1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How venkatachalanilayam became a hit

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sln, Jun 8, 2009.

1. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

We are a musical family.As children, my younger brother and I used to go to Brihadeeswarar temple in Tanjore on Thursdays and sing in the temple under the tutelage of my father, a musical buff.During Navarathi the brother pair became a hit and we were flooded with sundal and sweets.When our sisters grew up, formal training was arranged with a vidwan and we used to listen when the training was on.The urge to sing continued until the voice was ravaged by continuous travel and changes in life style.
    My father learnt Kannada from my colleague while I worked in Hubli and learnt Telegu while I served in Hyderabad.He in turn taught my sisters Kannada and Telegu so that they could do justice to Thygaraja and Purandaradasa, and sing in flawless Telegu and Kannada.Such was the passion and obviously this had a rub off effect on me.
    My wife and children did not think much about my music and whenever I attempted bath room singing I was effectively silenced on the plea that it would affect our relationship with our neighbours.I was like a caged Nightingale ready to coo at the slightest opportunity.
    I became President of the staff/officers club in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Goa</st1:place> and this was a welfare activity which I pursued with all sincerety and seriousness.Budget was not a constraint.I watched a program-Lehar Lehar Sangeeth in the TV and jumped at the idea to have such a program in our club..There were over 150 houses in the colony and the residents were from all parts of India-national integration in the true sense of the term. I announced the program.The rules were simple.
    A person who sings in any language of the Region other than his mother tongue will get 15 marks extra.The person singing in any language from another region will get 25 marks extra.On other parameters they will be awarded marks on a scale of 1-50.For eg a tamilian singing in telegu/Malayalam/kannada will get 15 marks straight away and singing in marathi or Bengali will get 25 marks irrespective of the quality of performance.Prizes were substantial.The atmosphere in the colony became electric and children as well as adults were running helter skelter to their neighbours and friends who spoke other languages.Distinguished persons from bureaucracry,college ,social service and the music field were selected to be the judges for the program.The sleepy colony became a beehive of activity however shrouded in secrecy as it was a hifi competition.

Trouble erupted when I also registered as a participant.While other partipants welcomed me, my wife and daughters were not amused.They argued that being the president of the club it was unethical for me to participate.I said that I would rather resign the presidentship than forego my fundamental right to singThey then changed tack stating that what was a family secret ie my singing ability would become public knowledge and it would be humiliating for them to face sympathetic looks from colony residents.I challenged them on this score and made moves to improve my singing.Every day I got up at 5AM,sat in the bathtub with water filled upto my neck.Then started my intense singing practice and continued for an hour every day.I tackled Venkatachala nilayam in kannada by saint Purandara dasa and as a contingency plan, sivaranjini navaragini in telegu from Balachander’s film”Thoorpu Padamara.”.My wife and children watched it with occasional signals passing on between my daughters showing index finger on the forehead and making a circular motion.I am sure you understand what I mean.
    On the appointed day, the auditorium was brimming with people and my family members occupied the front seat.When I was giving final touches,I developed cold feet what with veteran singers on the one side and the unappreciative audience[my family members] occupying the front seat –I cannot avoid looking at them.I explained my predicament to Gomes our electrical engineer.He asked me to be seated in the green room and disappeared for a few minutes.He had gone home and returned with a flask of black coffee.He gave me a generous portion and gave me a refill seconds later.He was managing an amateur theater group and said that such treatment had helped him tide over awkward moments in his theater career.He was right-my spirits lifted up in 15 minutes and I started singing right in the green room.Gomes reminded me that the competition was yet to begin and I should wait my turn to mesmerize the audience.At last, when my turn came.I closed my eyes ,brought the picture of Balajee in Tirupathi temple before my eyes and that is all.Music flowed from my lips like a forest brook and I experienced a hitherto unknown fervour and devotion.When the song ended, the audience including my adversaries gave me a standing ovation.
    When the chief judge came on the stage to announce the results, she asked the audience as to who according to them would have won the first prize.Came the shout in unison-our president-our president.The lady said No and announced the three prize winners,a tamilian girl mesmerizing with a Konkani number, Bengali boy singing a Punjabi bhangra and a malayalee girl delivering a meera bhajan.The judge also announced the secret pact between us that I was not to be considered a participant in the competition.

