How To Stay Positive Despite Negative Environment And Circumstances

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by gamma50g, Apr 19, 2024.

1. gamma50g

gamma50g Gold IL'ite

Having a positive mindset especially during tough times help us overcome and surf our way through trying times.

I thought of starting a thread that gives folks tips and tricks from experienced women (and men) on how to stay positive and have positive thoughts no matter how negative or depressing or provocating the environment around them are or their circumstances are.

2. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Good thread. One thing I want to share - Acceptance. Acceptance to the negative thoughts and situations. IF YOU RESIST IT WILL PERSIST. This beautiful insight will work wonders. I got it from Sri Sri Ravishankar and applied it many times. But we have to make it as our habit then it will become our second nature.

3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan Finest Post Winner

I think of a girl who had undergone worst experience on day one of marriage and how she wriggled out of it and how her brother stood with her in times of her deep distress . This is narrated in a serialised story in link

Getti Melam - Supraja - An Apple Of My Eye

gamma50g likes this.
  4. Divyasaravanan

Divyasaravanan Silver IL'ite

One thing to always remember is, you are ought to feel negative during certain days of a month! Its common, its due to harmones. So watch out for those days and dont react too much during those days!
    On a lighter note, I personally feel watching indian dramas where the herione goes thru so much torture coz of husband and inlaws really helps in boosting my happiness. It'll make me think, atleast my life is much better than hers :)

gamma50g likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My feelings about positive mindset and positive thoughts are along the lines of my feelings about forgiveness. : )

I aim more for a "nearer to neutral" mindset. One that doesn't react too much, get worked up too much. The root is acceptance like mentioned in a post above. Acceptance does not mean doing nothing, it means accepting what is and then doing what one can about it, but not wasting energy getting angry why the thing happened.

Not exactly tips and tricks, but a few things that have helped me is practicing mindfulness. I am still surprised I tried it and that it helped so much. The other thing has been, strangely enough, following a few people on social media. Their quotes that show up in my feed are a nice gentle reminder of what really matters.

The simplest thing and also the hardest thing for me has been to talk less. The days or week I can follow this, the extra peace of mind is tangible. Explaining myself too much, giving lectures too much, doing after-the-fact analysis too much, all drain away energy.

6. NOW

NOW Gold IL'ite

well said.. and same for me about sharing or analyzing the situation with someone else (usually my husband and one trusted friend) and going overboard. If I take time time to process and accept it and then respond, I am bound to be more poised and at peace. Hard to practice everytime though !!

Rihana and gamma50g like this.
  7. AshaKantaSharma

AshaKantaSharma New IL'ite

To turn negative thinking into positive thinking, identify areas to change, evaluate your thoughts, be open to humor, follow a healthy lifestyle, surround yourself with positive people, and practice positive self-talk. Focus on focusing on positive aspects of life, such as work, relationships, and daily routines, and practice self-reflection to manage stress and improve overall well-being.