1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hubby's bad cholesterol, help!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by asuitablegirl, Nov 20, 2008.

1. Cutepavi

Cutepavi Silver IL'ite

Nandu,
    Great Analysis.. Even my husband is having trouble with Tri glyceride... so am trying my best to control Deep fried items... though i give him ghee paratha once in a while... am planning to implement the juice... its great and i want to push him to go and workout... both of us are lazy!

Thanks for the info...

2. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies,

So my dh is going in for his first doctors visit since the initial bad news of high cholesterol. He's going to be getting a blood test on 26th, please pray that through your good suggestions he has lowered his cholesterol.

Occasionally he has indulged and eaten the wrong foods, but for the most part he has been eating very well. I will be so happy if he has reduced a little bit. I will let you all know the results and also what the doctor says, maybe he will give some good tips about cholesterol that the rest of us can use too!

Ok ladies, thanks so much again for all your help, you're the best! :bowdown

3. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

4. asuitablegirl

Hi reshmirn,

I can understand your frustration! Believe me, seeing my dh smoke really drove me nuts! To the point where I would cry and cry thinking about how he would die early because of the smoking. Finally, before we got married he gave it up because he saw how sad it was making me. To this day I let other things slide because I'm so thankful he gave up at least one bad habit.

I agree with you, your dh must want to change before any suggestions will be useful. I think after seeing his sky high cholesterol number for himself, my dh realized the problem. What I did though was find alternatives for the yummy dishes he likes. For example, I now make malai kofta by baking the koftas and using evaporated milk instead of cream. Although it's still not 100% healthy, it's a big improvement. Likewise, when we order pizza out I request "light on the cheese" and they will add only 1/2 the amount as normal, and it still tastes just as good.

Instead of having red meat dishes 3 times a week, now it's red meat once and three to four times of chicken and fish. Just simple substitutions like that. If your dh is not willing to give anything up, is he willing to add something? Eating a bowl of oatmeal in the morning is excellant for lowering cholesterol.

I think one thing that kept my dh motivated was knowing that every once in a while he could still go to burger king and get a whopper and fries. My dh is a total foodie and could never give up indulgences either. He also likes alcholic beverages just like your dh. When I suggest him what to eat he pouts and and makes a face like a puffed up frog! Although we can't make our husbands to become John Abrahams going to the gym 24/7 and eating healthy foods only, we can at least take the initiative and make some healthy changes in what we cook. Unless of course your dh loves to cook like mine. no paneer pakora? He will come into the kitchen and fry his own! :rotfl

Good luck reshmirn! Don't give up hope!

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  5. reshmirn

reshmirn Bronze IL'ite

Hi 'asuitablegirl'
    both yours and my DH's seem to have somewhat similar characteristics but yours at least stopped smoking for you..but mine not doing that for me or our kid!!! I too have cried lots, even fought with him, tried several tactics that has at times helped but just for few days before he finds himself with a new pack of cig! He had a minor surgery for sinusitis few months back and then he had promised to quit the habit. But still he cant keep away from cig for more than 3 -4 days. bonk

Anyhow now he keeps away from red meat, no burgers/shewarmas etc. Prefer grilled chicken/fish instead of deep frying.Hey even he cooks esp. non veg. buy chicken thighs,clean them,add masala and deeeeeeep fry. OOOh god when he starts pouring oil, I'll start screaming.Rant

Now the prob is that I've started losing my patience and find myself criticising him;though I know that I need to keep a cool head to bring hom my way.
    It is only for his bad habits and carelessness regarding health matters that we pick up a fight!:hide:

Oh god, pls help me change this darling of mine.

6. asuitablegirl

Hi ladies,

In November when my hubby's cholesterol was at 274, you offered me great suggestions on how to improve his health. I'm happy to say, yesterday we got back his most recent cholesterol results and now he's at 235!!!

It's still higher than normal, but wow, at least there was improvement! The ultimate goal is to get below 200. The doctor said to keep on his current diet and increase exercise. Hubby has since taken up golf and is eating a very healthy diet. :biggrin2:

To anyone reading this with cholesterol problems, I'd suggest looking through the wonderful replies the ladies here gave me, because you will definitely see a positive change. Also, be sure to get a check up with a doctor to make certain you're on the right track!

Thanks again for all your help, I really appreciate it.

7. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

ASG

Well done to your husband on decreasing his cholesterol! While I'm sure he deserves some credit for this improvement, we all know it's often the caring and supportive wife in this scenario who has made the most difference!

I watched my mother nurse my father back to health after he suffered a heart attack and a underwent bypass surgery in his mid-40s, and a lot of the things she implemented (diet and lifestyle changes) were taken up rather grudgingly by him. Despite his bad attitude (he still fusses when he has to go for check-ups, etc.), he is still alive today, and it is largely thanks to her, in my opinion.

So, congratulations to you for tackling this problem in such a conscientious and informed manner. Your husband is lucky to have someone like you looking after him!

8. asuitablegirl

Awww thanks Ansuya. My dh is enthusiastic about golf, walks around the block, etc. but NOT so enthusiastic about healthy eating and yearly check ups. Rant

Guess I will have to be like your mom and stay on top of things, else they'd never get done. He got mad at first when he found out I scheduled the appointments and said he would have done it himself. So I asked, when??? His answer.... Someday. Which basically means, never. :crazy

Anyways, let me do this one thing for him and take care of his health. It benefits him and me. He gets to stay alive and I get to keep my hubby around for many more years to come! :kiss

Thanks again for all the mails you sent me about this topic, it was really encouraging. :thankyou2:

9. SandyTM

SandyTM Junior IL'ite

Hi..
    Am in exactly the same situation as you. My hubby has very high cholestrol and doctor has given him medications for few months. However i dont want him to be on medication. The problem is he is not at all conscious of his condition. He never exercises and has no control over food. Am tired of telling him everyday about this and it leaves me frustrated when one does not take care of one's health. On my side i take care of what i cook. Hope the situation changes.

And to give some tips: Use flax seed powder in cooking and eat walnuts. Have heard that they increase the "good cholestrol"

10. OOPALL

OOPALL Silver IL'ite

Hi there!
    Definately add oatmeal to the diet. Within 3-4 weeks you will see a drop in the numbers. I know for most men, meat is essential part of the meal. Try smaller portions of meat. Salmon (fish) is good alternative. Flaxseed is also good for reducing cholestrol. Has lots of OMEGA3. Exercise is a big part. Go in pairs to the gym, this way he has a workout buddy. I understand that sometimes we make work our top priority but health is most important. Even a 30 minutes dedicated to exercise will do wonders.