How to manage House maids in Chennai?

Discussion in 'Personal Services' started by palak, Nov 27, 2006.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

hi Palak,

dear palak,

sorry you are having a tough time finding a servant maid.
    It is a good idea to talk to your neighbors and get their help in finding a good maid. It will be very hard to get a person who fits to your needs and schedule, but I am sure you will find one soon. Good luck.

jothi.

2. kaminishankar

kaminishankar New IL'ite

House maid needed in Chennai

Hi all
    Im Kamini from Chennai. i currently live in New York. My parents r at chennai. ive been looking for a maid for my parents (to do washing and cleaning ONLY). but we're unable to find any. Is there any agencies that i can contact? Plz advise. My parents live in Korattur (near Anna nagar) ... Thank u :)

3. Verusha

Verusha New IL'ite

Re: House maids

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has done this - especially the Non-residents... Have you taken a nanny from India to your new country home?

I am thinking of getting a nanny from India rather than to get a local.. Although I am not sure how to go about doing it.. any advise?
    Know any agencis?
    Words of caution?

Thanks!

4. kaminishankar

kaminishankar New IL'ite

5. Verusha

Verusha New IL'ite

Hi

Thanks.. I'll check out that site.. However I am in S africa.

Why would there be visa problem?

thanks

6. kaminishankar

kaminishankar New IL'ite

in the US, work visas r only given for skilled labour. unskilled labour like nannies etc. do not get accepted. most ppl who do unskilled labour and live in the us, are those who arrived on a tourist visa and stayed back illegally or came through a blood relative. Again, this is the scene with regards to the US. i have no idea how things r with s africa !!!!!
    All the best anyways :)

7. Verusha

Verusha New IL'ite

Thanks. will see what happens...

8. SHEEBA PILLAI

SHEEBA PILLAI New IL'ite

Re: PLEASE CAN YOU HELP ME FIND A GOOD HOUSEMAID?

Hi, Im Sheeba
    I Live In London And Am Looking For A Kerala House Maid From India To Take To London.

My Mother Is Very Unwell And I Live Far From Her So, I Need To Someone To Help My Parents As They Are On Their Own And Not Of Best Health Too.

Please Can Anyone Recommend A Good Company To Contact..

Thks Sheeba

9. lmani

lmani Senior IL'ite

Oh you lucky women from India who can get household help.I wish I could do it in us.

10. lakshmis66

lakshmis66 New IL'ite

Dear all,

After going through this forum, I have decided to share my experiences on maids.bonk I work full time in Singapore where I have my ILs and son living with me and I have a home in Chennai as well where my husband is. I travel monthly to Chennai to manage stuff there.

I have a need for full time maid in both Singapore and in Chennai. In Singapore I went through a maid agency and have brought in maids from India since 1994 when my son was born.

Everytime I brought in a maid, I have to pay the agent and the govenment heavily not to mention the trauma of having to train a new maid. Hence whenever I get a maid I try to keep her for at least 2 years.

My 1st maid could fell sick often and I spent more on doctor than her salary and hence I decided to go for my second one. The second on was actually quite good as far as work is concerned and the way she handled crisis. So I decided to keep her despite the fact that she had done petty thefts, got pregnant once when I sent her back to India for a holiday by her husband (she claimed) and I had to help her with an abortion. . But after some time I learnt that she was having affairs with Bangladeshi workers below my apartments and decided to send her back after a stint of 7 years. My third one was married to apparantly a disabled person and had 3 daughters. I was sure that I will not have an 'affair' problem with her. But I was wrong. She had affairs in my house when my whole family had to go to Malaysia when an uncle passed away. So I sent her back as well. My 4th maid was very good. (lucky me!!!)

But meanwhile I was trying to get a maid for my Chennai home. We were ready to pay Rs 4000. We went through an agency who collected money from us and sent maids immediatly after getting 1 month salary from us. 2 weeks later a phone came and the maid left and never came back. Then the agency sent very substandard maids that I had to send them back in a day. Then I went to another agency. Again the 1st maid they sent was a good one but went back after a so called 'accident' in 2 weeks and never came back. Then I went to the agency and found the same maid being sent to another house. That was when I realised the dupe that the agencies were pulling. By then I had lost 2 month salary and still without a maid. Then I got a maid who said she heard aboput this job etc. So she was OK But when I saw my monthly expense it had gone up from Rs 6000 a month to Rs 22000. Apparantly she had provisions sent to my house in excess and got the bill and then returned it to the shop saying that she had ordered in excess and pocketed the money....How clever!!!

After that we got a maid who worked very well and cooked very well and we thought she was God sent. That was when she handed a love letter to my husband and had written that she would not mind being his keep. So that too had to go...............

Coming back to Singpore, I sent the maid I had in Singapore for 2 years whom I had mentioned worked for me to India and am now paying her Singapore salary. She is working out well and I have a new maid here and going thorugh the trauma of training. Everyday is a challenge.

The moral i wish to share from my experiences is keep your expectation to a minimum. Take it one step at a time. For those who want to trust maids to take care of you old folks.... my advise is don't do it unless you have a relative watching over them. They might drug your folks ... Am not saying they will but they might. These girls are now very clever and know all loopholes. The maid market in India is so tight because of the ample job opportunity in India as well as overseas. In Singapore itself here there ia an acute shortag of Indian maids. So if you come across a good one, you are lucky. Pay them very well toretain them... Else be sure that they will disappear.

1 person likes this.