him whether he would like to share his clothes with your cousin or a co-brother or nephew from your side.

13 people like this.
  3. shrutimanjunath

Awesome reply.. I want to reply the same to my hubby now!!!. Hes a nice person but when it comes to his relatives and all, he steps in with them. :(.

I was just thinking of getting a spl almirah just for myself and lock it when they r here.Thanks a lot fr your reply!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

Tell them on face, that you don't like sharing your clothes with anybody. If that isnt possible, tell them indirectly how you hate one of your cousins who tries to share your clothes. Get an almarah spcly for you and dump your things in it when they are here. When asked, tell them that your so called shameless cousin is visiting you so you locked your things to escape from the cheapos ;-)

3 people like this.
  5. Twinkel

Twinkel Platinum IL'ite

And yes, keep dh out of this. Better you handle these things yourself. Why get hurt or ruin peace at home?

1 person likes this.
  6. shrutimanjunath

Ur right,,, i can definitely do this..

7. silvertulip

silvertulip Platinum IL'ite

Keep ur cupboard locked and say u don't like to share clothes. And keep ur DH out of this drama.

1 person likes this.
  8. satyasrinivas80

satyasrinivas80 Silver IL'ite

I agree with Riahana! You need your own almirah so that you can lock it. My cousins and My PILS and the relatives also go through my stuff when I visit them but none of them are of my size but asks for sarees to share and I clearly say NO.

Few years back I went to India and my dh was planned to come there after 2 weeks. During these two weeks period, my sister came to my place and wore my night dress. My husband was so furious that he called me immediately and said I don't like/want to see any other person wearing your clothes. Please tell this to your sis otherwise I will do that. That's the first and last time after my marriage my sister wore my clothes again.

9. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Tell them you have extra sensitive nose and can't stand the smell of other people on the clothes....that will shut them up
    lol :)

6 people like this.
  10. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

get a seperate cupboard and lock it up. some people cant just control their curiosity and greed.

1 person likes this.