1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Teach Preschooler To Start Reading

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by GoneGirl, May 11, 2021.

1. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

I am looking for suggestions to teach pre-K kid to start reading.. My kid knows the alphabets and can write them, but am trying to figure out how to teach my kid to read.. How did you do it, what resources -like apps or books did you find helpful. Would really appreciate any inputs.

amulya2020 likes this.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

If you live in the U.S., I would highly recommend Bob Books. Learn More – Bob Books

There are many blogs devoted to how parents use these books. They are sold as "sets" and also as "collections." The difference between the two can be confusing. I never figured that out.

Costco online has two Bob Books collections.
    https://www.costco.com/bob-books:-collection-1-beginning-readers-and-advancing-beginners.product.100679323.html
    https://www.costco.com/bob-books:-collection-2-advancing-beginners-and-word-families.product.100679265.html

If you use Bob Books, try to follow the parent guide. It has useful suggestions.

After that, start borrowing books from the local library. Some of them also have "discussion points" at the end for adults to use when talking about the book with the child while and after reading it.

GoneGirl and Hopikrishnan like this.
  3. Tubinbataye

Tubinbataye Gold IL'ite

You can start with flashcards(alphabets/Numbers)
    However if you start reading to the kid everyday, eventually it'll become a habit for the kid.

GoneGirl likes this.
  4. Vedhavalli

Vedhavalli Platinum IL'ite

You can teach your child to read by flashing black and white index cards- saying only the sound of each letter.
    Use the short vowel sounds and do not say letter names. In order for a child to learn how to read they need to learn how to sound out each letter.
    You can introduce letter names later on, that is the easy part.
    Create your own flash cards by taking index cards and using a black marker to write lower case letters.
    Using a black marker on white index cards creates contrast that children can see and recognize better.
    Using lower case letters to start off is important because lower case letters are more frequent in reading.

Flash the cards once a day. It should not take more than 1 minute to go through all of them. It is recommended you sit the child on a high chair or baby seat while teaching the toddlers have short attention spans. Once your child learns the letter sounds A-Z now you can start blending two and three letter words. See chart below for beginning blends. Then you can move on to reading Bob’s books, then finally a phonics primer, my favorite is Alpha Phonics https://www.amazon.com/dp/0941995321/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_WEWYAGGWMRBCXDV0Y95N to teach all 44 sounds of the English language systematically.

See how YouTube videos how to teach phonetics.

GoneGirl likes this.