1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Hubby's bad cholesterol, help!

Discussion in 'Indian Diet & Nutrition' started by asuitablegirl, Nov 20, 2008.

1. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

Everything that you fry, try to bake it.. replace meat w/ fish like salmon and tuna and if you two don't like fish, chicken meat is better that red meat.

Most Indian food items require deep frying or pan frying.. check out food blogs, I google items and then just look for an easier alternative. Try making some cookies and snacks and home.. use a lot of dried fruits, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds in cookies, cakes and stuff, it would fill you up and it is good as well.

Use egg whites instead of yolks, I don't like eggbeaters, yucky aftertaste. Honestly, everything in moderation works best. But just because you avoid meat items, don;t load up on carbs then there will be a whole host of other issues.

Good luck!!

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Nands,
    Excellent information! I loved your post. Sunitha's juice is new(s) to me & I have made a note of it. I enjoyed your making a good analysis of how to cut down cholestrol.
    Eat (or drink) smoothies with oats, wheat germ or bran, fruit & skimmed milk. It can replace a breakfast "comfortably".
    Love,
    Chithra.

3. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

Hi

I have my own experience in this matter, my DH's cholestrol level initially was ( by Aug 15th) 320 and i was worried to the core and start to change his diet imm but already he is very strict in diet and have very healthy eating habit and he wont even have habit of snacking inbetween and consume very little rice and hate oily and fried items and he hate to eat outside food etc......so iam confused and shocked to see his result , not only cholestrol, suddenly he got DIABETIC TOO, OMG i was down for the next one week, keep lamenting and crying and took oath to change everything his diet, daily routine and life style

Main reason for his bad cholestrol level is due to LACK OF PHYSICAL ACTIVITY , he is IT person, so spends his day almost by sitting ( 8am to 10pm) an even on weekends he work from home never involve in any other activity.........Sso not only DIET IS IMPORTANT TO REDUCE CHOLESTROL LEVEL ,but LIFE STYLE too

Atlast he started WALKING daily early morning for minimum 45mts , no time to join gym and moreover he have problem in his shoulders

And his diet is

BREAKFAST : Oats kanji with buttemilk and sliced veg one plate or 4 idly with mixed veg puli kuzambu ( i wont give more than 4 idly )

LUNCH

Small cup of rice ( as usual) along with

Veg curry ( i will just steam it and make it with very less oil)

Diet kootu ( main veg will be SURAKAI almost every lternative day , since it is good for DIABETIC AS WELL AS CHOLESTROL

Sundal mainly kollu / Horsegram sundal ( i wont season it, just pressure cook it with little salt)

Veg Salad /sprouts - daily compulsory

Any greens / spinach variety , i wll do only masiyal, so NO arachivitu and all

Neeeeeeeeeer more ( Butter milk) it wil jus look in white colour but it will taste heaven, no doubt ........the with enough salt, vendayam (fenugreek) , jeeragam( jeera) , perungayam ( astofedia) and curshed gigner, curryleaves and coriander leaves .yes it is MASALA buttermilk

DINNER

Wheat rava upma( pressure cooker method) or wheat rava pongal ( no seasoning with ghee , jus v little oil ) or Ragi dosa / adai with mix veg or Wheat flour dosai or Samba rava idly ...all this i will prepare HOT and serve him, so he cant find / miss lack of taste ( use NON STICK DOSA TAWA , IDLY STAND)

Fruits : guava ( 2) , pappaya ( half)

NO MILK NO CURD NO GHEE NO OIL NO COCNUT CHUTNEY NO ROOT VEG
    (He is very much fond of DAIRY PRODUCTS and hate fried /poricha and NO SNACKS appalam,podi's, thogayal etc)

After 10 days his cholestrol level was 240 ( say by 25th aug)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  4. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

And, on Sep 8th, we took another test and his cholestrol atlast came to 130 THANK GOD :bowdown:bowdown:bowdown

Till today, he is following this strict diet but have included little bit items as per doctor's advice

We should be very supportive to them, cheer them up and at the same time be very strict in diet and exercise , almost the same diet i also used to take (dont ask me whether i have reduced weight) and never eat anything in front of him ( like his fav item), try your level best to accompany him for walking

Dont worry, cheer up and wishng you all the best ....

5. sumasandeep

sumasandeep Silver IL'ite

Hi all,

I don't know whether i make sense if i mention the tip which know, which help to reduce cholestrol level.

I've read and seen people in North India use mustard oil for cooking and for tadka. It does not harm or increase any cholestrol. It's specially recommanded for heart patients and its good for health too. (For all ages)

And if somebody is suffering from severe cold or sinus problem...warm this mustard oil little and put 2 drops of heated (warm) mustard oil drops to each nostril with ink pillar. It really burns inside but really helps to bring out everythg what's inside :)

After putting it one should close the other nostril and take breath deeply so that it goes starightly into the eyebrows area (Keep ur head height high) not into ur throat :)

Do it twice or thrice in day when there is cold really it works.

6. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Hi ladies!!!

I can't thank you all enough for the very good tips! This weekend when we went shopping I made sure to buy only cholesterol free items and lots of veggies. I can't wait to start the week with this new goal in mind of lowering cholesterol!

Lata your husband's cholesterol was too high but you have brought it back to healthy so fast, I will definitely try everything you said! Even my husbands problem is, he says there is no time for the gym, but definitely there will be time for a walk... I'll start saying to go for a walk at night, hopefully he will do it. What you said is very right, must be supportive but also strict with diet. You know this morning my poor dh was eating oats and I was sitting there eating an egg. I felt sooo guilty, from now on I won't be eating restricted foods in front of him.

Tru1, I will surely try the fenugreek routine!

V, definitely I will cut back the red meat! I feel the red meat and the eggs (plus what he ate at work) is the main cause of the problem! My Dh just loves food though so much so when I take away the red meat and eggs I feel like I'm depriving him! I guess though sometimes you have to sacrifice, he has to learn better eating habits or else who knows what could happen???

One last question: I keep getting suggested to make baked foods, not shallow frying... I looked up online about Canola oil, which is what we use, and it said it has no cholesterol. So can I use it or not??? Is it still bad for health? Thanks!!!

7. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

use olive oil for all sorts of frying.. the only issue w/ olive oil is that i've noticed is that it has a heats up quite fast compared to canola and so it can smoke faster..

oats works, don't worry! it's for his benefit and also try to eat the same food.. its great to be able to share a meal together.. and he won;t feel so left out..

and when i keep vrithams/vrats, i get the vegan meat (its actually pretty good) and you can use it like regular meat as well.. if your DH does not step into the kitchen to cook, you can defintely use it and he wouldn't know the difference.. and it since its made of soy, its got some extra flavnoids that we call could use time and over again!

8. deeps1

deeps1 New IL'ite

Hi
    Thanks Nandu for the information on cholestrol and will try and do as advised!

9. asuitablegirl

asuitablegirl Gold IL'ite

Just a quick update... We've started going on 45 min walks every other day. I think it's helping a lot, we both feel we have more energy and feel healthier! Also since last week my dh has dropped a few pounds due to exercise and diet! Will know in a few months whether cholesterol has lessened. And thank God hot dogs and sausage biscuit are out of the picture!!! He is bringing lunch from home to work.Thanks again everyone, looks like we're on the right track thanks to your advices! :clap

10. ALPA

ALPA Platinum IL'ite

congrats, way to go girl, keep it up and keep us posted about your DH progress.

alpa:cheers