1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to keep parents busy, occupied and entertained?

Discussion in 'Indians in Georgia' started by sonalidg, Aug 15, 2014.

1. sonalidg

sonalidg New IL'ite

Hi All,

I am Sonali and I live in Sandy springs. I am new to this forum!

We recently bought a house and my parents and in-laws are going to be visiting us from India. They'll be with us for 5 months. They wanted to come stay with us longer hence the 5 month stay period, but every time they come they start freaking out within a month or so - because they have no social friends circle here nor any family or no activity to do.. other than watching TV.

This time I thought I must plan to keep them busy in some way, in some activity.. I saw the Hindu temple of Atlanta and they have weekend Geeta classes, this was one good idea, but Riverdale is too far for us.

I wanted to see if you all had any suggestions on getting creative ideas on how to keep parents busy and entertained ? Or if you all had any suggestions for activities that I can enroll them into..

2. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Even I get bored when I visit my son US.

If it's a flat house. Atleast can meet other oldies with their grandchildren,go for walk inside the colony.
    they have shifted to indepentant house at Suwannee,from dunwoody ..trying to keep busy with art works.like beading.waiting for weekends hoping to meet South Indian faces.

1 person likes this.
  3. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Hello friends ,
    Is anyone received snacks ,navarathri toys etc on courier from chennai?whoch is the best way ?is post office is safe.guide me please.

4. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You could invite us all to your house we will keep them entertained hugsmiley:exactly:

@Murphybaby77,
    Murphy, you can use garudavega.com . its a local courier service run by the Hanuman mandir in alpharetta.
    Check the website . you can ship from india to US.

But you what, there are lots of navarthri items available here in indian stores . Even tasty Bengali sweets, north / South-indian snacks are available here.
    So I dont see any necessity to ship them from India to US. Think about it.

5. anmolhai

anmolhai Platinum IL'ite

I will be keeping my eye on this as I could use some ideas. Here mil has taken 1-2 house responsibilities but other then that nothing else.

6. murphybaby77

murphybaby77 Gold IL'ite

Thank u for courrier information dear Ranchu.
    As for invitation,sure i will invite u,when i visit suvanee.Atlanta.
    I have bought a Paper mach Kolu toy Ranghamannar-Andal.Big in size ,but weitless.
    Ofcourse Fragile.I want to send that to atlanta.
    Any idea .?
    Advance Thanks.

7. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow Super Murphy aunty ! You can wrap it tightly in Bubble pack or old cloth and send it in courier. If packing is neat and tight , then I think there may not be a problem.
    Again, Hanuman temple has golu bommai and navaratri.com has golu bommai

Bommai Kollu | Gollu Bommai | Doll festival

8. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Hi, my in-laws have in the past used the Indian Postal Service. You will have to go to one of the main offices to be able to do international parcel. DO NOT pack your items at home. Take it in a plastic cover, with a list of enclosed items written down. They will parcel it for you. I can't remember the cost per kilo. One thing I heard from in-laws is that they do not accept things like sambar and rasam powder or other spices.

9. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

Last few times when in-laws were here, my son was small enough that they were entertained. This year he is older so a little less time to spend with them. MIL is satisfied watching TV, since that is something she does always even in Chennai. FIL helps around the house - dusting, cutting veges etc. He started going for a walk every evening and has made a group of friends and they meet everyday at the park and talk (mostly Indian politics :) ).

When parents are here, my father disappears after breakfast (atleast in the past). In the city we lived in earlier, bus was free for senior citizens and there was a senior citizen center in the main park district building. He would take the bus to the mall, walk for an hour, take another bus to the center, meet up with others, watch TV, read papers, play some games - even attended computer classes once- and would take the bus back home in time for lunch. Mom spends about an hour or more daily in pooja. Then she would read a lot, go out for walks, do some gardening. She would sneak into the kitchen early and start cleaning up the dishwasher, make coffee, and even start cutting some veges for the day.

1 person likes this.
  10. rswarna

rswarna New IL'ite

@Murphybaby77, @Ranchu
    The shop next to Hanuman Mandir also has lot of Navarathri Kolu Bommais and they also sell Kolu Stands.
    Thanks,
    Swarna