How to improve good communication skills n language skills????

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by tejudatla, Feb 17, 2007.

1. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Hi Frns,

Here I need your suggestions again. I have a frnd n she has been attending the interviews for the last 6 months I guess. But no luck !!!! The problem is she haven't good communication skills also she had a language problem ( not very fluent in English)and thus all her interviews weren't successful. She is an African ofcourse....

She is very reserved person some how I came to know her problem from my frns. I tried to tell her to interact with people n try to mingle with every one. I also advised her to watch English news by reading the sentences comes on screen, by reading articles loudly and clearly ....

She is very new to Software field had some experience in US . Now trying for Software jobs in Canada now ...The problem is the interviewer's couldn't understand her answers clearly during the interview time. She asked me how could she satisfy the interviewers with what type of questions she can question the interviewer..... I gave a few ideas like about their project, team size, what kind of tools they were using bla bla bla.....

Ladies, plz give some ideas to improve her communication skills n some interview tips so that it will be very helpful for her (ofcourse for every one who need )at this tough time.....

I helped her as much as I can. Now she need all your ideas n suggestions. So I welcome you all for your valuble suggestions....

Thanq in advance....
    Tej:wave

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Teja,

I really felt a bit guilty as to not started my post about interview and communication as planned last week. Any way let me answer your question. Yes for any interview though you may have good technical knowledge or on the job experience the way you can communicate your views plays a major role and it will help a bit more points. You are right asking your friend to watch news and read news articles but that will help in her language skills alone. It will not help her in communication. You have stated that she is a reserved person. Help her socialize dont just ask her to but you as a good friend pull her into socializing. If possible take her to your friends circle if time permits introduce her to all your friends. Infact I feel personally that she has drawn a circle around herself and shows herself reserved just because she is having an inferiority complex about her language skills and communication skills.

Let me know the result.

3. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Rajmi,

You are absolutely right. She has the inferiority complex about her communication and language. That's y she avoid to mingle with people. She is also living in our apt. SO I am a bit closer to her n expressed some feelings with me. We go some times for outing n tried to mingle with my frns. They r also very supportive n encourage her with their frnly words. Now she wasn't that scary like in the beginning. But she still have the problem with communication. SHe went for English classes for some time but discontinued due some problems.... She doesn't liked to come out of her boundaries. She is very knowledgable and intelligent. All she need is improve her language and clear her voice to express her feelings to others... I told her to communicate with her family in English only so that slowly she could pick up .... She was frustrated with her interviews. She was very good with her answers but she told me that the interviewers couldn't understand some times what she was telling.... So give her any tips to improve manily her communication...

Thanq for your quick reply n I will try my best....

4. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Teja,

Your friend will take some time to get out by herself. If you can help her by pulling her in and taking her with you wherever you go, make her do the things herself without your help , she can do that easily.

I know what she is going through since I have been through that myself.
    It is very difficult to get the self confidence when you have the inferiority complex. Ask her to participate in the chat and discussion forums. She'll start getting the confidence , slowly. That was the way I used to help myself.

I had the command of the language but to express myself, it was very difficult and with that I had that Inferiority complex. It'll take her some hard work to get through that. But she can do it.

Latha :wave

5. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Latha,

I agree with u. One who has inferiority complex can't come out very easily. U have given the good idea to participate in chat and discussion forms. I hope she can improve her language skills definitely by participating in this kind of forums...I told her the similar idea like to talk in phone with some body or answer atleast her own family calls....

Hopefully she can utilise all these tips given by you ...

Thanq very much Latha for your reply and the sharing your experience. It's the common problem to every one only in the beginning. Once they get to use them definitely they can get more confidence n can do any thing with out other's support...

Love

6. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Dear Teja,

The main thing she has to do is to start thinking in English what all she wants to say or do . Let her start chatting in the net itself. Then she'll get the proficiency to think in English easily.
    All the best to her
    Latha :wave

7. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Teja,

S like Lathaji said ask her to chat in English, also ask her to stand in front of a mirror and read articles from English News Papers and English books, that will help her increase her confidence level and learn her body language and lip movements and correct herself and at the same time improve her English too

8. tejudatla

tejudatla Bronze IL'ite

Dear Latha n Rajmi,

Thanq so much for ur advices. As u guys said she is practising now a days by reading article, news papers ,watching news. But she still needs to come out n
    interact with all her frns n family....

I tried to get some info for her to improve her language skills and I also think she has to listen properly to understand what other's saying...

10 tips to improve the way you speak English
    Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Glossary - UsingEnglish.com
    Web Resources for Communication Skills
    EFL.NET Improve your English

Learning English Audio

Learn English Online! Free Audio Course from 1-language.com
    BBC World Service | Learning English | Watch and Listen - Pronunciation Tips
    Pronunciation: British English and American English

Practising infront of the mirror is a good idea that I also used to do when I was attending for my interviews. A small improvement is She is chatting with her family who r in her country... Only in English ( Before she chated only in her mother tongue )..

Thanq Frns for your valuble suggestionsn I hope she will definitely improve soon.....

Luv

9. snehaa

snehaa New IL'ite

10. RAKHIKapil

RAKHIKapil New IL'ite

hi
    To improve good communication skill only communication can b the best way dont hesitate to interect with persons. dont feel shy in speaking english even if ur a bit weak in it. reading a lot of material is the another way to make ur vocab strong and whatever u read should b little aloud. Give ur views or even do write ur views and express them on the paper and finally at the end of day u will feel v content.
    i do feel that my views will b helpful
    bye