1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Participate In Reginal Chess Tournments

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by madhulika78, Mar 2, 2018.

1. madhulika78

madhulika78 New IL'ite

Hai Ladies
    can anybody tell me how to make my son participate in reginal chess tournments..He played in UIL chess and school district chess tournements..But school said that it is only up to school level and don't go beyond that..He is very much interested in chess and i do not know what is the path to make him go beyond that level...If anybody has idea ,can you please let me know...Thanks in advance.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

@madhulika78 , the easiest way to find regional events for juniors is to contact the US Chess Federation (USCF).
    See here. At the bottom of the page, it says: "We encourage you to contact us if you don't find what you are looking for here, or if we can be of assistance to you in any way." This applies to you!

In the meantime, he can play online. See Chessbase for resources.
    Also here: Fritz.
    I don't know what his level is, but he may benefit from these problem books. The first is the one I give kids interested in chess. It is very enjoyable!
    Beginner's Chess
    Chess: 5334 Problems, Combinations and Games
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Shanvy likes this.
  3. madhulika78

madhulika78 New IL'ite

4. madhulika78

madhulika78 New IL'ite

Thank You so much for the reply...I was waiting for someone to reply since long time...he does not have any level...I don't know how someone gets level or what a level is...Could you please tell me about that..
    yeah I looked in USCF and from what I understand from that is that they need to play in local chess clubs..am I correct...But the point what I don't understand is that from there how do they go to reginal or next level tournements..If you can let me know,that would be of great help..

Again,thank you for replying..

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

For ELO ratings, see here and here.
    Chess.com will also help with ELO ratings and online games with real opponents, as shanvy pointed out above.
    However, before entering into the ranking calculations, make sure he is mature enough to use it to improve his skill at the game. It would be counter-productive if he gets bogged down in an "I'm not good enough" mindset. You need to pay attention to his personality and maturity level. Guidance from the school chess coach will help in approaching scores with the right frame of mind. There is a life-lesson to be learned here!
    This is a teaching moment! Ask your son to email the USCF**. He can draft a note in consultation with his local coach - a brief description of his interest, participation and progress so far, followed by a question about what opportunities exist in your neighborhood/town/state for advancement. When an enthusiastic kid writes, people usually respond!:lol:

**I assume you live in the US since you mentioned "school district" - that's a very American formulation!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  7. madhulika78

madhulika78 New IL'ite

Thank You Shanvy and sokanasanah For your reply..Your guess is correct..I live in US...I will look in to chess.com first and also get the ELO rating...I am yet to find out the local club where he can participate..I also read in USCF website that they give ratings for the players..Is the rating and the ELO same or are they different..