1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to stop thumb-sucking habit

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Karthiga, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Need some help

DD started sucking her thumb some 10 days back (when she turned 2 months). Initially I was ok and was prepared to wait till she outgrew it. I did not want to force anything.

But these days, she wants to suck her thumb always. Also, she gets very wild if she cannot get hold of her thumb. She seems to be passified only with sucking her thumb. Rocking, feeding nothing helps. Also, she doesn't play anymore, all she wants to do is suck her thumb when she is awake :((

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Bump.

DD seems to have replaced thumbsucking for feeding. She doesn't cry for hunger also.
    All she wants is the thumb. I check the time and feed her.

3. roopasrivats

roopasrivats New IL'ite

Hello ladies,
    i would say its the best to stop the habit right in the beginning, after all moms are there to remove insecurity from our kid :) My son started to suck his finger when he was around 3 months, we were so thrilled as it looked so cute and we were happy that it could be soothing for him. Believe me now we are regretting, he keeps sucking his finger whenever he is bored, sleepy, hungry, anxious, angry, excited....wat not?? his finger is wet always... :(

very moment ur lil one starts it please stop him, its only for his good... I dont think its worth to wait for the kid to become 5 and then fighting with the habit ( or believing that the habit would vanish before tat)...

My son is 10 months old now, i am trying my best to stop him, started with
    Step 1: soft toy today...he dint even give a glance :)

next would be...
    Step2:Cloth around his thumb

wat else can i try!..help ladies...

some success stories will motivate us!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.