How to Use hing and Ginger garlic paste?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by drnamshara, Mar 24, 2015.

1. drnamshara

drnamshara Gold IL'ite

Hi All

New to cooking, I am unable to use these two ingredients comfortably.

Hing: How long to fry after heating the oil?
    To add at the beginning? or in between or at the end if making a veggie dish?

Ginger Garlic paste: It always splutters and the oil splashes on my face and hand.
    I stand 5 feet away while using this!!
    How does one actually use it?

Please suggest...

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Ginger garlic paste -- we usually add it after sautéing onions or veggies . I never add it in oil directly .

You can also use a lid till the moisture dries up after adding ginger garlic paste

1 person likes this.
  3. radv

radv Gold IL'ite

Hing - I usually use it along with cumin (jeera). Put cumin in medium hot oil, mix for 2 seconds and add hing. Mix again for 2 seconds and add whatever you are making, like onion, tomato, vegetables or dal.

Ginger-Garlic paste - I usually grind them separately and store also separately. Don't use water to make paste. Instead if required add little oil to make paste. It will not splutter.

1 person likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Hing will burn very soon, so add after some of the other tadka ingredients and just before adding the vegetables !
    (I usually add it at the end after switching off for dals, rasam and pulusu and pachadi as the hing taste wont be obvious after boiling!)

Reg the ginger garlic paste - the water is the culprit - the store bought ones will have a lot of water content. Make you own if possible, with oil as the base - the oil will cool the hot oil a little bit and fry nicely.

You will get these enclosed splatter covers at any roadside vessels store or big bazaar or d-mart - four covers in 4 different sizes for Rs. 120 !
    Use them depending on your kadai size ! You can use a long ladle - put the ginger-garlic paste with the right hand and immediately close with this cover with the left hand. And let it splutter
    splatter-screen.JPG

1 person likes this.