With tenacity I established my right to sing and I reassert myself now and then in association get togethers with appreciative support from my wife.Thanks to Gomes who mixed a stiff dose of Brandy with the black coffee,I found my call to sing again.

sindmani and hemchi like this.

2. vishy

vishy Bronze IL'ite

Excellent write-up. I liked your style of writing, I had a smile on my face throughout :).

So who became hit (fit) - Venkatachalanilayam or the Black Coffee? I guess Mr. Gomes is your friend in need. By the way, did he supply Black Coffee to the audience too....:rotfl

Hope you are continuing with your singing venture - minus the BLACK COFFEE.

All the best to you and keep up the good work..... (I meant writing :coffee ....)

Vishy

3. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

dear LN sir,
    wow!!! what a beautiful narration of your encounter with the song"Venkatachala nilayam"!when you describe your singing lessons, I travelled back to my childhood, when my mother asked us to learn all the krithis with correct pronunciation and meaning. Poor lady! she thought we would become another "M.S orM.L.V".As you have experienced,
    I also had when I came to my in-laws house. So all my singing , I bundeled and throw away in the attic. How dare the judge took that kind of decission? I think with the brandy in the coffee you sang someother song:).But kudos to your attempt.
    your friend should have given that coffee to the judge. In that case you would have come out with flying colors!!! nice thing your family understood your talent. thank you very much.Enjoyed your presentation.
    with love
    pad

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  4. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Sir,
    Among the few things i regret in my life is not learning carnatic music under proper tutelage.
    When my sisters were learning , i refused to learn saying that i wanted to learn western music. Poor mom said that is not for us, if you enjoy western music fine, but i can't afford a teacher to teach you or buy a guitar. I was adamant.But my sisters used to sing, i practised few simple scores for navaratri and kept on repeating for every visit and sundal earning.
    Only thing i could do was identify when they sing out of note. My mom used to say "even though you can't sing finding fault you are excellent"
    Now i enjoy classical/hindustani music so much, able to identify simple ragas all because the music was in the house and it some how got into me.

You made debut in the program, i think you deserve the prize and winning the audience over to you.
    Bottom line is that if we don't have the guts to sing, we shd drink brandy with black coffee
    Jaya

5. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Vishy,
    I enjoyed your comments and the pun on the word.It did not strike us to give black coffee to the audience.If only we had done that every one would have chanted venkatachala like they chant Govinda-Govinda in tirumalai hills.Thanks for the intersting FB.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

6. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Padmini,
    Thanks for the FB.Every one has tried singing some time or other.Depending on the voice,encouragement and training they blossom into good musicians.How often we come across stunning singers in the moving train?Music transcends age,geographical and linguistic barriers.There is a gentleman who likes to do the prayer song in the association meetings.It is so terrible that members hide till he finishes the song to join the meeting.Kuripparindhu nadakkamaatadhavan maram-that is what he is.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

7. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Lakshmi mama
    Its always a pleasure to read your writings and this is no exception. I was eagerto see where the narration would lead to and you maintained a simple suspense till the moment you got on stage.
    So delighted that the nightingale did get to coo at the right time:)

8. rajiravi

rajiravi Bronze IL'ite

Dear LN Mama,

I like all your posts and the way you narrate the situation....and this is yet another interesting post....As usual, I like the final touch "black coffee with Brandy"....so, final a "oru bathtub singer" "medai singer" a mariteenga ---- vaazhthukkal...

9. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Dear Anandchitra,
    Thanks for your spirit lifting FB.Both my daughters are Nightingales.My sister is a Ph.D in music and teaches music in a college.Even today, in her midforties, she sings my favourite ragas every time she visits us.Every marriage in the family ended up in a music concert by the family members recreating a carnival atmosphere.Those days are gone-people attend marriages in a hurry and disappear by the next train or flight.Thanks for allowing me to share a bag full of woes.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN

10. sln

sln Platinum IL'ite

Thanks Raji for complimenting me on becoming a medai singer.Where there is music there can be no evil.During our bachelor days we had to contribute one rupee each and get poori masala to my room mate before he opened his mouth.He was such a verstile singer that he was besieged by many groups to perform.There is tranquility and peace when you wake up and go to bed with music.
    Regards
    LAKSHIMINARAYANAN