1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Would you like to join the IL team? See open jobs!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. What can you teach someone online? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If someone taught you via skype, what would you want to learn? Tell us here!
    Dismiss Notice

How to move dry food items while relocating?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sunitha, Jun 8, 2007.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

We will be relocating within a month to Columbus.We are engaging movers for the relocation.They say they will not move any food items inclusive of dry food items like rice,dals etc. Have any of u gone thru' this type of an experience? How did you move your dry food items like rice,dals,flours,spices etc.?

2. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

Sunitha,

I shifted twice ,both times movers refused to pack dal, rice,atta, spices etc. I wrapped them tightly in plastic bags and kept them with kitchen stuff. They packed it along with the vessels etc and it got transported. I suppose what they did not know did not harm them.

A couple of points: since you are moving within the US, I guess this will not be illegal import.

Also, I guess your stuff will arrive, be unpacked and be in circulation within a month. In my case, my stuff came after two months- the atta spoilt. The dals got weevils in them. Also, if you are taking things from the deep freezer and packing them,it is not a good idea. They spoil faster.

The main reason why packers refuse to move stuff, I guess is cos of this weevils problem. They may even move to other cargo.

If possible, try to carry all the dry stuff with you. I also gave off a lot of stuff to friends, esp if you have unopened packs of sugar,dry fruit,jaggery etc- the local temples will happily accept them.

Goodluck with your move.

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot,Vidya.

The movers say they will accept unopened sealed packets and at the same time they say they will not accept any food items..I am quite confused.

I am not planning to take any deep freezed items ,for that matter any items from the fridge,well, everything will get over by then,thank God!

The movers have two options-one set of stuff they will deliver within 6-7 days and the rest will go into storage for about 1 1/2 months until we find a place to reside permanently. Even in the 6-7 days delivery,they are not willing to accept things like rice and dal which is what amazes me.We are still discussing with the co-ordinator there,lets hope we get an amicable solution.
    If nothing else works,we might end up couriering these ourselves or distributing it here.