1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to help your kids make friends in a new environment?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by vijisriram, Jun 22, 2007.

1. vijisriram

vijisriram New IL'ite

hi all,

dis is vijisriram from chennai. i ve an 8 year old son rahulsriram. prev. we were residin at ramavaram, since my marriage. my son was very much accustomed to that place n friends over there. recently we got shifted from ramavaram to virugambakkam. dis place also has nearly 400 flats with swimmin pool, play area etc. my son initially was very upset on comin here as he will not get friends. So i ve planned 2 arrange a get together of some of d kids of his age group here. Now 2 some extent he has started playin with guys. Can anyone suggest me some other ideas also so dat my son will b happy over here? As elders its easy for us to change places but kids really suffer.

luv
    vijisriram.

1 person likes this.

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Re: how 2 help ur kid make frinds in new envnment

Hi Viji,
    I can understand your anxeity. It always happens with kids to get adjusted to new society. All those efforts you are putting in are good enough, also let him free by himself it will take time but he will definitely make friends for sure all by himself. Forced friendship will make no good also when he brings home some of his friends entertain them and help him

3. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

I took this article from a webite! It may help u out....

How do we make and keep friends? Here are a few tips:

1.Be a good listener. People love talking about themselves so give them a chance by asking. Tell them a bit about your interests and activities too.
    2.Don’t pretend to be someone you are not. Be yourself. People who like you the way you are make the best friends.
    3.When someone is talking to you look involved and interested, not bored. If others look occupied or are busy, don’t disturb them by starting to chat.
    4.If you have a ball or game to play with, ask others to join in. If you’re too shy to ask the ‘popular’ kids, ask someone who doesn’t have so many friends
    5.Compliment others once in a while, but don’t go overboard. Everyone likes a pat on the back.
    6.Be helpful. Offer your pencil or pen if someone has forgotten theirs. Volunteer to participate in a project.
    7.Everyone loves a cheerful person. Greet people with a smile. Crack a joke or two.
    Remember, you can’t demand that others be your friends. Don’t be bossy, complaining, boastful, mean, bullying and sarcastic...just be friendly'!

1 person likes this.
  4. Sashmitaa

Sashmitaa Senior IL'ite

Hey Anu,

The first two points u mentioned suits for adults too. I read it somewhere and for some days I tried to follow. Good,I followed but after that me interupting when others talk starts:cry: . Better late than never. I have to start following those good things again.

Thanks for reminding
    Lakshmi

5. lalithasai

lalithasai Senior IL'ite

Dear Viji,

The truth is kids are very expressive, they may crib and cry but they are better than adults in socializing.

I believe that you've given him a right start by hosting a get together, you can probably discuss with the rest of the kids parents and have a picnic. Kids mingle better when left alone, so it's good if parents don't interfere in the beginning tit-bit quarrels and leave the kids to figure out their own friends.

Don't worry, your son would have more friends than you very soon. Because kids are better than adults :) .

6. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

I took that piece of information (my previous post) from www. Babloo.com
    lot of interesting articles for children/parents & teenagers!

20 people like this.