1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How To Stop Getting Mails For Donations?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Naari, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Hello ILs,

I am pretty sure some of you might be facing this same problem & may have some solutions. We are not very philanthropic or anything, but somehow, we have been getting too many mails from all types of non-profits for donations in the last year or so. I am not sure where they source their mail lists from (getting name & address info) to solicit donations. We maybe making some donations through employers but other than that no active / regular contributions to any non-profits or similar. We get two mails from each non-profit org which tells me they probably get the address info from some community source (since the house is in both our names) or do they send it to everyone possible??

But, I am too tired of tearing off these mails and also feeling guilty for not contributing. Some come with advance gifts like gloves, coins , name & address labels,calendars, stickers etc. It's almost like a mental / emotional blackmail since you are receiving something from them in advance, so you better contribute!:(

Pls suggest any ways to stop getting such mails or maybe stop sharing our info (but I am not sure how they get their mail lists in the first place). Your ideas are appreciated as always.

Thank you!

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

No need to feel guilty. They send them out knowing only a fraction of people will respond, and it always picks up during the holiday season. I save the address labels and immediately shred and pitch the rest. We donate to causes of our choosing, not something random that comes through the mail.

sindmani and Naari like this.
  3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

They come in big waves before the end of TAX year. People donate to their favorite charities, so as to make their government support them as well.
    Recycle the junk-mail.

Plug: Support Planned Parenthood.

Naari likes this.
  4. HazelPup

HazelPup Platinum IL'ite

You dont get calls/e-mails ? Just mails? Lucky you .... :)