1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

How to preserve glass paintings?

Discussion in 'Paintings' started by rkgurbani, Sep 16, 2014.

1. rkgurbani

rkgurbani IL Hall of Fame

Sometime ago I did some glass paintings with the usual glass colours. I got them framed too.

But when I was wiping them (carefully, of course), I realized that from some areas the glass paint was coming out...I mean it could be peeled out. And I had used 3d liners for outlining...that too was coming off.

I did not apply anything on the painting after they were dry. I just got them framed directly. A friend suggested applying varnish on the glass and then getting it framed to protect the glass colours.

Please suggest ladies how to go about this and also framing instructions if any. I have seen such lovely glass paintings by so many of you...so your guidance and tips will be appreciated.

2. rkgurbani

Only Views.....No replies?

Friends, many of you are experts, do share your thoughts on this. Have any of your glass paintings spoilt over a period of time? I only keep wondering...any other way we can frame the paintings so that the top remains protected?

3. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

hi rkg ,
    usually i frame the paintings with the painted side inside .
    try to put a coat of clear varnish on top and when cleaning wipe only with a dry cloth.

1 person likes this.
  4. rkgurbani

Thanks Stillwater....will try that way depending on the picture if it can be reversed or not. Shall try the varnish effect too.