How to improve good communication skills n language skills????

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by tejudatla, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Sulkypetal

Sulkypetal New IL'ite

Hi

great tips (especially, build confidence and interact more with others, practice in front of mirror) and the websites given by others are also really good. I actually have used some of the sites in class when I am giving an English workshop.
    Some more tips:
    1) Role play various situations with her: whether it is visiting at a friend's house and how she could act in a new environment to the actual job interview. Do a mock. Role play is one of the best teaching tools.
    Also role paly situations with her where assertive behavior is required: simple everyday situations to help her build confidence- some suggestions just to give you an idea, you'll come up with others:
    Build up 1-2 min conversations and role paly these-
    i. Excuse me, you're jumping the queue, I was next in line.
    ii.In a store- Hello, I need some service around here
    iii. In a restaurant- this is not what I ordered.
    iv. Negotiating for taxi with others who flagged it down
    v. Asking someone to return money you have loaned them etc etc to help her become more assertive.

2) Help her with thinking on the feet skills- Have a gab fest party at home with friends. Chill with some juice, write down some cool impromptu topics on slips of paper, scramble them up, one person starts- draws a chit of paper and starts talking on that topic for just 1 minute, time it so people don't talk too long and it stays interesting, The short timing will also not alarm the nervous one too much. Topics should range from fun to serious.
    My Miss Universe acceptance speech.
    Talk about nothing for 1 minute.
    Should military service be mandatory for all over 18 in India (your country)
    Or, keep it simple-- maybe 1 word topics. Start off like this-
    What is the first thing that comes into your mind when you hear ...?
    Africa
    Hippies
    Rain
    Money

Have given a couple of tips, others have given good suggestions and I don't want to overload. However do NOT neglect tongue twisters. They are awesome for her, you, me and everybody to make our speech clear and fluid.

i. A lusty lady loved a lawyer and longed to lure him from his laboratory.
    ii. What time does the wristwatch strap shop shut?
    iii.Red lorry, yellow lorry, red lorry, yellow lorry.
    iv. Betty Botter had some butter,
    "But," she said, "this butter's bitter.
    If I bake this bitter butter,
    it would make my batter bitter.
    But a bit of better butter--
    that would make my batter better."
    v. Six thick thistle sticks. Six thick thistles stick.

All the best!

“Words are the most powerful drugs used by mankind” Rudyard Kipling.

2. stevejackson

stevejackson New IL'ite

Hey teja, I think your freind is a lil bit shy. She should see english news channels and repeat the sentences loud and properlly. She also should interact with persons as much she can.

3. KalyaniBhaskar

KalyaniBhaskar Bronze IL'ite

Hi Teja,

I am Kalyani from Chennai. Bumped into this thread and thought I would share some of my ideas with you.

Any language (speaking in particular) is picked up by listening and talking to people.
    So, one should have good friends to talk to.
    1. Most importantly, they should not make fun of or mock at the learner while learning a language. Otherwise, this develops a complex which can make a learner shy away from learning and further acquaintances can be lost. As far as the learner is concerned, he/she should have courage to ignore any apparent fun that a good friend makes. One should take it as a challenge.

2. One of the best way is to see English movies with subtitles. Select good movies that can improve English. She can visit www.filmsite.org/ which gives many movies with plot summary, and most of the dialogues for a movie. There are 100s of movies there. It should not be difficult being in US watching some of those best movies with subtitles.d

3. Reading comics like TINTIN, ASTERIX, PHANTOM etc.

4. Being gregarious is of course important. If she is diffident then she can have a couple of friends, may be, with whom she feels comfortable, and attend any function/party. So that if there is any difficulty when she speaks friends can help.

Learning English the British way is what I prefer, as the language had its origin in that European country. This helps a lot in improving both speaking and writing skills.
    Nevertheless, the American style of speaking is necessary for she is in US and has to be dealing with many people over there.

Hope this helps.

My 2 cents
    Kalyani

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  4. nilaa

nilaa Senior IL'ite

Watching good English programs and movies will be of great help. Constantly visualising oneself on reaching the goal will also give desired benefits.
    all the best for your friend,
    nilaa