1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to occupy toddler???

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by cheer, Sep 11, 2009.

1. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Toddler and Me

Hi all

Why dont we discuss about our routine with toddlers at home..

How do u all make ur toddler to pass time. Especially we have our own house-hold chores, and its difficult to sit with our kid always.. So how do u all manage..
    What does ur kid do if u r not with him/her? Dont he/she feel bored alone playing with toys always?
    As we discuss here, TV time is less, so what other entertainment for them..

I feel discussing this might give moms some ideas to engage their kid.. Especially i feel i can get much help from this thread as i always break my head whenever my son gets bored and the only relief for me is make him watch TV which always doesnt help :-(

So pour in ur ideas..

- San

2. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Re: Toddler and Me

Let me first tell my tips to engage toddlers..

-Toys
    -Letter blocks and number blocks - where the kid has to place the letters in corresponding cavity..
    -Computer - cartoons that teach something
    -Books read by me
    -Me teaching him something playfully
    -Taking him out, mostly in summer and in winter depending on the weather to play area or ground.
    -With DH, we go out in evenings.
    -TV

Now this is the list of things we do, some may work and some may not work all the time.

Do share ur routine ladies..

3. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

I think most of the activities we do revolve around what you have mentioned...

You had mentioned teaching him playfully..maybe we can all elaborate on that so that we get new ideas...

My son is now 2.5 yrs old and goes to preschool 3 days/week...of late, the new game we play is guessing the letter of a word...Like I say "Cake" stressing on "kku" phonetic made by C...and he identifies it as C....likewise am yet to teach him all phonetic sounds though...but found this to be an easy way to teach phonics...

Apart from it, i keep randomly asking him wat sounds animal makes, guess colours etc...

Still occupying them full time is kind of difficult...But some TV programs do help..he started learning phonics by watching "Word world" in PBS...

4. sanravi_1970

sanravi_1970 Gold IL'ite

Quite interesting paddubala.. Does he talk good now, i mean in sentences,cos u said he is answering u, so i asked..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  5. sonamkumar

sonamkumar Senior IL'ite

Sanravi, you have pretty much summarized all the activities that can be done with toddlers. I think they need something new all the time to keep them engaged.
    So a good way can be to alternate the activities. Come up with an activity which you did some time back ago.
    Also, my son would not let me do house work. If I wash dishes he wants to play with water. So I give him some new utensil he is not aware of and let him explore the shape sound etc. If I clean the house, he wants to do it before me. So I hand him a separate unusable mop so that he feels useful and play imitating me. Thus many times we are work buddies. I keep talking to him, so that he does not feel neglected. That way work gets done and he gets to do what he likes (imitate adults) and does not miss on the attention he needs.

6. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

Yeah San_ravi,
    he talks pretty well...esp after joining school in sep, he talks very fluently in English too...

even I used to ask my toddler to help with dishes..infact i wash dishes and hand over to him..he arranges them in dishwasher...similarly he knows where to keep them back in shelves...good helper:)

now he is learning to fold clothes..ha ha..

7. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

San - merging your thread with an older one.

V.